Help with Central Defence

Im into my second season with City in a network game ... done well first season finishing second on same points as Utd who pipped me on Goal Diffrence ...

In the first season I did have some trouble with one of my central defenders randomly getting really poor ratings, sumtimes as low as 4.6 .....

This seems to have got worse this season with it being really random and applying to either one of my CD at diffrent times, altho I am currently top of the lge, actually now 2nd on same points as my mate whos arsenal ..... I just got hammered 5 nil away to chelski and 4 nil away to liverpool one after the other ...... with my CD leaking goals like a sivve.

I would like to hear from anyone who thinks theyve nailed the defensive side of the game, as I thought I had, and perhaps its just one of those things where my team was off form and I was playing against the two top teams at their own manors .....

But which roles u should put the CD's on, what duties you recommend ... would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Im into my second season with City in a network game ... done well first season finishing second on same points as Utd who pipped me on Goal Diffrence ...

In the first season I did have some trouble with one of my central defenders randomly getting really poor ratings, sumtimes as low as 4.6 .....

This seems to have got worse this season with it being really random and applying to either one of my CD at diffrent times, altho I am currently top of the lge, actually now 2nd on same points as my mate whos arsenal ..... I just got hammered 5 nil away to chelski and 4 nil away to liverpool one after the other ...... with my CD leaking goals like a sivve.

I would like to hear from anyone who thinks theyve nailed the defensive side of the game, as I thought I had, and perhaps its just one of those things where my team was off form and I was playing against the two top teams at their own manors .....

But which roles u should put the CD\'s on, what duties you recommend ... would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I certainly havent \'nailed\' the defensive side of the game, bu I have seen drastic improvements in my defending.

This may not be a great help to you if you wish to use the tactics creator, however I was having similar issues with defending when I was using it. My defenders ratings were poor as were the amount of goals I was conceding.

I switched back to the sliders and the experience I have gained through using them in previous FM versions and \'hey presto\'! My defending is now excellent all across the pitch.

That is my personal take - I simply couldnt adjust to the pre-set positions and such in the creator. I feel a lot more at home now. However be warned, when you switch back to classic you can no longer use touchiline shouts, and will have to edit things manually as you had to before in previous versions. :)

What role should we give our two centre backs???

Should we set them both to central defender, or should we use limited defender or ball playing defender???

Help please

As I said, I actually didnt \'\"get\" the tactic creator. That aside I would use a limited defender for players with poor decisions, passing etc. It is for those defenders that you just want to lump the ball and are there as a \"wall\" if you like. They are not limited in terms of they are pants, they Just perform basic duties.

Only choose ball playing defender if he has decent creativity (for a DC), passing ability and decsions.

Thanks for your replies guys ... and asprilla ... i dont want to revert to the classic tactical set up as although it does take a while to get your hear round, there are definately certain features of the new tactics that are excellent .. also, you can click on the advanced button and use the sliders there to change the pre set options.

As i said I am reasonably successful, having finished on 80 pts in 2nd place with city in season one, and currently joint top with arsenal in season 2, but i just feel that i am missing that final peice of the jigsaw tactically in particular at the back.

I have ready previous posts from people giving an actual breakdown of how they play their centre back pairing, therefore could you please post how you play them in terms of the folllowing;

Do you play them as per the computer says i.e. central defender all greyed out as the computer says

or

Do you tick the boxes and use the sliders on advanced, if so could you give a description or a screen shot of the best way you feel to set up 2 cetral defenders.

I generally play with a counter attach starting strategy, and with a rigid mentality, however i do tick many boxes of most players in the advanced menu and tweek based on previous FM playing experience and determined by the specific player attributes.

I am playing with Lescott and Richards as my main centre back pairing but am thinking of strenghening with Naldo from Werder Bremen in the January window.

Cheers.

Thanks for your replies guys ... and asprilla ... i dont want to revert to the classic tactical set up as although it does take a while to get your hear round, there are definately certain features of the new tactics that are excellent .. also, you can click on the advanced button and use the sliders there to change the pre set options.

As i said I am reasonably successful, having finished on 80 pts in 2nd place with city in season one, and currently joint top with arsenal in season 2, but i just feel that i am missing that final peice of the jigsaw tactically in particular at the back.

I have ready previous posts from people giving an actual breakdown of how they play their centre back pairing, therefore could you please post how you play them in terms of the folllowing;

Do you play them as per the computer says i.e. central defender all greyed out as the computer says

or

Do you tick the boxes and use the sliders on advanced, if so could you give a description or a screen shot of the best way you feel to set up 2 cetral defenders.

I generally play with a counter attach starting strategy, and with a rigid mentality, however i do tick many boxes of most players in the advanced menu and tweek based on previous FM playing experience and determined by the specific player attributes.

I am playing with Lescott and Richards as my main centre back pairing but am thinking of strenghening with Naldo from Werder Bremen in the January window.

Cheers.

No worries mate.

I just thought I would mention it as I was having the same issue as you, and after I reverted back everything was hunky doorey.

Good luck :)

Archived