Doesn't enjoy the big matches

Is it possible a player will outgrow this trait, or it can be tutored out? I've found a great prospect in Serie B but this puts me off signing him. I know for a fact that players who are inconsistent performers can grow out of it through match experience but I've never seen it happen with this one - perhaps it can be done by playing them in 'big' matches (whatever they are)?

Is it possible a player will outgrow this trait, or it can be tutored out? I've found a great prospect in Serie B but this puts me off signing him. I know for a fact that players who are inconsistent performers can grow out of it through match experience but I've never seen it happen with this one - perhaps it can be done by playing them in 'big' matches (whatever they are)?

I have no idea, i've never bought a player like this. I would have thought that he will play well if the team is playing well whether it's a big match or not. Probably the best thing for him is to win big matches when he's playing and maybe he'll prefer them then.

I'm not sure you can teach a player to like big occasions. But it's not impossible that he will outgrow it as he matures, I suppose. In any event, it doesn't seem to matter much. If the player is good, he'll still perform. In my game I've got a world-class striker who "doesn't like big occasions" yet he plays in front of 75K spectators every week and scores 30+ goals per season. Go figure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neyles:

I'm not sure you can teach a player to like big occasions. But it's not impossible that he will outgrow it as he matures, I suppose. In any event, it doesn't seem to matter much. If the player is good, he'll still perform. In my game I've got a world-class striker who "doesn't like big occasions" yet he plays in front of 75K spectators every week and scores 30+ goals per season. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true, I have a striker with the same trait and he got 30+ last season. I was thinking it was possible a young player under 23 could grow out of it though.

Often it means you will get a PR message from the player before the game saying he "isnt feeling confident ahead of the match". This leads to a chance that he will not play well same as if his moral was low or any other negative PR remark. and i think big matches mean games like semi/finals, or matches against other "big" clubs such as man u or chelsea in England.

I signed Breno (CB from brazil). amazing but isnt the most confident of chaps ahead of big games. when i play him through these he often gets a 5 or 6 and plays poorly. not always though. id rather play a less able but more up for it CB here

Interesting question this.

I have had a few players who 'don't like the big occasions'. One or two have been so awful in big games (getting 5 or 6) that I have sold them on very quickly.

In particular, I had a centre-back who was absolutely class at the level I was playing at. I mean, he should have been playing the division above. However, every time a big match came up he was making errors and costing me points. In a few of the games he got 5s and I think I remember a 4 as well. I sold him and replaced him with a less talented centre-back and never looked back.

C.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johno:

could also try giving the affected player the "no pressure" instruction before the game. might help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer the "have faith in ability" one but either of these are good for a player not feeling totally up for it...

I wouldn't let the "doesn't like big games" trait put me off a player, it's just an added man management challenge, but I don't think you can train it out of him...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johno:

could also try giving the affected player the "no pressure" instruction before the game. might help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have tried this in the past, not sure if the results were that good.

as far as i know the "have faith" command is not what many expect it to be. i first thought it was meant to be used as a moral boost before a game however upon analysis of player reactions its more to be used if a player doing well at half time as in "i have faith in you as you have played well", not "i have faith in you even though ur moral is low". since i started telling guys with half time rating of 7+ "i have faith" ive won so many more games often gettign good reactions such as "inspired to perform" etc.

On 07 it changed by playing bigger matches. Not sure what the exact definition of big matches is but European exposure seemed to have an influence, also cup matches including League Cup (only played in England).

Not sure about 08 but I'm sure it can change in the same way that consistency can. You could check by finding a well known not fully developed top youngster, check if he has a fixed value in the editor and then use a 3rd party tool like FMM to check if it has changed (assuming you are enough seasons in and the player has played in 'big matches', also check that he is in or has played regularly in an active nation in case that has an effect).

lets face it lads we've al seen cristiano ronaldo and as a united a fan i can honestly say he is one that does not preform well in BIG games yet has had a blinder of a season so personally i think this attribute counts for very little thought could be a good reason to place the blame on him in those 'big games' lol

• 8 years later...

i once had a player that doesn't enjoy big match. i managed a team in asia and bought him from barcelona. he played very well even against any big team in the region. and know i have a world class player in my team but he seems not enjoy playing big game even the attribute doesn't show that. i think the attribute cannot be changed but you can suit your player with some preferred move in training.

Archived