Intergrated Graphics card

I'm going to buy a computer that has intergrated graphics (nvidia 7100). Will that be able to play FM10 in 3d???.

If it doesn't will I be able to upgrade the graphics card as I heard that you need a PCI Express slot for good graphics cards but I don't know if the computer I'm looking at has one.

It is doubtful if you could upgrade unless there is a surplus of power which is unlikely. It probably has the bare minimum power to run the existing compponents.

Ask the guys who are you selling you it find out if it can handle it by pre-installing the demo so you can see for yourself.

Is it a laptop or a desktop. A laptop is more difficult and in some cases impossible to upgrade whereas a desktop is really easy. As well as the graphics card you should make sure that it has plenty of ram (at least 2gb) and a good processor (dual core at least).

How much money do you have to spend? You might get a better one online for the money you have than the one your looking at.

Is it a laptop or a desktop. A laptop is more difficult and in some cases impossible to upgrade whereas a desktop is really easy. As well as the graphics card you should make sure that it has plenty of ram (at least 2gb) and a good processor (dual core at least).

How much money do you have to spend? You might get a better one online for the money you have than the one your looking at.

It's a desktop. I think it's a pretty good desktop for £500 the only thing it has an intergrated graphics card. It's specs are

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 processor

* (2.5GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)

* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* 4GB DDR2 memory

* 640GB hard drive

* NVIDIA GeForce 7100 integrated graphics

* Built-in wireless (802.11b/g)

That's why i'm asking would I be able to upgrade the graphics card without having to buy a different desktop as it could save me a few quid.

After reading about graphics cards on wikipedia I think I should be able to upgrade the graphics card fairly easily as I found that it depends on the motherboard and seeing that it's a new intel one it should let me.

Am I right???

Here's what they say

The most powerful class of GPUs typically interface with the motherboard by means of an expansion slot such as PCI Express (PCIe) or Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) and can usually be replaced or upgraded with relative ease, assuming the motherboard is capable of supporting the upgrade. A few graphics cards still use Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) slots, but their bandwidth is so limited that they are generally used only when a PCIe or AGP slot is unavailable.

Some integrated graphics modern desktop motherboards often include an integrated graphics solution and have expansion slots available to add a dedicated graphics card later.

Another question is if I buy a different desktop that is cheaper but has the same processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 processor) it should have the same features i.e a PCI express slot even though it's not the same brand i.e this one is advent not packbard bell.

The reason I ask is cause this one is cheaper but I wouldn't be able to ask if this has a PCI express slot but I can ask if the first one does then buy then advent one.

It's sound a bit complicated but would I be able to??

If its a desktop then the graphics card can be added BUT a decent graphic card is expensive.

Thats not strictly true. I got a new 1gb graphics card from ebuyer for less than £60 which I though was reasonable for a 1gb card and it handles FM just fine. There's a 512mb version available for less than £40 and again it is more than enough for FM.

Here's a link to the card I got http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169828

Archived