Really upset and fed up

I love this game, have been playing from the first release all those years ago. I am really sad to say that this issue of crashing is totally destroying any fun in this game. Even with the 1.1 patch it is still crashing. Even with the 1.1 patch without the 3D view it is crashing. It is just not good enough. Guys, please, please can you fix this? I am going to have to change loyalties if you cannot get this nailed soon.......

Instead of blaming SI have you considered the possibility that the problem might lie with your computer? Have you downloaded and installed the latest versions of directx,java and the most recent drivers for your graphics card?

Post back with the spec of your computer for more help if you dont know how to do this.

mate its not the game you idiots i have never had a crash it down to your computer probs needs new updates

My computer is an absolute beast of a machine, i wont need to upgrade it for at least 2 years to play games on it yet my system has problems with crash dumps for FM10. Everything is completely up to date on my system yet it crash dumps every hour of play.

Please do not insult fellow consumers who are having issues because your game isnt faulty, i look forward to the day you have issues and ask for help then get some idiot reply as you have.

I have had problems with the crashes and the 1.1 patch sorted it out for me. My laptop is a 3 month old £600 machine, I don't run graphics and I don't run sound. FM is and shall always be a Number game for me!

I don't think any game will go from 1.2g of memory usage to 2.2g in the space of an hour, so it's not down to certain machines. The problem with FM releases is due to the fact certain machines will find faults with certain codes and is why FM always seems bugged when it comes out, it's because the fact the testers can't plan for these sorts of issues.

I haven't had a single crash with FM10 yet. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Runs absolutely perfectly and I love it.

I'm really pleased for you!!!!

As Telac has already mentioned just because their game is ok does not mean that the OP's cant be and that it is their fault. Kieran is voiving his discontent at these crash dumps and people saying my game is great is not really helping. I have not experienced crash dumps but as I have said before on the issue- if I put myself into the shoes of those who are experiencing the crash dumps then I would be very unhappy and let down by SI. :)

I would think that with crashes, a lot of times it is on the user's end and not the game. Having an up to date machine and top of the line computer doesnt mean you cant have crashes. Many times there are conflicts with other programs. I seem to remember once there was a conflict with anti-virus programs, I think anyway. Obviously having the most up to date drivers for video and sound are a must.

Im not trying to say that the crashes users are experiencing arent the fault of the game, Im just saying that it isnt always the fault of the game. I know this doesnt make those with issues feel any better and I am sorry they are having problems. Computers are just so crazy anymore, it's hard to find out what would be the issue.

I think that is the problem...It's just the code conflicting with certain computers. It may well be our systems, but it's also the code which is colliding with our system...

But it is still expected for FM to repair the game rather than us purchasing a new computer!

And alot of the uninformed replies that just say "its your systems fault, not si" are wide of the mark!

It is our systems, but if the specs of our systems are up to scratch with FM Min requirements then it is FM's fault (albeit, unintentionally) and responsibility to correct this.

Sorry you're struggling. It is worth noting that there's a few things you can do to minimise the chances of the game crashing...

- Update graphics and sound card drivers.

- Update DirectX.

- Update Java.

Instructions on all of the above can be found in the FAQ thread.

If you want to post more details on your PC or on where and when the game crashes, we'll see if we can make any further suggestions.

Cheers

Matt

mate its not the game you idiots i have never had a crash it down to your computer probs needs new updates

How rude!

Have you any idea how many different configurations of PC there are out there? If someone is experiencing crashes (and many are with this version) there are many many resaons why this could be happening. You seem to assume that because the game runs fine on your system, it should work for everyone, and frankly that makes you sound like the idiot here.

Stop talking nonsense. SI have acknowledge themselves that the crashes are due to the game - that's what they stated in the patch 1.1.1 thread.

Why is it that people like you always take such delight in attacking other posters here and defending a corporation that has released a half-finished mess of a game, charging its loyal customers £30 to add insult to injury?

Is your thinking really so sloppy that you cannot comprehend that what SI has done is unacceptable?

Ok then for all that's saying its to do with my computer the reason FM crash dumps fair enough i might entertain that fact but i recently loaded the game up, all was fine then went to load an actual game as soon as the game loaded it crash dumped.. so i thought well that game must be corrupt or something so i went to start a new game... crash dumps, well i thought thats a bit odd so i tried it all a few more times and low and behold everytime i tried to do anything it crashed dumps. So i thought well i may as well uninstall and reinstall as what harm can it do now lets be honest. Did that and its worked fine ever since even loads the games it didnt before.

• Administrators

We've found the latest patch has helped people reduce their memory usage in the game - however some people are indeed still suffering from issues. As Matt has said there are a number of ways of updating your system which can help with this. As has been said elsewhere, we're aware of certain issues and we are most definitely looking into it. Thanks.

well bully for you.

Some of us have.

And it's not just crashes either. Mine no longer crashes but sometimes the game slows down to snail's pace, continue can take 15 seconds to activate, a player profile can take 10 secs to load up and the 2d engine goes jerky and unpleasant to watch. This is not just about computer capability, it's also about bad programming by SI.

I'm appalled at the overall quality of the game, although it has potential to be a very good game if they get it sorted.

What a iggnorant douche, crash dumps have been reported by a ton of people, theres a problem with the game not all our computers.

But yeh Si have said there looking into it, i hope they come up with a solution as my game is unplayable and am very dissapointed.

• Administrators

We're aware whilst patch 10.1.1 fixed some of the issues that a small amount of users are facing memory wise, we're aware of some other issues and knock on issues that have been raised, and have a team of people looking into the problems with respect to having more changes being made for patch 2, many of which have been made already. Patch 2 is still on schedule for being released before Xmas.

Until these have gone through a full testing cycle, we don't know what will work and what won't, but you can limit any problems with the following.

1) Do not start a game with an amount of leagues/added players that your machine cannot handle. We would not recommend anyone with 1MB RAM starting a game with more than 20,000 players loaded, nor more than 75,000 players for anyone with 2MB RAM or above at this stage - there still isn't a home computer that can handle running all leagues in the game, and the specs on the back of the box are the minimum specs needed to play the game, not to play the game with everything turned up to maximum.

2) Do not use ANY saved game/real time editors. We'll try and help anyone with a problem, but if you've used a third party tool, we have no idea what they are doing, and we definitely have some cases of corrupt saved games and corrupt memory being caused by these kinds of tools.

3) If you are having these issues, it's worth keeping "task manager" open to check memory usage and play in windowed mode. If you find the game using huge amounts of memory, then minimise the game window, and maximise it again, which seems to "flush" the memory.

4) Managing multiple clubs can have a memory effect, and this is a bug which has been fixed for patch 2 (subject to QA verifying). Thank you to those of you who pointed us in the direction of this, as the info your provided was invaluable in tracking this down.

5) Save the game regularly!

Cheers

We're aware whilst patch 10.1.1 fixed some of the issues that a small amount of users are facing memory wise, we're aware of some other issues and knock on issues that have been raised, and have a team of people looking into the problems with respect to having more changes being made for patch 2, many of which have been made already. Patch 2 is still on schedule for being released before Xmas.

Until these have gone through a full testing cycle, we don't know what will work and what won't, but you can limit any problems with the following.

1) Do not start a game with an amount of leagues/added players that your machine cannot handle. We would not recommend anyone with 1MB RAM starting a game with more than 20,000 players loaded, nor more than 75,000 players for anyone with 2MB RAM or above at this stage - there still isn't a home computer that can handle running all leagues in the game, and the specs on the back of the box are the minimum specs needed to play the game, not to play the game with everything turned up to maximum.

2) Do not use ANY saved game/real time editors. We'll try and help anyone with a problem, but if you've used a third party tool, we have no idea what they are doing, and we definitely have some cases of corrupt saved games and corrupt memory being caused by these kinds of tools.

3) If you are having these issues, it's worth keeping "task manager" open to check memory usage and play in windowed mode. If you find the game using huge amounts of memory, then minimise the game window, and maximise it again, which seems to "flush" the memory.

4) Managing multiple clubs can have a memory effect, and this is a bug which has been fixed for patch 2 (subject to QA verifying). Thank you to those of you who pointed us in the direction of this, as the info your provided was invaluable in tracking this down.

Cheers

I havent got a crash in non of my saves so should i download the patch?You said something about memory will the new patch make my game faster?

• Administrators

I havent got a crash in non of my saves so should i download the patch?You said something about memory will the new patch make my game faster?

I would personally suggest if you are having no issues then there isn't really a need to download the patch, you may as well wait for 10.2. Thanks.

Cheers

And still no apology. Is there a single apology posted by SI for this disgraceful episode?

If so, someone point me to it.

I am running 4 divisions in 2 leagues only, a medium database and doing nothing deleterious included in this list above.

If the majority of people are experiencing some or all of these 'issues' how the Hell did SI fail to detect ANY of them prior to release? Care to answer this very simple question?

Perhaps SI have unique super military-standard computers that the rest of us don't have access to. Or perhaps they're a bunch of charlatans who don't give a damn that the game is infuriating and almost unplayable long-term.

These constant, "oh work with us, we're sorting it out... really" comments by SI people are not sufficient. I want an apology, so again, if there is one on this site - or anywhere - please link me to it.

I appreciate it is not the fault of individuals but it certainly is the fault of the corporation and with so many FM fanatics frankly hating this whole experience, I dread to think what the less committed people think of FM2010 in its present form.

And still no apology. Is there a single apology posted by SI for this disgraceful episode?

I am running 4 divisions in 2 leagues only, a medium database and doing nothing deleterious included in this list above.

If the majority of people are experiencing some or all of these 'issues' how the Hell did SI fail to detect ANY of them prior to release? Care to answer this very simple question?

Perhaps SI have unique super military-standard computers that the rest of us don't have access to. Or perhaps they're a bunch of charlatans who don't give a damn that the game is infuriating and almost unplayable long-term.

These constant, "oh work with us, we're sorting it out... really" comments by SI people are not sufficient. I want an apology, so again, if there is one on this site - or anywhere - please link me to it.

I appreciate it is not the fault of individuals but it certainly is the fault of the corporation and with so many FM fanatics frankly hating this whole experience, I dread to think what the less committed people think of FM2010 in its present form.

How about an apology from you for expecting SI to test every combination of hardware, with every combination of software at the same time.

The simple fact is these crash dumps are effecting the minority, not the majority, as already seen, SI have tried hard to fix these problems for the minority of people who are experiencing them.

Have you tried to give as much information as possible or are you here just to complain about something without actually giving the information that might be useful?

• Administrators

As has been said, the majority of people are most certainly not suffering from these issues. Please feel free to email me direct at neil.brock[at]sigames.com with your dxdiag and I'll see if there is anything I can suggest to help. You can find this by going to Start -> Run -> Type Dxdiag

Then click 'Save All Information' and you can save the information as a text file

Thanks

Its funny, SI said on release (maybe even before release) about their patch strategy.

So from October 30th they have planned a patch for "before Christmas."

As Christmas is now 18 days away you would think through good project management they could give a clearer date for the patch release.

Not so, says SI.

As has been said, the majority of people are most certainly not suffering from these issues. Please feel free to email me direct at neil.brock[at]sigames.com with your dxdiag and I'll see if there is anything I can suggest to help. You can find this by going to Start -> Run -> Type Dxdiag

Then click 'Save All Information' and you can save the information as a text file

Thanks

How can you demonstrate your assertion that the majority of people are most certainly not suffering from these issues?

You can't. No survey has been done, no poll has been conducted. This site is a very skewed representation of the world outside -- the people on this site would run through broken glass to play a decent football manager sim. The people in the real world will not.

Thank you for your kind offer to help. However, I am more interested in an apology and a refund.

As for the individual above suggesting I owe SI an apology for complaining that the game I purchased doesn't work is obviously not thinking very clearly.

As for the individual above suggesting I owe SI an apology for complaining that the game I purchased doesn't work is obviously not thinking very clearly.

Says he who thinks he will be successful in taking SI to court! Try actually reading what people say to you insted of spouting your slander (in which SI would have much more chance in taking YOU to court for).

How can you demonstrate your assertion that the majority of people are most certainly not suffering from these issues?

How can you demonstrate YOUR assertion that the majority aren't? It was, afterall, you who brought it up.

Its funny, SI said on release (maybe even before release) about their patch strategy.

So from October 30th they have planned a patch for "before Christmas."

As Christmas is now 18 days away you would think through good project management they could give a clearer date for the patch release.

Not so, says SI.

Arguably the fact that they had, since 30 October, planned a patch before Christmas, constitutes an admission that the game as released in the box set in November was not up to scratch.

I completely share your view on some clarity as regards the patch. I can't speak for others but I'm pretty confident that I am not the only one waiting for Patch 2's release before retrying a game I purchased in November. Given the level of reported bugs/issues/crashes, SI should offer a more definitive estimate/details on the patch. I understand their stated reasons for not being more specific is they may not be able to comply with the date and this may lead to disappointment etc etc. But what about my (and maybe others') disappointment with the standard of the game when it was first released? (no need to re-list the reported issues). Or indeed the added disapointment of not knowing when I will be able to retry the game, other than some vague idea that it will be a patch "sometime before Christmas". Best wishes to them if they are working on it, but it does come across, to me at least, as SI having their heads very far up that place where the sun don't shine when their attitude to genuinely disappointed consumers is to take such a dictatorial and openly hostile approach to queries asking for a more specific date about the patch - its fixes and date. "We'll tell you when its out, and go to blazes in the meantime". I would suggest that they owe it to the people who come on here with honest and genuine issues, who take the time to report those issues to them, to be more specific, rather than tar all such genuine posters with the whinger brush. I can readily understand why some, maybe even many people, are frustrated with their lack of courtesy and transparency.

It's not really fair to suggest that SI don't want to tell you a date because they don't care.

They'd rather only provide an accurate actual date when they have it - experience tells them that the fallout from saying "December 10th" only to have a last minute hitch delay the patch for a week is significantly worse than asking for people's patience and assuring them that the patch is being worked on, tested and checked.

Cheers

Matt

It's not really fair to suggest that SI don't want to tell you a date because they don't care.

They'd rather only provide an accurate actual date when they have it - experience tells them that the fallout from saying "December 10th" only to have a last minute hitch delay the patch for a week is significantly worse than asking for people's patience and assuring them that the patch is being worked on, tested and checked.

Cheers

Matt

I would agree that it is regrettable that not meeting a specific date could meet with a churlish reception but I do not agree that same reception would be offered by all, or even a majority. Personally, I think the better approach (in circumstances where such bugs, issues, and in particular the crash have been reported with this game) is to be more specific and if a date change is necessary, to simply explain why. I believe the majority of pepole would act in a reasonble manner if a date change was necessary - I also accept there would be a vocal minority. There is a balance to be struck and I think that in achieving that balance, SI should also factor in the reporpted issues (no need to list them), the disappointments of reasonable/genuine posters, the fact that there are probably people waiting for the patch before re-trying a game they bought in November, and the obvious frustration at the only information being given as "sometime before Christmas". Many members of the forums have played a very positive and constructive role in offering views etc on each game. To categorise them in the same way as a minority of drama queens (however vocal they may be) is disappointing and, I would suggest, unfair. Hopefully, patch 2, whenever that is released and whatever it may fix, will be a success (and in the immediate future!!.)

I appreciate you'd like to think it'd happen like that. As I said - "experience tells" - that isn't actually how it works.

I don't think SI categorise the more helpful members as anything except helpful - the beta testing group is almost entirely selected from these forums, for example.

As for announcing patches - SI already made a commitment to identifying when they'd be available in more detail than they've done before (see the sticky post at the top of the forum) and I suspect will still consider their policy the most appropriate. I will discuss it with them once again however.

I appreciate you'd like to think it'd happen like that. As I said - "experience tells" - that isn't actually how it works.

I don't think SI categorise the more helpful members as anything except helpful - the beta testing group is almost entirely selected from these forums, for example.

As for announcing patches - SI already made a commitment to identifying when they'd be available in more detail than they've done before (see the sticky post at the top of the forum) and I suspect will still consider their policy the most appropriate. I will discuss it with them once again however.

Many thanks. Incidentally, positive feedback from SI staff/reps is always appreciated - almost certainly by the vast majority. If the powers that be continue with their current patch information policy, so be it but its no harm to be aware that such a policy, however well intended, may add to some people's frustration. Thanks for taking time to reply etc.

Says he who thinks he will be successful in taking SI to court! Try actually reading what people say to you insted of spouting your slander (in which SI would have much more chance in taking YOU to court for).

How can you demonstrate YOUR assertion that the majority aren't? It was, afterall, you who brought it up.

You're obviously not very bright. That's why you write like a moron.

By the way, this would be libel rather than slander because posting on the internet is a form of publishing. Regardless of your inability to use the terms appropriately, I think I'm pretty safe from a libel perspective for pointing out that the game doesn't work. It's something SI have themselves admitted!

Do the posters on this forum live under rocks or something?

I've never met such a bunch of greasy, obnoxious cretins. Most have been ripped off and all they care about it not hurting SI's feelings - the corporation that has ripped everyone off!

I do think most live under rocks here.

People having a go at people with a broken game need to think if their game was broke. How would you feel and what would you do?

Praise SI and congratulate as the the majority are ok? But your happy to live with a duff £35 because SI work hard?

"Be gratefull SI are trying to sort it" say a few............ WTF!

You pay a tradesman for a product and it fails, should you feel gratefull if he comes back to fix the knackered bit? Or would you expect him to rectify it, as you have paid for the priviledge........

Archived