Crazy Wages

I'm 8 seasons into FM10 and have started to notice that players are wanting stupid amounts of money to move to me.

I've made Villa one of the best sides in the league and we have won 2 leagues and done well in Europe. As such I am now looking to get good squad players who I can rotate. However any player I find who is decent I have to bid a lot of money for (this was the same in FM09 so I'm used to this) but then the players always ask for daft money.

One lad was on £6000 a week and I agree a fee of £10m for him (valued at £3m) but I wanted him to develop as my scouts raved about him. He wanted £62,000 a week. He was 22 and hadn't achieved anything. You offer what you think is reasonable and they tell you to take a hike.

One lad I've tried to get at Chelsea is on £40,000 a week and is 25. He's worth £4.9m but £15m is what he would cost, then he asked for £110,000. Another Chelsea lad, 22 year old England International wanted £165,000 a week despite being keen to join me.

I've no problem with the wages being a bit higher but these are figures I'd only expect the elite who have done it at the top level to get, not rotation players. I'll pay £60,000 to £80,000 for squad players but having £100,000+ contracts will just screw me over financially. Yet I cannot sign anyone who doesn't want a huge fee and signing on fee.

Basically I can't get anyone as everything is too expensive. Please don't come here saying this is how the modern game is, it isn't. Top top players get these daft amounts but not EVERY player.

People who get paid like £6000, and then ask for £80,000 dont get signed by me, thats one of my policys.

Neither did that lad. I've checked all the other big moves this summer and they are all going for £60,000 a week with the odd £81,000 for top players moving between big clubs, as I expect. But everyone wants £120,000 from me. It's crazy.

Yeah it does seem a bit extreme IMO. When buying players and signing contract extentions it seems you can never barter and what the player wants he will always reject your offer untill you match their original demands! For me its a bit out of sink and needs tweaking.

IRL- I know the contract negotiations especially of top players take ages (well especially the greedy ones!) but going by FM its the players that hold the power to such a degree its just too much! Can you imagine SAF giving in to a new singing who wanted an obsene amount?

The players have too much power in FM regarding contracts! :)

I am not sure but my guess would be reputation issue here. If you want to sign a player from a better (or at least having higher rep) you would have to spend more on wages, like Man City.

Try signing players from lower league, I don't think they would demand much more than they are earning.

Maybe I am wrong but it's just my pure assumption.

I think it will be down to the players expecting you to pay comparable wages to what they see a team of your stature to pe paying, rather than anything related to what they were previously on, or you club's current wage structure (this is how I beieve it does worrk, by the way, not how I believe it nececerrally should work).

When I was yo-yo-ing between the PL and the championship as Brentford, I found that the same players would demand significantly higher wages when the tables had been re-calculated (mid june? - I can't remember exactly when it happens) if I was oing up, and lower if I was going down - because this is when club reputation is calculated.

For example, players would still demand a forture when I was mathematically relegated, but would reduce their demands when the table was showning me actually in the lower division. (Of course - higher reputation players whou would happilly sign for a mathematically relegated club, were no longer interested - swings and roundabouts)

Is this just because I was moving leagues? The efect was certainly more marked - but having spotted this effect, I did notice jumps in what players were asking for at this point in the off season, even when i didn't move league.

What does this mean for you?

Well the reason players are asking for silly money is because you've won two leagues and done well in europe - but I suspect you knew that beore you opened the thread - so that isn't particularly helpful.

In fact, none of it is really, in your situation - but if you just take one thing away from this post, let it be this: The next time you underperform and have a bad season - wait for the next pre-season to begin, and then now is the tie to start renewing everyone's contract and signing folk like crazy...

I think it will be down to the players expecting you to pay comparable wages to what they see a team of your stature to pe paying, rather than anything related to what they were previously on, or you club's current wage structure (this is how I beieve it does worrk, by the way, not how I believe it nececerrally should work).

When I was yo-yo-ing between the PL and the championship as Brentford, I found that the same players would demand significantly higher wages when the tables had been re-calculated (mid june? - I can't remember exactly when it happens) if I was oing up, and lower if I was going down - because this is when club reputation is calculated.

For example, players would still demand a forture when I was mathematically relegated, but would reduce their demands when the table was showning me actually in the lower division. (Of course - higher reputation players whou would happilly sign for a mathematically relegated club, were no longer interested - swings and roundabouts)

Is this just because I was moving leagues? The efect was certainly more marked - but having spotted this effect, I did notice jumps in what players were asking for at this point in the off season, even when i didn't move league.

What does this mean for you?

Well the reason players are asking for silly money is because you've won two leagues and done well in europe - but I suspect you knew that beore you opened the thread - so that isn't particularly helpful.

In fact, none of it is really, in your situation - but if you just take one thing away from this post, let it be this: The next time you underperform and have a bad season - wait for the next pre-season to begin, and then now is the tie to start renewing everyone's contract and signing folk like crazy...

Interesting theory, and probably true, but it shouldn't be like this. We've done well but non of my squad are on more then £80,000 a week so people can't be wanting comparable wages asking for £140,000.

Basically, I think the game needs tweaking and player demands need addressing, it was about right on FM09.

As for the suggestions I sign listed players or lower league, I do when they are goo enough, when I say rotation, I mean good enough to push the first team so I have to rotate, not back up. I want a quality 22 players.

Think about Real Madrid. They sign up tons of players and not all of them are superstars but everyone is signed for more than 2.000.000€/year

If u make your reputation to grow enough and you have a really wealthy economy, the people will ask for more money, just because u can pay it! It seems a nonsense but for example, we have 2 clubs; A have an average reputation and have mid range economy, and B is a really wealthy club with world reputation. Some mid guy called JUAN is free and A and B want to sign him. He will ask (for example) 300.000 €/year to sign with team A, because they use to pay that to all the players with his quality, experience and reputation. But if team B want his services, he will go to 1.000.000 €/year, because they pay it to all the players with similar status and of course he wont be less than them. And why he wont accept 500.000 €/year with team B? Because, in team A he would be a key player and get tons of games on his back. And in team B probably he would be sitting on the bench all the time. So if his career goes down because of no minutes on his team, he thinks "THEY SHOULD PAY ME A LOT!!"

Im sorry for my bad english... but I hope it helps.

Think about Real Madrid. They sign up tons of players and not all of them are superstars but everyone is signed for more than 2.000.000€/year

If u make your reputation to grow enough and you have a really wealthy economy, the people will ask for more money, just because u can pay it! It seems a nonsense but for example, we have 2 clubs; A have an average reputation and have mid range economy, and B is a really wealthy club with world reputation. Some mid guy called JUAN is free and A and B want to sign him. He will ask (for example) 300.000 €/year to sign with team A, because they use to pay that to all the players with his quality, experience and reputation. But if team B want his services, he will go to 1.000.000 €/year, because they pay it to all the players with similar status and of course he wont be less than them. And why he wont accept 500.000 €/year with team B? Because, in team A he would be a key player and get tons of games on his back. And in team B probably he would be sitting on the bench all the time. So if his career goes down because of no minutes on his team, he thinks "THEY SHOULD PAY ME A LOT!!"

Im sorry for my bad english... but I hope it helps.

I agree that players come on good wages, but my point is the players want HUGE salaries, over £100,000 a week. I accept stepping up to my team means more responsability so more money, but they all want much more than say players who are signing for the other top clubs are getting. I think this area needs tweaking as it isn't right in FM10 yet.

• Administrators

As people have correctly said, if people are getting a 'big' move to a higher reputation team, they are likely (especially if they have a high ambition rating) to ask for high wages. Likewise, if a player is moving to a smaller club, he'd like to be compensated extra for the slight drop in standard. So yeah, sign a good player, like real life expect to pay through the nose :D

There was an issue where young players would occasionally ask for crazy wages, but that was fixed for the 10.1 patch, so please make sure you are patched up to the latest version. Thanks.

As people have correctly said, if people are getting a 'big' move to a higher reputation team, they are likely (especially if they have a high ambition rating) to ask for high wages. Likewise, if a player is moving to a smaller club, he'd like to be compensated extra for the slight drop in standard. So yeah, sign a good player, like real life expect to pay through the nose :D

There was an issue where young players would occasionally ask for crazy wages, but that was fixed for the 10.1 patch, so please make sure you are patched up to the latest version. Thanks.

I'm fully patched and understand the logic of what you are saying, but on top of the very high fees we have to pay the daft wages just cripple the club. There aren't many teams that have 8 or 9 players asking for £120,000 a week, yet I keep getting asked for this, when they are on £20,000 to £40,000 at the current club. I don't mind compesating or enticing them with better offers but not of over £100,000 extra a week.

Sorry, but this is not realistic.

Archived