Has anyone got any good advice on developing young players on fm 2010?

It's sometimes difficult to get wonderkids to become world class. I wonder if anyone has any advice for youth player development? If you could set them out in bullet points, it would be really good. Here's what I do but no idea if it's helpful or not:

1 tend to avoid playing young (17-22) players game after game after game, esp if form is poor. give them plenty of rests.

2 get the best coaches and devise a training schedule for them that meets their needs

3 i always set their training schedule to heavy unless they don't like it or get injured a lot

4 loan them out as often as possible up to 21

5 i try to avoid putting pressure on them and find out what team talks motivate them best

however i have lots of questions

1 is my above approach reasonable?

2 is it good to praise/criticise youngsters in the press or can this be a problem?

3 is it better to play them every match or every few games?

anyone have any suggestions?

I signed a brazilian division 2 striker for 170 k who i found and he's a wonderkid already after just 1 season in brazil. He's scoring an average of 2 goals a game in the prem aged 20 and does amazing things. During a game vs milan in the CL, we were losing 2-1 and in the last 7 mins, he scored 2 goals including one where he dribbles past 2 men, and with 2 in front of him and the keeper, he lobbed the keeper from an acute angle. He could obviously be the greatest player on the game with the right development but i'm not quite sure about the principles of developing wonderkids.

I read the first link and if you're trying to make a point, why not just say it?

As for your second link, I read that earlier and found it very unhelpful. You don't really suggest anything concrete and I'm already doing most of that anyway, except keeping players in the youth squad at 18, which is of no definite benefit because i've tried that.

I'm looking for the suggestions of others.

I normally loan them out for a couple of years until they reach 19-20 then start putting them on the bench for a year and also allowing them to play in the cups. Depending how they have progressed they will either do the same the following year or if they have done well then they will start more games until i feel they are consistent enough for playing regularly. This works very well for me and have been able to nurture alot of very good youngsters this way

What do you mean?

There is no definite or absolute answer - just see what works and try as many things as possible.

Use a player's personality as a basis. If they're unprofessional or unambitious, get them tutored by someone who is the opposite. Someone more professional may be better in training and look less out of place in the first-team, and someone ambitious may progress faster than someone less so driven, although this too will depend on factors such as morale. Some players may be very unprofessional, lazy etc, and it's up to you to try and nuture them as best you can, although it may be much more of a struggle than with a model professional!

With such a "wild child" I'd advise a mixture of tutoring by someone who'll potentially positively influence their personality, tough discipline when they deserve it (missing training, getting sent off etc), and essentially keeping them happy and motivated.

It's sometimes difficult to get wonderkids to become world class. I wonder if anyone has any advice for youth player development? If you could set them out in bullet points, it would be really good. Here's what I do but no idea if it's helpful or not:

1 tend to avoid playing young (17-22) players game after game after game, esp if form is poor. give them plenty of rests.

2 get the best coaches and devise a training schedule for them that meets their needs

3 i always set their training schedule to heavy unless they don't like it or get injured a lot

4 loan them out as often as possible up to 21

5 i try to avoid putting pressure on them and find out what team talks motivate them best

First off I want to point out I haven't played FM10 very much so far - My advice is therefore based on older versions.

1) Tutoring & Mentality - As Hersie has pointed out professional, determined, ambitious players develop faster while casual, lazy players rarely reach their potential. Use tutoring to your advantage to improve their mentality (Read Lyssien's Personality Guide if you are not already familiar with mentality).

2) Players need to play to improve, but it needs to be at the right level. If the level is too high they'll feel under pressure and perform badly. If the level is too low it will be too easy for them and not a challenge. If your club is too high loan them out to a club at their level where they will play.

3) Training facilities - Higher the better, both your club and ones you loan players to.

4) Performance & Morale - Better performances & higher morale = better improvement.

5) Playing time - Someone posted a thread last year showing decent levels of playing time at each age (Maybe search). Basically start them off with a few games when they are good enough and increase playing time as they get older. By 21/22 they should be squad players at least getting regular games.

with any promising players i always make my own training schedules e.g. cb, fb, dm, wingers, wide players etc. if they aren't good enough for the first team then 1 or 2 loan spells, and after each spell i give them a few first team games and see how they do. if by the age of about 22-23 they aren't in the first team then it might be time to get rid of them. i've had players come through the youths and into the first team and do well, but also promising players that i had bought in just not performing for me and then when i sell them they do well in another country.

Archived