Long Range Shooting

I mean seriously is there any point to playing this game?

It does not matter what the attributes are of the player, or how good the goalkeeper is.

Just about 100% of all long range shots fly into the net.

The only way a long range effort is not going in the net is when its not on target, and I would say 9 out of 10 efforts are on target.

I'm on the verge of throwing out yet another FM game and heading back to FM 2007. The last good version in my opinion before this silly 3D nonsense. The match engine has been so flawed since then its pathetic.

It does not matter what the attributes are of the player, or how good the goalkeeper is.

The only way a long range effort is not going in the net is when its not on target, and I would say 9 out of 10 efforts are on target.

I'm on the verge of throwing out yet another FM game and heading back to FM 2007. The last good version in my opinion before this silly 3D nonsense. The match engine has been so flawed since then its pathetic.

That's a lie. I watched a very boring 0-0 game in full in my Career save. And the amount of long shots in the game that didn't lead to goals was in double figures between the two teams.

Yes many long shots go in but 9/10 is not correct. Of course, if you only have key highlights most of the long shots you see will result in goals.

You do know you don't have to play with the silly 3D nonsense as you put it :thup:

Most of long shot in real life DO NOT result in goals though. The ratio is far too great. Plus it does not matter who the player is shooting etc. A guy with an attribute of long shots 4 has just smashed 2 30 yarders into my net past Brad Friedal. Explain that.

And I know you dont have to watch it in 3D but the fact is the match engine is flawed no matter how you watch it.

Dont get me started on defenders not defending.

Or on keepers staying on there line. eg. the ball is played through the strikers are running onto it, and despite the GK actually being closer to the ball than the forward he just stands there and allows the forward to get the ball!

• Administrators
There is an acknowledged problem with the accuracy of long shots. It is being addressed.

What this man said. Also can you sell me your players if 100% of their long shots go in, as my teams long shots most certainly don't :(

What this man said. Also can you sell me your players if 100% of their long shots go in, as my teams long shots most certainly don't :(

Same here. As I said - a boring 0-0 game - and I was praying for either side to score a screamer yet neither did. Saying that, I'm also struggling to find these over the top scoring strikers to sign, as my number 1 striker has 9 goals in 22 games and the other 5 in 20 games :(

Apparently this doesnt happen, Its all in our minds. Apparently because they are not exactly 70 yard screamers they dont count. I just tried pointing this out and low and behold the thread is locked, I am accused as being some troll and nothing is wrong with long shots at all.

Everytime you see a long range pile driver hit the roof of the net from a player with a long shot rating of 3, then before you complain check the replay. Everyone is sure its an imagination, So check the replay and be sure.

Neil Brock

Can you address the GK staying on his line as referenced above or the Defenders basically being pointless?

Change the keeper's role. I have Reina as sweeper-keeper, and on attack (i think) and he's always running out of his box to clear through-balls.

Apparently this doesnt happen, Its all in our minds. Apparently because they are not exactly 70 yard screamers they dont count. I just tried pointing this out and low and behold the thread is locked, I am accused as being some troll and nothing is wrong with long shots at all.

Everytime you see a long range pile driver hit the roof of the net from a player with a long shot rating of 3, then before you complain check the replay. Everyone is sure its an imagination, So check the replay and be sure.

It's already been stated, confirmed and clarified that there is an issue with the accuracy of long shots and that it is being looked at.

You are a troll. ;)

SI have confirmed that this is something that they are adressing in the next patch. It is however no where as bad as you point out.

Neil Brock

Can you address the GK staying on his line as referenced above or the Defenders basically being pointless?

A search will answer your question in full since there are about a dozen threads on the subject, but in brief, a couple of SI staff have acknowledged that defending is being looked at for the 10.2 patch.

Oh dear.

Alias account to banned via two trolling posts in 15 minutes?

Everyone else - please don't feed the troll!

For me, the amount of long shots attempted in a game is a bigger problem than the accuracy of those shots.

Setting the tactics of each player to "Rarely" in the long shots slider bar on the tactics screen does not seem to have the impact it should.

Its as if the players have all trained the "Tries long shots often" PPM and its a hidden stat that you cant see on their profile.

Good to see they are working on the accuracy issue though.

It's already been stated, confirmed and clarified that there is an issue with the accuracy of long shots and that it is being looked at.

You are a troll. ;)

Let me get this right just so I understand.

I complain about long range shooting issues which plague this game.

You declare me as a troll for doing so.

Then you admit SI are both aware of the long range shooting issue and are fixing it.

:rolleyes: Logic eh, Who needs it.

PS - You make Alias sound so dirty, Why? You let me sign back up again. Strange.

Most of long shot in real life DO NOT result in goals though. The ratio is far too great. Plus it does not matter who the player is shooting etc. A guy with an attribute of long shots 4 has just smashed 2 30 yarders into my net past Brad Friedal. Explain that.

And I know you dont have to watch it in 3D but the fact is the match engine is flawed no matter how you watch it.

Or on keepers staying on there line. eg. the ball is played through the strikers are running onto it, and despite the GK actually being closer to the ball than the forward he just stands there and allows the forward to get the ball!

There's your problem, you're playing Brad Friedal in goal, he's rubbish. You should try playing Brad Friedel instead, he's a much better keeper.

For me, the amount of long shots attempted in a game is a bigger problem than the accuracy of those shots.

Setting the tactics of each player to "Rarely" in the long shots slider bar on the tactics screen does not seem to have the impact it should.

Its as if the players have all trained the "Tries long shots often" PPM and its a hidden stat that you cant see on their profile.

Good to see they are working on the accuracy issue though.

Your players having lots of long shots can be due to a number of reasons:

- Having no one to pass to

- Not being allowed the freedom to be more adventurous

- Being allowed too much freedom but not having the mental or technical abilities required for such a role

- Being poor under pressure

- Playing at a high tempo - not allowing players time to get into supporting positions or allowing time to pick a pass

- Having no one making runs into or already positioned in the box awaiting a pass

:)

Let me get this right just so I understand.

I complain about long range shooting issues which plague this game.

You declare me as a troll for doing so.

Then you admit SI are both aware of the long range shooting issue and are fixing it.

:rolleyes: Logic eh, Who needs it.

PS - You make Alias sound so dirty, Why? You let me sign back up again. Strange.

Trolling = posting in an unconstructive manner, generally with over-exaggeration etc.

If you want to complain, do it constructively rather than ranting with hyperbole and lies. :)

Oh dear.

Alias account to banned via two trolling posts in 15 minutes?

Everyone else - please don\'t feed the troll!

Matt or SI Mods -

Do you think it would be worth creating a sticky of the bugs/ME definciancies?

This would simply clarify to the forum which ones you are aware of and that you will attempt to fix. No time scales required on when they will be fixed, just an as aknowledgement.

This would surely decrease the amount of duplicate threads. I undestand people would still air their problems, however at least there will be a reference point for forum users to know what is a known issue and what isnt.

SI have confirmed that this is something that they are adressing in the next patch. It is however no where as bad as you point out.

Although, to be fair to the OP, it is a signifcant problem. I decided to play my reserve keeper in midfield, just to see how extreme the problem was, had him attempt frequent long shots and he scored a thirty yard screamer for me in his first game as a midfielder. Much as I love the Football Manager series (been playing since CM3) that just shouldn't be happening.

Matt or SI Mods -

Do you think it would be worth creating a sticky of the bugs/ME definciancies?

This would simply clarify to the forum which ones you are aware of and that you will attempt to fix. No time scales required on when they will be fixed, just an as aknowledgement.

This would surely decrease the amount of duplicate threads. I undestand people would still air their problems, however at least there will be a reference point for forum users to know what is a known issue and what isnt.

Indeed, it would - I would think a bug forum with a load of sub forums to do with every facet of the game would be a good idea... Oh wait.

Indeed, it would - I would think a bug forum with a load of sub forums to do with every facet of the game would be a good idea... Oh wait.

tbh most of the posts in the bugs forum are either not bugs, or all about the same few issues. Similarly a lot of the issues raised are subjective and not neccessarily bugs or something that needs fixing.

How clever of you monkeywool - we all know they are there.

However, lots of users (especially new) come staright to this sub forum in particular to air their views.

Thanks for the constructive reply though. ;)

God forbid we complain without writing a Ph.D outling what exactly went wrong, How it can be fixed and what new forumula's can be used.

I dont know how we can be more clear about this than saying long shots are absurd especially a 30 yard screamer from a goalkeeper playing in midfield.

People wont admit this, but it IS a game breaker. Unless of course you just watch text commentary because its not as noticeable that way. But damn, Nearly every game I play has some kind of brazillian goal in it.

PS - Aliases are not welcome apparently, So why let me sign back up? It makes no sense.

tbh most of the posts in the bugs forum are either not bugs, or all about the same few issues. Similarly a lot of the issues raised are subjective and not neccessarily bugs or something that needs fixing.

Most of the whining posts here are not even bugs either. Most of them are just subjective and more than likely to with with being poor at the game so...

Most of the whining posts here are not even bugs either. Most of them are just subjective and more than likely to with with being poor at the game so...

Perhaps, but when my reserve keeper is playing out of position as a midfielder and scoring with strikes of 30 yards that Paul Scholes would be proud of, I'd have to take issue with you over this.

God forbid we complain without writing a Ph.D outling what exactly went wrong, How it can be fixed and what new forumula's can be used.

I dont know how we can be more clear about this than saying long shots are absurd especially a 30 yard screamer from a goalkeeper playing in midfield.

People wont admit this, but it IS a game breaker. Unless of course you just watch text commentary because its not as noticeable that way. But damn, Nearly every game I play has some kind of brazillian goal in it.

PS - Aliases are not welcome apparently, So why let me sign back up? It makes no sense.

Well he's persistant.

SvenGoranErikssonsWorldManager or DirectorOfFootball (the one with Ally McCoist on the cover) anyone? :confused:

Not just directed at him, but anyone else who wants to complain: If you want to make claims about something being "gamebreaking" or if you want to make a point and be over the top about it, at least use some kind of evidence to back it up..

- Being allowed too much freedom but not having the mental or technical abilities required for such a role

- Playing at a high tempo - not allowing players time to get into supporting positions or allowing time to pick a pass

- Having no one making runs into or already positioned in the box awaiting a pass

Its not just my players..... Its the AI players too (The opposition)

You are right though, it could be my players/tactics that are to blame.

I mostly play a target man up front alone (Dzeko type player) and my two wide guys are inside forwards/attack. I also play an AMC who is a playmaker/attack. I then set two DM's to play defensive roles infront of the back four. My tactics are usually fluid and others in default. I alter things to suit opposition on occaision.

In my first season as Lyon manager I bought 19 year old (I think?) Capoue to develop as one of my DM's. He developed so well he became a regular starter with Toulalan.

In his first season he scored 8 goals for Lyon..... All from long range.

This is despite the fact he plays a deep DM on defensive duties with "Tries long shots rarely" in the tactics screen and he has a crappy long shot stat. BTW, his DM partner, Toulalan scored 2 goals that season. One header from a corner and one long shot. With exactly the same instructions except he lurks outside area at corners and Capoue stays back at all times. Toulalan had about 10/15 more appearances.

Id love to know how many long shots Capoue attempted in total but I only watch "Goals" at the moment because of comp issues. I think the total long shots for the season was a lot for him tho.

Is there a way to find out how many long shots a player has tried in a season?

1 - why are you playing your reserve keeper in midfield?

2 - why would a reserve keeper not be able to put one in the top corner from 30 yards?

1. As an experiment. After being on the wrong end of having too many mediocre opposing players banging in wonder goals against me, I wanted to see how flawed the ME was and how his low stats, and playing so obviously out of position, were actually interpreted and represented by the ME.

2. Because he has a first touch of 7 and kicking skills of 10. He's scored three goals from 20 yards or more in five games. That's utterly exceptional for someone playing out of position with stats like that.

Its not just my players..... Its the AI players too (The opposition)

You are right though, it could be my players/tactics that are to blame.

I mostly play a target man up front alone (Dzeko type player) and my two wide guys are inside forwards/attack. I also play an AMC who is a playmaker/attack. I then set two DM's to play defensive roles infront of the back four. My tactics are usually fluid and others in default. I alter things to suit opposition on occaision.

In my first season as Lyon manager I bought 19 year old (I think?) Capoue to develop as one of my DM's. He developed so well he became a regular starter with Toulalan.

In his first season he scored 8 goals for Lyon..... All from long range.

This is despite the fact he plays a deep DM on defensive duties with "Tries long shots rarely" in the tactics screen and he has a crappy long shot stat. BTW, his DM partner, Toulalan scored 2 goals that season. One header from a corner and one long shot. With exactly the same instructions except he lurks outside area at corners and Capoue stays back at all times. Toulalan had about 10/15 more appearances.

Id love to know how many long shots Capoue attempted in total but I only watch "Goals" at the moment because of comp issues. I think the total long shots for the season was a lot for him tho.

Is there a way to find out how many long shots a player has tried in a season?

If you're having trouble getting the ball into the box, try the 'work ball into box' shout. If you save your tactic after using it it should be saved for in future. :)

I don't think there is a way of checking the number of long shots unfortunately (correct me if I'm wrong!) but it might be a good addition!

As for the AI taking lots of long shots, it may be due to your defence being effective and forcing the opposition into taking shots. As already stated, the issue with them is largely the effectiveness and this will be addressed in the patch. In the meantime I'd recommend perhaps closing down a bit more to increase the chances of long shots being blocked or deflected, or play higher up and with an offside trap so they try and play through balls rather than attempt to shoot.

Lucas Leiva scores goals from long range IRL and he is complete baws at everything.

Ha, ha. So what's the point of ratings if they provide no remotely accurate guide as to how a player may perform in a role? Or how they're interpreted by the ME and the animations?

Ha, ha. So what's the point of ratings if they provide no remotely accurate guide as to how a player may perform in a role? Or how they're interpreted by the ME and the animations?

The point is that they are interpreted, SI have already said they are looking at long shots and it will be sorted, so why the hell do people still whine about it incessantly?

The point is that they are interpreted, SI have already said they are looking at long shots and it will be sorted, so why the hell do people still whine about it incessantly?

I'm not whining, I'm simply illustrating a point to you. People are frustrated because the bug really makes a nonsense of the whole concept of the game. If I can play a reserve keeper in midfield and watch him bang in the wonder goals, then (to me at least) there is a genuine, significant issue here and it's not a question, as you originally maintained, of people 'whining' because they were just poor at the game.

I'm not whining, I'm simply illustrating a point to you. People are frustrated because the bug really makes a nonsense of the whole concept of the game. If I can play a reserve keeper in midfield and watch him bang in the wonder goals, then (to me at least) there is a genuine, significant issue here and it's not a question, as you originally maintained, of people 'whining' because they were just poor at the game.

And my point is that a lot of people haven't noticed a problem - also doing things like playing a GK in midfield "might" just be that silly that SI never looked at it in the first place.

I know teams do it IRL friendlies but even so, if one of these keepers smashed one into the top corner from 30 yards out (Something which a keeper should be able to do with their foot) would that be unrealistic and a bug?

I know teams do it IRL friendlies but even so, if one of these keepers smashed one into the top corner from 30 yards out (Something which a keeper should be able to do with their foot) would that be unrealistic and a bug?

I think you are clutching at straws here a little - this sounds bizarre to me. There is no way (in professional football) that a reserve GK would score a number of long range shots in a sequence of competitive matches.

The first touch, technique, finishing, long shot and composure attributes also shouldnt allow this on the game as they wont be very high at all.

That being said - again, it is a fault which has been recognised and will be resolved. :)

If you're having trouble getting the ball into the box, try the 'work ball into box' shout. If you save your tactic after using it it should be saved for in future. :)

I don't think there is a way of checking the number of long shots unfortunately (correct me if I'm wrong!) but it might be a good addition!

As for the AI taking lots of long shots, it may be due to your defence being effective and forcing the opposition into taking shots. As already stated, the issue with them is largely the effectiveness and this will be addressed in the patch. In the meantime I'd recommend perhaps closing down a bit more to increase the chances of long shots being blocked or deflected, or play higher up and with an offside trap so they try and play through balls rather than attempt to shoot.

Thanks for the tips. But Im not having any problems with tactics. The lyon save was just an example to show that there are too many long shots in the game .... Regardless of players, tactics, teams ETC.

I have many more saves with diferent teams/players/tactics and its always the same.... Long shots galore.

Check out the match stats page after/during a match and Im sure you'll see way too many long shots in relationship to your players/team/tactics..... You'll also see the same from the oppossition. If you don't have this problem in your games, then you have perfected FM10 and need to share screenies/tactics ect with a LOT of us on the forum. Lots of us are saying the same thing about long shots whilst those that defend the point are few and far between.

Watch most real life games closely and you'll see a number of long shots that are almost instantly forgetable. The problem, as already stated, is the accuracy of them. While in reality they may be blocked, deflected or be horribly off target, in the game there's an increased likeliness of a long shot resulting in a goal.

If your tactics are right I don't think theres any real issue with the number of long shots though.

For all those who claim that "all" long shots go in and its a bug I ask you one question. Why can't you abuse this "bug"? Last year the main "bug" was the unstoppable corner tactic which could get your defender like 20 goals a year. So you should be able to abuse this "bug" as well mate.

And is it just me or have exagerations gone up like 1000000000% this year?

For all those who claim that "all" long shots go in and its a bug I ask you one question. Why can't you abuse this "bug"? Last year the main "bug" was the unstoppable corner tactic which could get your defender like 20 goals a year. So you should be able to abuse this "bug" as well mate.

At least 1000000000% :D

im not exaggerating but 80% of the goals i see on this game are long shots

im not exaggerating but 80% of the goals i see on this game are long shots

What league are you playing in? Try the level 10 download. That way no goals will be scored for or against you and you will draw 0-0 continuosly. That way the long shot "bug" will not bother you.

What league are you playing in? Try the level 10 download. That way no goals will be scored for or against you and you will draw 0-0 continuosly. That way the long shot "bug" will not bother you.

stop being a pleb, if you this 'bug' doesnt affect you then why are you posting in this thread? or do you just like mocking other posters with problems with the game? i dont have any crash dumps but i dont go into that thread mocking them

stop being a pleb, if you this 'bug' doesnt affect you then why are you posting in this thread? or do you just like mocking other posters with problems with the game? i dont have any crash dumps but i dont go into that thread mocking them

If you read his post further up, his point was that the long shots work in the human users favour aswell.

Archived