The number of goals in 8.0.2

• SI Staff

Can I ask for some observations from those of you who think there are too many please?

- Are you talking about your own games, or all games?

- If all games, are you talking about the division you are in or all divisions you have active?

- If all divisions are you running them in full detail or using default settings? ( Game detail screen )

- What season did you start 8.0.2 in?

Just trying to get to the bottom of something that wasnt apparent from our own testing of 8.0.2!

Cheers,

Paul icon_smile.gif

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Can I ask for some observations from those of you who think there are too many please?

- If all games, are you talking about the division you are in or all divisions you have active?

- If all divisions are you running them in full detail or using default settings? ( Game detail screen )

Just trying to get to the bottom of something that wasnt apparent from our own testing of 8.0.2!

Cheers,

Paul icon_smile.gif

I have a started a new game after the match and haven't noticed the so called too many goals or defenders scoring too many goals. I finished my first season with liverpool and I let only 17 goals(the last five games my ass man took cherge). icon_smile.gif

Hello Paul, and thanks for giving attention to the most signifcent problem on 8.0.2 .

And now to youre questions:

- In my game at least, the goal per match averages grown significantly for all the games. not just mine but the AI's too. For example, most results in the CL 1st knockout round and the uefa cup 1/8 are 3-2, 4-5, 5-3 and similar high scores.

- Cant say about other divisions, as they are not running in full detail, but in my division, the average per game is arround 4-4.5 goals per game.

- I'm still playing the first game i've started on FM 2008, started on 8.0.0 . I'm currently in the 2013/2014 season, and since the patch was installed, the goal averages have grown drastically.

One other un-realistic thing for me is the effectiveness of corners. My central defender scored about 25 goals in 40 games so far this season. 23 of them he scored in 25 league matches, and he leads the goalscorers list.

It seems to me, and not saying this to critisise, that due to ppl moaning pre 8.0.2 you have taken it to far with goal scoring. Instead of finding the gentle equalness (sorry, couldnt find a better word, hope you understand what I mean) between chances/goals, youve just made goalscoring to easy. In my opinion the biggest problem pre 8.0.2 wasnt the number of missed chances, but the nu,ber of scoring chances a team got in a game. This need to be notched down, and than people won't complain about scoring chances taken by theyre players.

Its natural that gamers that reach 30 chances per game, will excpect to score more that 1 goal per game.

Anyway, hope you answer this, and if you will need more stats from my game, just ask.

Hello Paul!

I started a game with Newcastle in England and choose to have Spain as an active league as well.

In Spain it seems that the amount of goals are quite normal. But in the Premier League it is way too many goals scored. Liverpool has managed to win 3 or 4 games at home by 5-0 against teams like Spurs and Pompey. Chelsea beat Man U 6-0!! Results like 3-3 also comes up too often! Spurs by the way have lost three away games by 0-5, twice against Man Utd (FA-cup included)

But there are also many games which ends with a few goals scored, but some shocking games which ruins things a bit!

With the exception of the goals, the latest patch is really good! Good work!

Will this goal-bug be fixed, Paul?

Sorry for my English!

Have played nearly a full season in the English Prem and have not seen to many goals. The most i have scored is 3 and the most i have conceeded is 2. Checked the ai teams and its the same story. The only high scoring games for example are Man Utd beating derby 6-0 Arsenal beating birmingham 5-1 etc , but thats totally expected1 I think people are playing far to much attacking football throughout there whole team so not only are they scoring alot they are conceeding too many aswell, imo icon14.gif

I have noticed it a little bit but tbh im using a custom team with a few wonderkids in the chamionship so sometimes i get the odd 6 goal winning margin, maybe more than you would expect statistically but plenty of normal scorelines.

Apart from one very odd game where i lost 8-5 to man u in the league cup semi 2nd leg lol.

Personally i think its just easier to score goals than it was and as my strikers are pretty good its only to be expected in a lower class league and i think the man u result was just one of those random freaky ones you always get in fm icon_wink.gif

But im not complaining im really enjoying the game icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jobnik:

Hello Paul, and thanks for giving attention to the most signifcent problem on 8.0.2 .

And now to youre questions:

- In my game at least, the goal per match averages grown significantly for all the games. not just mine but the AI's too. For example, most results in the CL 1st knockout round and the uefa cup 1/8 are 3-2, 4-5, 5-3 and similar high scores.

- Cant say about other divisions, as they are not running in full detail, but in my division, the average per game is arround 4-4.5 goals per game.

- I'm still playing the first game i've started on FM 2008, started on 8.0.0 . I'm currently in the 2013/2014 season, and since the patch was installed, the goal averages have grown drastically.

One other un-realistic thing for me is the effectiveness of corners. My central defender scored about 25 goals in 40 games so far this season. 23 of them he scored in 25 league matches, and he leads the goalscorers list.

It seems to me, and not saying this to critisise, that due to ppl moaning pre 8.0.2 you have taken it to far with goal scoring. Instead of finding the gentle equalness (sorry, couldnt find a better word, hope you understand what I mean) between chances/goals, youve just made goalscoring to easy. In my opinion the biggest problem pre 8.0.2 wasnt the number of missed chances, but the nu,ber of scoring chances a team got in a game. This need to be notched down, and than people won't complain about scoring chances taken by theyre players.

Its natural that gamers that reach 30 chances per game, will excpect to score more that 1 goal per game.

Anyway, hope you answer this, and if you will need more stats from my game, just ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is strange beucause in my game everything seems quite realistic, except an odd score every once in a while, but hey, that happens in real life too.

The only thing worth mentioning might be, that in my game, goals/ratio is definitely higher in my division (English League 1) compared to Championship and Premiere. I hope this is not because those leagues are not run in full detail. After all, I play defensive and my numbers are close to the teams in those divisions, and much less than the teams in my division.

I run the English leagues to CC2.

Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Brazilian and Italian - all divs 1 & 2.

I can't say I've noticed anything out of the ordinary.

There's been one or two freak results, my own Newcastle 6 - 3 Chelsea one (Toon scoring 6 AT Chelsea!!! ) but that is down to the AI's tactics.

In fact, the two are probably linked. I'd bet that all of the games involving these big score lines, whether AI or human, have something to do with how defenders behave while using certain tactics.

Take the Chelsea team, for eg. In my game, and seemingly one or two others too, Chelsea simply can't defend against a single lone striker. Guilerme, who I bought, scored SIX against a full strength Chelsea team at Stamford Bridge!

Each goal he scored was very, very similar too.

All involved Chelsea's centre backs steaming after my wingers (more like man-marking at times) whih left a huge gap right in the middle, which my team took advantage of.

This happened again another two times in that season alone - all wins for Newcastle and the same story in each game.

I'd put my mortgage on there being a link with AI tactics and leaky defences - perhaps the people who program AI tactics messed up slightly, or there is a problem somewhere else, I dunno but I'm enjoying beating Chelsea!

Other than that though, 8.02 has made me fall back in love with the game. The variety in the highlights is just incredible and my team are now really playing like the Barcelona team do irl - something I've not been able to re-create in a very long time with this game.

Leauges active:England, Italy, Croatia

...I am playing Bromley in premiership and currently have 3.7 goals per game (me + opponent)

...There is not one team that has less goals than games played in the premiership.

...more than six teams have scored more than two goals per game

...all this goes only for Premiership as the Italy and Croatia have normal results

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

Leauges active:England, Italy, Croatia

...I am playing Bromley in premiership and currently have 3.7 goals per game (me + opponent)

...There is not one team that has less goals than games played in the premiership.

...more than six teams have scored more than two goals per game

...all this goes only for Premiership as the Italy and Croatia have normal results </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, see in this case, I'm afraid the problem is the difference between the full detail match engine and the one with not full detail. In your example, you play in Premiership, and you get more goals than they score in your other active leagues (I assume that you don't run these other active leagues in full detail).

This actually might ruin the game for me now. Too bad, because this was the first FM game that I was getting into. Ever since CM01/02 I didn't like any of them because all of them had game ruining bugs/mistakes in my opinion. And here in this one we might have one too...

In my game, and seemingly one or two others too, Chelsea simply can't defend against a single lone striker. Guilerme, who I bought, scored SIX against a full strength Chelsea team at Stamford Bridge!

Each goal he scored was very, very similar too.

All involved Chelsea's centre backs steaming after my wingers (more like man-marking at times) whih left a huge gap right in the middle, which my team took advantage of.

This happened again another two times in that season alone - all wins for Newcastle and the same story in each game.

I had EXACTLY the same thing- played Berbatov on his own up front and he ecored 56 goals in 47 games! including 4 and then 5 both at Stamford Bridge. Defenders run away to the wings and he strolls down the centre. I think I averaged over 3 goals per game but conceded 2.5. It seems that the AI can just sometimes blow you away even when you have set up defensively against them. Still, loving 8.0.2, it's just this and the "challenge gaolie" at corners issue- I've seen 'Deadly' Ledley King score 20 in 1 season! Keep up the good work SI. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Are you talking about your own games, or all games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there's a reasonable amount of goals in my own matches or in the matches of the other player in our network game. Unless the human player uses the 'cheat' corner tactic.

Haven't seen a single 0-0 result in games involving a human player though.

AI vs. AI matches seem to have more goals. Especially teams like Real Madrid are scoring loads.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- If all games, are you talking about the division you are in or all divisions you have active? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The division I'm in and Champions League.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- What season did you start 8.0.2 in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Updated to 8.0.2 just before the beginning of season 2010/2011.

My answers:

1. Usually in my games (very seldom less than 5 goals per match), but in other games high results (I mean over 5 goals per match) are too often. But I have to notice, that sometimes are 0:0, or 0:1 results.

2. Both divisions (Finland 1st league and premiium league-Veikkausliiga).

3. Both full.

4. 1st season 2008 (I play in 1st league).

i finished my first season with bilbao and made statistics some days ago. in primera division 1051 goals were scored in 380 games. compared to last year (the real one) its up from 942. not really a big thing but i scored 68 and conceded 63. that means 131 goals in 38 games and thats far above the league average. i continue tracking the second season now but i barely experience a game with less than 3 goals. vs madrid or barcelona its always like 1-5.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bcm:

I have a started a new game after the match and haven't noticed the so called too many goals or defenders scoring too many goals. I finished my first season with liverpool and I let only 17 goals(the last five games my ass man took cherge). icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

seconded - a non-issue imo

• SI Staff

Well, I am wondering how many people are seeing too many goals in AI matches when starting a new game in 8.0.2 compared to those seeing it when continuing an old one with 8.0.2......

Its all helpful in terms of being able to give people advice on how to avoid it or discover ways to improve the next game icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

I am currently on 117 yes ( 117) games without 0-0 icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does happen occasionally on mine - perhaps it should happen a bit more, but i prefer too few 0-0s to too many.

I am playing in the Premiership and I haven't noticed a problem with goals. The overall totals may be slightly high but it is never going to be totally accurate and too high is better than too low in my opinion. The only real high scoring games I had last season were a 6-2 LC defeat at Portsmouth but this was just a one off dreadful performance, a 3-3 draw at Liverpool in the league and a 4-3 win at Ipswich in the league with a reserve team. I score far more than the AI teams and got 106 goals in the league but it was a very good season. The next best AI team got 72. However this is not down to the patch, it has happened in every version of the game right back to the CM days.

I'm playing Championship + in England.

Top Division is Spain and Italy.

I've noticed a huge amount of goals in each division and also in the International competitions too.

Every team in the Premiership had conceded 22 + goals within around 7-10 games.

Most international matches and league games end up like 3-2 3-5 7-5 4-4 etc. There is a few 2-1's 1-1 here and there but they are very rare.

I've gone back to 8.0.1 now.

Hi. I have numerous amounts of leagues running, including england,france,italian,portugese,dutch,scottish,spain.

The amount of goals is massively unrealistic, i counted through all the fixtures and i counted a total of 4 0-0's in a whole season, thats for every game played,not just mine. i have realised if you set your team to all out attack and tell them at half time, ' we must get a result here no excuses' then the second half is a goal fest.. one game that really annoyed me was 1-0 down to reading at half time, i told them the above and the final score ended up 7-5, to reading.. Hope this problem can be sorted for fm 09

By the way i play as bolton wanderers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

We've been pretty clear that there isnt another patch planned. We have to concentrate on FM2009 now.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And so you should as there is nothing major now to warrent wasting time on a new patch.

I am currently on 117 yes ( 117) games without 0-0 icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have started a fresh game with new patch and i see at least one 0-0 every week in prem fixtures.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I ask for some observations from those of you who think there are too many please?

Cheers,

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Paul,

League Table

That link shows you that I have scored 61 goals in 33 games and I'm 23rd - mostly because I've also conceded 87. You'll also see that the top two have already scored over 90 goals, so they're likely to reach about 130 goals each in the season.

I started using the patch at the beginning of my current season and have all the English leagues running in full detail.

Hope this helps.

and just to add to my above post, the abnormal amount of goals is only happening in my league. The other leagues running in full detail seem normal. In the Premiership, Man U are top having scored 45 goals in 25 games and in Blue Square South, Lewes are top having scored 47 in 33 - so it could be argued they are scoring like they would be in 8.0.1 but my league is scoring for fun.

I have started a new patched game and have just gone back through the last 2 seasons fixtures.

There are shed loads of 0-0's and though I've not have many, as I play really attacking football, I've had 5 last season - which, considering the football style I like to play, is amazing and spot on.

Since 8.02, I think the game is absolutely brilliant and the best there's been in years.

• SI Staff

It looks likely that the people experiencing this have continued 8.0.1 games with 8.0.2.

If anyone has started a game with 8.0.2 and played a few seasons already, we would be interested to hear how it is looking for you......

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathozz:

I forgot to mention I started a new game with the 8.0.2 patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What competitions did you turn on full detail for? ( This is done via the game detail screen ).

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

It looks likely that the people experiencing this have continued 8.0.1 games with 8.0.2.

If anyone has started a game with 8.0.2 and played a few seasons already, we would be interested to hear how it is looking for you...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought the game just a few days ago and applied the 8.0.2 patch directly. Playing with lower level English team. 2 seasons completed. Not many high scoring games. My biggest win 4-1 and loss 2-5. Not many high scoring games in computer controlled leagues too. I've checked all the major leagues time and again.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

My UEFA campaign last year saw me score 59 goals and concede 23 in 15 games.

Some highlights were beating Anderlecht 9-2 away from home, Napoli 8-0 in Italy whilst my semi final saw me lose 6-4 in Seville before winning 5-2 at home icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any chance you can send me the pkms of those matches?

( Click on the result, use the save button in the menubar ).

Cheers,

Paul

Quick observation, not played a full season but a couple of part ones.

There are too many 5-3, 4-1s etc but not an obscene amount if i'm honest. This is an obvious thing too but it seems the top teams scores are perhaps more skewed by 8.0.2 ie averaging nearly 3 goals a game for (which to be fair is not hugely over the Prem at the moment - Arsenal and ManU having around 2 goals a game for).

Rooney for example has 11 in 6 games, 4 in one match which rather biases averages etc.

Only playing English Prem in full.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathozz:

I forgot to mention I started a new game with the 8.0.2 patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What competitions did you turn on full detail for? ( This is done via the game detail screen ).

Erm I'm not sure? I selected the leagues I wanted and put it on large database and thats all I did.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived