Eccentricity?

Alright, so eccentricity is basically how unpredictable a keeper is.

My question is, does the game consider eccentricity to be good or bad? You would think it could have it's advantages and disadvantages and would just be the preference of the manager if he wanted a player to be highly eccentric or not (for example, Dominic Hasek was incredibly eccentric and it helped him make saves no other goalie would, but it also allowed easy goals on occasion if he made a mistake). How does it factor in to Football Manager? In my case, Cech has an eccentricity of 3, which means he doesn't take many risks, right? But the stat is in red seeming like it's a bad statistic. Is it?

It depends what you want. Is flair good in a defender? Is aggression good or bad? As you say, an eccentric keeper might well pull off an amazing save, and then get caught trying to take the ball round an opposing striker 45 yards out. Do you want that, or do you want someone who saves the standard shots but plays it safe?

Personally, I always go for a keeper with low eccentricity. The last thing I want is a keeper to undo all his hard work by making a mess of something simple. I can forgive letting in a screamer or similar, but nothing makes my blood boil like a keepr who thinks he's Cristiano Ronaldo.

20 eccentricity may mean the GK is a liability, while 1 may mean they're very dependable. Obviously however, other factors come into it. Technical stats, Concentration, Decisions, Consistancy..

It's not considered to be either good or bad really. A GK with 20 eccentricity could potential produce saves and performances that a less eccentric GK could never match! Personally I like somewhere in between - veering on eccentric with good mental stats.

Keeper with high eccentricity can play the sweeper role. Where he pushes forward to boot any lose balls. Saves the defender having to run back to do it. Also has the courage to go up for corners when losing.

Gomez from Spurs and Jens Lehman former Arsenal are keepers with high eccentricity.

I'm a keeper my self. Eccentricity ties in with bravery. Are you stupid enough to dive in front of a ball knowing you will be kicked in the face. In my case yes lol.

Alright thanks for the answers guys.

Keeper with high eccentricity can play the sweeper role. Where he pushes forward to boot any lose balls. Saves the defender having to run back to do it. Also has the courage to go up for corners when losing.

Gomez from Spurs and Jens Lehman former Arsenal are keepers with high eccentricity.

I'm a keeper my self. Eccentricity ties in with bravery. Are you stupid enough to dive in front of a ball knowing you will be kicked in the face. In my case yes lol.

Yeah I'm a keeper as well, and I think my eccentricity stat would be around an 18 at least haha, I'm terrible in the field, have horrible dribbling ability..yet love to run out of the net and try to out-dribble their strikers, or at least beat them to the ball...and whenever someone's in alone on me I usually make a play on the ball rather than waiting for a shot. It's too boring to play 'conventional.' My team cringes when I leave the net, but it's fun.

A good example is Artur Boruc, still my number 1 keeper and makes unbelievable saves, defeinately worth a bag of points every season. I have yet to see an incident where he's done something stupid with the ball.

I think Eccentricity is linked heavily to other attributes that either make it good or bad for a GK. The defender with high flair & creativity but poor decision making & technique would be a good example.

Also see that Boruc has a low flair attribute so if that is linked then it would explain why he doesnt make any mistakes for me.

Because it is a game and I am not a real manager with responsibilities I would absolutely love having a keeper go Higuita style.

You can seriously mop me up from the floor if that happens :D

I must say eccentricity even when high doesn't seem to have a big impact in the game tho, but I might be wrong. What stuff does such a keeper pull off then? Any examples?

Eccentricity is what flair is on outfield players.

What does the flair attribute have on GK's then?

Definition of Eccentricity

Deviation from the normal, expected, or established

Definition of Flair

instinctive discernment; perceptiveness

They are different terms tbh.

I would consider the way Boruc does the 'star jump' at players in one on ones as eccentric but very effective because he's mastered it Normally, keepers arent taught to block one v ones in this manner, its more of a personal choice.

A winger like C. Ronaldo turning a player inside out or picking out a pass that nobody else sees is something a coach and every player would like to see/do. That is more accepted within the game.

Probably not making sense but thats how im reading the two attributes.

Archived