This boy is going to be a star.

This is a thread to tell everyone when you realised (maybe falsely) a youth player is a bit special and will go all the way. IRL example being Rooney scoring against Arsenal for Everton.

For me it has just happened. Having signed Marco Verratti on the basis of a glowing scout report I admit I had an inkling he would become a good player. As the manager of Ajax a team focused on youth development he would be one amongst many shinning lights who may or may not make the grade in my first team. Basically he was not signalled out as being especially special in a youth team full of talent. Now my Ajax team is in the third round of the league cup and playing away at a lower league side (TONEGIDO) so I decide to throw a few youngsters in (Verratti and Rodney Sneijder for example). We are into the 80th minute of the game and my young Ajax side are winning by 2 goals scored by Verratti and Siem de Jong when we get a free kick maybe thirty yards out to the right of the penalty area. Verratti, seeing the goalkeeper off his line and out of position has a shot of goal which sails in the opposite top corner over the keepers head. Basically the 16 year old Verratti has recreated Ronaldinho v Seamen and England from the 2002 world cup, this boy is going to be a bit special!

I had a similar moment of genius from my regen brazilian striker tony, who has 20 determination and flair.

A pplayer passed the ball to him from an indirect free kick 35 yards out and he whacked it in off the underside of the bar with a curling effort.

On another occasion we were losing with 5 mins left and he scored 2 to win us the game, one of them involved dribbling past 2 defenders, then - surrounded by 3 defenders - lobbing the keeper from an acute angle to win the game.

His form tailed off a little as the season progressed but I only paid 170 k for him, aged 20, now he's worth 7 million at 21 after 15 senior games for newcastle and 17 goals in our championship winning season

Archived