No 2D engine on FM for PSP?

Just found this out. Surely if developers like Rckstart can fi a living, breathing and bloody well huge and beautiful 3D world into GTA Liberty City Stories, then a 2D match engine for a Footie Management sim shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility?

Im no expert and maybe there's a genuine reason why it wasn't able to be included, but if the twonks over at Eidos can put it into crappy old CM too, then what the hell is up?!

Very disappointed to read this yesterday.

Just found this out. Surely if developers like Rckstart can fi a living, breathing and bloody well huge and beautiful 3D world into GTA Liberty City Stories, then a 2D match engine for a Footie Management sim shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility?

Im no expert and maybe there's a genuine reason why it wasn't able to be included, but if the twonks over at Eidos can put it into crappy old CM too, then what the hell is up?!

Very disappointed to read this yesterday.

• SI Staff

We've been quite open about this from the outset - the game is designed to be more similar to our third series of management games and uses an evolved text match engine from those products.

We would have loved to put a 2D engine into the game, unfortunately the processor in the device can't support the full FM PC match engine (well unless you wanted to wait 15 seconds for it whenever you did a tactics change icon_wink.gif ) and we didn't want to release a non-realistic 2D view.

PS> The reason GTA etc. can do pretty graphics is because they don't have much AI behind them (its 95% graphics, 5% AI) and so can do a lot of the rendering etc. on the graphics chips, our match engine is 99% AI, 1% graphics ... hence our match engine relies on the main CPU.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">O

Im no expert and maybe there's a genuine reason why it wasn't able to be included, but if the twonks over at Eidos can put it into crappy old CM too, then what the hell is up?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's putting a 2D engine in... and then there's putting a 2D engine in that is actually worth using.

Only one of those things has been done for CM.

It more common sense that anything to have just the text on-screen. Playing FM06 on the PSP is a quick fix on the move so missing out the pitch view isn't important. Waiting ages for a match to start so the pitch data can load up isn't my idea of fun on the go.

Friends have said you can fly through the seasons on their PSPs compared to playing on the PC - which is high on the hard disk activity - despite having RAID 0.

How many seasons can you get out of Fm06 on the PSP considering it's been hugely cutback to get it playable?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

How many seasons can you get out of Fm06 on the PSP considering it's been hugely cutback to get it playable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The official word is 30, which is more than adequate.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilStudd:

There's no PC limit (apart from the ever-growing size of the save game file!)

30 seasons for PSP has been confirmed, although I can't remember where </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mentioned it on another thread somewhere around ...

I was just wondering, what is the size of the save file? I have a 1 gig memory stick so I should be okay but I'm still interested to know.

Is it fixed from the start? I'm guessing it is fixed because it'd be major issue if you can't save in the middle of game; at least on a PC you delete/move files to make space while the game is running before attempting another save.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it fixed from the start? I'm guessing it is fixed because it'd be major issue if you can't save in the middle of game; at least on a PC you delete/move files to make space while the game is running before attempting another save. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save games are hugely compressed and have been designed to minimise this sort of problem by preallocating buffers at a maximum size where applicable*.

*For instance the game starts with a reserved space for new player histories which is always present in a save game, but initially isn't utilised until you are several seasons into the game.

Archived