Can anyone explain this?

I'm playing as Wolves in my 3rd season, had an upcoming match at Old Trafford in the Premiership that I was expecting to get murdered in. Set my normal counter-attacking tactics and hoped for the best. We dominated the match first and second half, won 2-0 and it should have been 8. I was elated, but confused. Having not paid much attention to the team they'd put out, I checked their squad, and lo and behold, they've put out an absolute shocker of a team. It mostly consisted of regens or reserve/youth players. Their team is listed below, * indicates a regen nowhere near ready to play, ** indicates a reserve player. Their normal first teamers are left blank:

GK Oscar Ustari

DL Ross Turnbull** (yes, the goalkeeper)

DC Paul Watkins *

DC Anthony Williams *

DR Luke Pearson *

DMC Darren Fletcher

MC Karsten Poulsen **

MC Stephane Sessegnon

MC Paul Pogba **

FC Phil Talbot *

FC David Smith *

The subs, too, were all 16 - 18 year old regens. It doesn't just end as squad selection. Even weirder is they put Ross Turnbull as a DL and then subbed him after 17 minutes for a regen DC (to be fair to Ross, in those 17 minutes he managed a 7 rating!). I checked their squad afterwards and although they had 4 first teamers injured, the likes of Berbatov, Heitinga, Brown, Evans, Rossi and Wellbeck were all fully fit... they just hadn't been selected (even on the subs bench!)

Probably one of the strangest things I've ever encountered on an FM. I'm fully patched, and the next week Utd were back to putting out a full strength side.

Any ideas as to what happened, or did Fergie spectacularly underestimate me :confused:

That is a bit mad, the only similar thing I had was in a champions league qualifier, I was Shelbourne manager and we played Chelsea, Chelsea put out a really weak team and my shels team won 2-0 at the brigde, drew 0-0 at home with them in the second leg.

Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Cole, Cech, Essien Kalou and Mikel didnt play in either Leg, Ballack was Injured, so too Malouda.

I'm playing as Wolves in my 3rd season, had an upcoming match at Old Trafford in the Premiership that I was expecting to get murdered in. Set my normal counter-attacking tactics and hoped for the best. We dominated the match first and second half, won 2-0 and it should have been 8. I was elated, but confused. Having not paid much attention to the team they'd put out, I checked their squad, and lo and behold, they've put out an absolute shocker of a team. It mostly consisted of regens or reserve/youth players. Their team is listed below, * indicates a regen nowhere near ready to play, ** indicates a reserve player. Their normal first teamers are left blank:

GK Oscar Ustari

DL Ross Turnbull** (yes, the goalkeeper)

DC Paul Watkins *

DC Anthony Williams *

DR Luke Pearson *

DMC Darren Fletcher

MC Karsten Poulsen **

MC Stephane Sessegnon

MC Paul Pogba **

FC Phil Talbot *

FC David Smith *

The subs, too, were all 16 - 18 year old regens. It doesn't just end as squad selection. Even weirder is they put Ross Turnbull as a DL and then subbed him after 17 minutes for a regen DC (to be fair to Ross, in those 17 minutes he managed a 7 rating!). I checked their squad afterwards and although they had 4 first teamers injured, the likes of Berbatov, Heitinga, Brown, Evans, Rossi and Wellbeck were all fully fit... they just hadn't been selected (even on the subs bench!)

Probably one of the strangest things I've ever encountered on an FM. I'm fully patched, and the next week Utd were back to putting out a full strength side.

Any ideas as to what happened, or did Fergie spectacularly underestimate me :confused:

There will be those who will try and justify the nonsense you've described. I can only describe it as being part and parcel of the inherent stupidity of parts of the game. Hopefully the patch will address issues such as you have described. Like some others, I'm waiting for patch 2 to give it another shot although the vagueness of "sometime before Christmas" is obviously frustrating.

Have you uploaded a save game to the bugs forum? I've never heard of a bug like this, so yours will probably help the SI staff quite a lot.

I'm not expecting many people to justify this, but I do expect some to accuse you of attention-seeking by signing on as a new manager and fielding this team yourself. It's nothing personal, and I'm certainly not suggesting anything (I don't care enough to do so), but there have been a few threads featuring blatant fabrications. When something as ridiculous as this turns up, it's often the most obvious explanation, especially when the mistake/bug has no actual logic to it. Bugs like bad defending and GKs behaving strangely can be attributed to a mistake in coding because it's a straightforward behavioural thing which is the opposite to what *should* happen, plus plenty of people experience it, whereas this example is just plain stupid. When an event that no one has mentioned before occurrs (such as a striker scoring 180 goals a season, including a couple of headers from the halfway line) it looks very odd. Like I said, don't take this as an accusation, but just warning you what may happen later.

If you can put the save on filefront or something for people to look at themselves it'll deflect a lot of flak in advance.

I don't really care if people believe me or not. I was more curious to see if it had happened to anybody else, it's the first time I've seen anything like it and I've been playing since CM97/98.

Btw, for whoever mentioned it, Fergie isn't in charge anymore. It's actually Ronald Koeman. Either Koeman is a total dunce or he picked the squad out of a hat :D

• Administrators

Yeah would very much be interested in looking at this save - especially if you can manage to get one before they play this match. If you've got one please put it onto our FTP, let us know and we'll take a look. Thanks.

Archived