FM2010 wasn't packed full of "new features" and tried to improve the engine

For the first time in many years SI did what needed to be done (or at least they tried to): they focused on the match engine.

They should do the same thing next year in other areas, DO NOT waste time creating any new features, but focus on fixing transfers (sales), media interaction and team talks (make more TT's so it doesn't become formulaic and illogical). Make what there is in the game deeper and more logical- frankly the transfer problems with selling especially have been there for far far too long. I begin to wonder if they can fix them.

The other thing that should be done differently in 2011 is that testers shouldn't use the presets/wizards so much. You will get thousands of tons of data on the presets when the demo comes out so the testers should focus on problems with manual/original positions. I always maintained that the wizard was going to horribly streamline the data SI are receiving about the game. For me it was proved when I tried to play a sweeper in a 442 and I saw what happened... anyhow... good luck with it!

thats exactly what I said last year. Improve it rather than revamp it. According to there press relases that is what they did. However that was porky pies as like every other previous version it's needed patching. It's normally the 2nd patch that sorts it all out so after a week or 2 of playing fm i see the faults an decided i couldnt play it till they were fixed. fingers crossed for the december 2nd patch! (then i can get back to not having a life again).

I'd like to see them focusing on interaction and correcting transfer system.I don't want this game to become too in depth because it's a game and not real life,i don't want to spend hours thinking how can i beat my opponents.There are few things like mentioned above missing,but everything else is brilliant.

The FM10 demo was the first FM I've played where I felt the match engine was horrible beyond repair through patches. Not an improvement to 9.3 but the very opposite. Hence why I haven't bought the game in spite of all the new features and (awful) layout.

It's like a car that has every gadget you could think of, but then you drive it and you don't enjoy it. I wouldn't buy a car I didn't enjoy driving.

Personally I hate what has happened to the tactics engine as well. I am someone who likes to play their own style, to re-create formations and systems that they play and have played in in their football career. The problem with these pre-set formations is that they stream line the data and when people try to make their own things it is much less tested and bugs start to appear. Like I said- I play an old, popular, simple system with a 442 sweeper. 1 DC, 1 SW, LB & RB. This is not often played any more but that's not the point.

If you put it into FM it is virtually untested and the sweeper movement makes it genuinely unplayable.

ANYHOW- that was not the point of this post. The point was to say that the spirit was right of what SI tried to do with FM10 for the first time in many versions, even if I think they have to recognise problems with what having the "tactics wizard" does to the overall breadth of their game.

Get real OP, Football manager is a business. It pays the wages of many employees and feeds their families. Whilst i agree it would be great if SI/SEGA stopped introducing pointless new features each year (or gimmicks as they are really known as) and actually bothered to fix the game, it simply won't happen as the majority of the people that buy it would be put off by this.

Could you image their marketing campaign for FM11?: "Introducing FM11, it's has a no new features but it's better than last year"

FM has enough fans already and will get new ones by making these things better.

Better game = more sales.

Leave the marketing people to figure out an ad campaign- maybe that hairy guy can come back from FM Live.

FM has enough fans already and will get new ones by making these things better.

Better game = more sales.

Leave the marketing people to figure out an ad campaign- maybe that hairy guy can come back from FM Live.

Very nieve view there. You honestly think that the casual gamer would still by a new version of FM if they knew there was nothing new over the last version? I don't think so.

Maybe the guys who post on here would but we don't even make up 5% of FM's total sales.

Anyway- getting off topic. I'd like to believe that making FM the best, most realistic and most deep game possible is the best way to sell it too. That is always what FM has been based on and what people have loved about it.

• Administrators

To be fair different coders work on different areas, so say a coder implementing a new feature in the game regarding the news would have nothing to do with the match engine. Of course, we all want the game to be as good as possible, so improvements, features and fixes go hand-in-hand.

Tbh, there's not that many new features I can think of that I'm desperate to see in the game, but I would like to see improvements/expanding on existing features such as press conferences, team talks, player interaction, media interaction and, I suppose, the transfer system.

Selling players is a game stopper. Not being able to get 0 for quality international players.

Team talks have become contrived and glitchy.

Media Interaction is totally illogical, often what I pick isn't really correspondent with what comes out, and it I still can't really interact with a player if they have a real problem. Basically- for any player "Sit" that comes up I should have the opportunity to talk to them (a little like a team meeting) which has a percentage of working. IE. "SIT: Upset that a replacement is being bought. Options: (a) I'm buying him for a different position not yours. (b) everyone starts on an equal level © get ready for the bench buddy! etc etc"

things like that (in that order) are far more important in improving the overall enjoyability of the game.

Polish over features is definetley the way to go from now on, but to not add any new features would be utterly foolish. You only need to look at the back of the box for FM2010 to see that new features are one of the main selling points, and thats the same for any game. Assasins Creed 2 has lots more weapons and missions, Uncharted 2 and BioShock 2 both have multiplayer whilst FIFA 10 has 360 dribbling, and it got people hyped. If nothing new was added, I really can't see people getting too excited.

Tbh, there's not that many new features I can think of that I'm desperate to see in the game, but I would like to see improvements/expanding on existing features such as press conferences, team talks, player interaction, media interaction and, I suppose, the transfer system.

I completely agree with you,these are the only things they should concentrate from now!

Archived