Weirdest thing I've seen so far in FM10

Yeah, 3 or 4 players.

Any idea if that's allowed in real life? :confused: If they're counted as two separate teams in the cup then I'd imagine they can't play for both - but then how do you have a player cup tied from playing for his own club? Club vs team. :confused:

Any idea if that's allowed in real life? :confused: If they're counted as two separate teams in the cup then I'd imagine they can't play for both - but then how do you have a player cup tied from playing for his own club? Club vs team. :confused:

Hmm, I have no idea. The foreign idea of the reserve teams playing in the leagues is a strange one and I don't know how it's implemented! (apart from promotion)

Did a little research in the official Dutch KNVB regulations about this.

The following is stated:

When both the reserves and the first team of the same parent team play in the Dutch cup a player who has played 1 or more matches for the first team in the Dutch cup is ineligible to play for the Reserve team in cup matches. So essentially he registers for one of the teams and after that he is cup tied.

There is no specific mention of the possible scenario when a reserve player begins playing in the reserves during cup matches and then moves up to the first team, so in theory this is possible. However according to above rule he can only move up once and then he is cup tied to the first team. Logic however dictates this is not allowed either.

Also, in the strange case the first team is knocked out and a player has not played in the cup for the first team yet but the reserves are still in the cup he is only allowed to play for the reserves (in cup or playoff matches) if he has played less then 23 matches for the first team that season.

For people who wonder about reserves in the cup, they play their own league and cup each year and the winner of either (1 each) qualifies for the senior cup so to speak next year. So each year there will be a max of two reserve teams in the Dutch cup. Tracking back into history they never won it and as far as I know never got to the final either.

I had no succes in finding out if they would be allowed to qualify for European club footy if they would win.

Furthermore, they were originally called after their parent team with the number 2 next to it. For instance Ajax 2, but this has changed. The official name is now Jong (young) + teamname. For instance, Jong Ajax. I think FM still calls them reserves tho, which is not correct. The Jong (young) is because of the age cap of 23 for the reserves team.

Hope it clears it up a bit.

The following is stated:

When both the reserves and the first team of the same parent team play in the Dutch cup a player who has played 1 or more matches for the first team in the Dutch cup is ineligible to play for the Reserve team in cup matches. So essentially he registers for one of the teams and after that he is cup tied.

There is no specific mention of the possible scenario when a reserve player begins playing in the reserves during cup matches and then moves up to the first team, so in theory this is possible. However according to above rule he can only move up once and then he is cup tied to the first team. Logic however dictates this is not allowed either.

Also, in the strange case the first team is knocked out and a player has not played in the cup for the first team yet but the reserves are still in the cup he is only allowed to play for the reserves (in cup or playoff matches) if he has played less then 23 matches for the first team that season.

For people who wonder about reserves in the cup, they play their own league and cup each year and the winner of either (1 each) qualifies for the senior cup so to speak next year. So each year there will be a max of two reserve teams in the Dutch cup. Tracking back into history they never won it and as far as I know never got to the final either.

I had no succes in finding out if they would be allowed to qualify for European club footy if they would win.

Furthermore, they were originally called after their parent team with the number 2 next to it. For instance Ajax 2, but this has changed. The official name is now Jong (young) + teamname. For instance, Jong Ajax. I think FM still calls them reserves tho, which is not correct. The Jong (young) is because of the age cap of 23 for the reserves team.

Interesting read mate :)

The following is stated:

Excellent! Thank you for that! Perhaps you should forward it to SI?

I sure hope that some of their Dutch researchers have this covered allready! If someone likes to test if they got the rules right in game as well I sure like to know. Still stuck in my Arsenal game at the moment :p

About the naming inconsistency, I think SI have a policy to hold onto a certain basic format so cups are just called league cup (or Dutch Cup, French cup and so on) and reserves are just called reserves, even if those things are called slightly different in the nation in question.

The following is stated:

Thanks for the info, mate! Good read! :D

this is also allowed in ROMANIA, we don't have reserve teams, we have Dinamo 2, Steaua 2, and so on, and these teams can play in any league except the first one. So the teams cannot promote, ever, but its possible to play in the cup.

• 4 weeks later...
Ajax 2 advanced to the semis of the Dutch Cup in 2002 irl, so it's not *that* weird ;)

Yeah and they lost the semi final on penalties against utrecht... else there would have been a final between ajax 1 and ajax 2 in the stadium of feyenoord which are ajax's biggest rivals :)

Archived