Anyone else loving the ball-winning midfielder?

My team didn't do too well in the first season with a wide diamond formation, but I stuck with it since everyone is always saying it's a bad idea to change tactics too much. In my second season two of my three strikers got struck with injury, which I figured was a great opportunity to change things around a bit.

I added a ball-winning midfielder (and made a few other minor changes) and never looked back. I seem to concede less, seem to dominate more matches, create more chances and win more points. I play a slightly lopsided formation (DMC, ML, AMR, AMC slightly left of the middle, MC slightly right of the middle). I have no proof for this, but I think it's all down to my MC. He was runner up signing of the season (first place went to my AMR (signed both on a free)). I see him make key interceptions, clear out scrambles in the box, and he even scored a hattrick one game!

only if hes good enough to perform that role though in the vital attributes. if he goes to close someone down and win the ball and hes not a good enough tackler or not strong or quick enough then it presents more space and an opportunity for the opposition.

yes i love a ball winner too. someones got to win the ball for your team

I use mascherano as a ball winning midfielder and he is amazing, he makes a huge diiference as a lot of my attacks begin with him winning the ball and passing it one of my attacking players. Although he set a new record for poor discipline in the epl last season with 14 yellows and 2 reds despite having tackling set to normal.

Archived