Steam, £29.99, Wow.

I know there are alot of people using steam, and I dont understand how you are happy to pay £29.99 for this. I have never paid more than £19.99 for a Football Manager game, and I'm quite shocked SI are happy for steam to sell it for so much. I wonder why people turn to piracy eh.

I'm quite shocked at the prices on Steam, 16.99 for GTA and GTA2, yes thats you know the 2D version of GTA. WTF, 16.99. Yet they only want 5.99 for GTA3 and Vice City.

Steam will never ever get inside of my wallet, Absolutley scandalous. How do they get away with it, Well they got most of you havent they. :D

I,ll buy a copy of FM2010 in a retail shop tommorrow. £9.99 sounds more like it to me.

Still, Devide how many hours you play it by £9.99 and I think its more appealing than deviding my hours with £29.99.

So just so I know, SI tell steam what price to sell it at? Why is it cheaper in most retail outlets but not on steam?

cheap skate lol come to mind

Not really mate, Just cause I aint eager on being ripped off doesnt make me a cheapskate. I mean I could spin the table and say your are owned by the corporate world and that they laugh at you maybe.

Still, Devide how many hours you play it by £9.99 and I think its more appealing than deviding my hours with £29.99.

So just so I know, SI tell steam what price to sell it at? Why is it cheaper in most retail outlets but not on steam?

Because SI dont set the price we pay, that is down to the retailer.

Just so I understand correctly.

SI tell Steam what price to sell it for?

SI do not tell retailers what to sell it for?

SI will sell it to all retailers at a certain price. From then, the retailers set their own prices. If a company wants to sell at a minimum profit then they will offer it at just above what they paid SI for it. If they want to make more, then they will charge more.

Just because you dont like Steam, doesnt mean everyone dislikes Steam.

SI will sell it to all retailers at a certain price. From then, the retailers set their own prices. If a company wants to sell at a minimum profit then they will offer it at just above what they paid SI for it. If they want to make more, then they will charge more.

Yes I understand how Wholesalers and what not works, It just bizarre that I can buy it in a shop for between £9.99 and £14.99, yet steam want £30 for it. It gives you a good indication of the profit margin generated through digitial sales and its absolutley scandalous.

They say pirates are killing this industry, I,d look a little closer to home to see who the real robbers are.

Yes I understand how Wholesalers and what not works, It just bizarre that I can buy it in a shop for between £9.99 and £14.99, yet steam want £30 for it. It gives you a good indication of the profit margin through digitial sales and its absolutley scandalous.

They say pirates are killing this industry, I,d look a little closer to home to see who the real robbers are.

Thats your opinion and thats fine. For me, getting it through Steam was my most viable option this year so thats how i did it. Interestingly, you dont mention console games, which are by far THE biggest rip off. I paid £40 for FIFA when that came out months back and havn't played that anywhere near as much as FM.

Also, do you know the overheads of running a digital download company? Thought not, neither do i. I can bet that what they lose in transport, store costs etc, they gain somewhere else. Add to that, shops want to get rid of old stock eventually so as a game gets older, it needs shifting from the store quickly regardless of profit margin.

they blame pirates for everything look this

FM in Spain 25 euros

FM in Portugal 50 euros

countries next to each other, all things are available in both countries , taxes are almost the same , same currency , sega says Spain is a different market from Portugal wtf?

they are payed much better and we have to pay more?:rolleyes:

minimum wage here 385 euros in spain is 500 euros

i had to pay 50 euros for the freaking game and your complaining to pay almost half that price ?

again i ask are publishers wise ? no they do dumb decisions

are pirates killing the industry ? no

are publishers killing it: yes

Yes I understand how Wholesalers and what not works, It just bizarre that I can buy it in a shop for between £9.99 and £14.99, yet steam want £30 for it. It gives you a good indication of the profit margin generated through digitial sales and its absolutley scandalous.

Are you talking about FM 10 in the bold part? or games in general. because if its about FM where are you buying it from

Thats your opinion and thats fine. For me, getting it through Steam was my most viable option this year so thats how i did it. Interestingly, you dont mention console games, which are by far THE biggest rip off. I paid £40 for FIFA when that came out months back and havn't played that anywhere near as much as FM.

Also, do you know the overheads of running a digital download company? Thought not, neither do i. I can bet that what they lose in transport, store costs etc, they gain somewhere else. Add to that, shops want to get rid of old stock eventually so as a game gets older, it needs shifting from the store quickly regardless of profit margin.

I didnt mention console games because they are usually very heavily 3D based and what not.

This though is essentially a number crunching database and can never justify £30-40 in my view. For as long as I can remember this game has always been around the £20 mark.

I didnt mention console games because they are usually very heavily 3D based and what not.

This though is essentially a number crunching database and can never justify £30-40 in my view. For as long as I can remember this game has always been around the £20 mark.

Eventually, the price of everything rises. Its called inflation.

Are you talking about FM 10 in the bold part? or games in general. because if its about FM where are you buying it from

I dont know yet, but I been looking around and can get it for £16.49. Thats online though, So getting it for around £15 in a shop is gonna be possible. I might even go second hand and get it really cheap.

I dont know yet, but I been looking around and can get it for £16.49. Thats online though, So getting it for around £15 in a shop is gonna be possible. I might even go second hand and get it really cheap.

Really? Its usually more expensive in the shops :confused:

You think steams expensive,what about this price of £39.99

http://www.gamesplanet.com/UK/pc-games/buy-download-Football-Manager-2010-1545-15.html

That's a link from the sticky what's on here ^^^ (digital downloads)

At the end of the day most companies charge differently for the same product,just find the cheapest and your happy as larry.

A few weeks ago I looked everywhere (online & shops). The cheapest I saw was £27.99 so I ended up buying from Steam this year.

In the past though I have normally managed to get it for around £18-£22.

Fair enough. That "man made inflation" got me a 4% pay rise this year though, long may it continue.

So you got a 4% pay rise even though inflation went up by 5-6%. You really got one over on them bankers didnt you. -2% down according to my math. What they effectivley did was freeze your pay, and raise the price of everything slightly.

So you got a 4% pay rise even though inflation went up by 5-6%. You really got one over on them bankers didnt you. -2% down according to my math. What they effectivley did was freeze your pay, and raise the price of everything slightly.

Really? Last time i checked, official inflation was 1.6%.

Either way, 4% is a lot more than a lot of others are getting so i still feel lucky.

How much play do you reckon you get out of FM?

For me, I tend to get more than enough hours to justify the price, even if I paid 30 quid.

Its not about playtime versus price for me. I mean with that logic SI could sell it for £100 and you'd apparently be happy with that.

I go with a just Price formula. That seems more logical to me.

Really? Last time i checked, official inflation was 1.6%.

Either way, 4% is a lot more than a lot of others are getting so i still feel lucky.

Oh wake up mate, You dont think the system is designed so you become better off each year do you. VAT's going back up soon, public spending is being cut, taxes are going up.

Play the game mate.

Its not about playtime versus for me. I mean with that logic SI could sell it for £100 and you'd apparently be happy with that.

I go with a just Price formula. That seems more logical to me.

No, I wouldn't.

In terms of buying video games, I base my judgement on how much game time I get out of them. If I only play a game for 5 hours before I get bored, I'm not going to be happy spending 40 quid on it. If I get 300 hours out of it, then I be pretty pleased with my purchase. And let's be honest, 30 quid is not a lot for a game.

No, I wouldn't.

In terms of buying video games, I base my judgement on how much game time I get out of them. If I only play a game for 5 hours before I get bored, I'm not going to be happy spending 40 quid on it. If I get 300 hours out of it, then I be pretty pleased with my purchase. And let's be honest, 30 quid is not a lot for a game.

Thats the kind of thing i meant when i mentioned FIFA earlier.

Oh wake up mate, You dont think the system is designed so you become better off each year do you. VAT's going back up soon, public spending is being cut, taxes are going up.

Play the game mate.

Course not. Im fully aware of how it works, but would a 4% rise be better that a 0% rise, depsite everything going up? Of course a pay rise is better than none!

Anyway, this bit of the conversation is going off topic so it should end as we dont want the thread closed do we?

No, I wouldn't.And let's be honest, 30 quid is not a lot for a game.

For a database number crunching piece of software, £30 is too high for me. £25 would have probably gone down a little better, but I guess I'm too used to paying £20 for such number crunching databases.

Course not. Im fully aware of how it works, but would a 4% rise be better that a 0% rise, depsite everything going up? Of course a pay rise is better than none!

Anyway, this bit of the conversation is going off topic so it should end as we dont want the thread closed do we?

Thats not up to me, but having a conversation is always good be it on topic or off. But before we shy away from this little diversion, I wanted to ask.

Wouldnt it be better if your pay was frozen and everything came down in price by 7.5%?

You'd actually be up then as opposed to this illusion which in reality is a drop in standards of living abeit by a very slight margin but a drop nonetheless.

For a database number crunching piece of software, £30 is too high for me. £25 would have probably gone down a little better, but I guess I'm too used to paying £20 for such number crunching databases.

Depends, database number crunching software such as Microsoft Money is far more expensive than £30.

Thats not up to me, but having a conversation is always good be it on topic or off. But before we shy away from this little diversion, I wanted to ask.

Wouldnt it be better if your pay was frozen and everything came down in price by 7.5%?

You'd actually be up then as opposed to this illusion which in reality is a drop in standards of living abeit by a very slight margin but a drop nonetheless.

Obviously, of course it would. But lets face it, thats never happened and its likely it will never happen.

Depends, database number crunching software such as Microsoft Money is far more expensive than £30.

Yeah but you know where you stand with MS, they aint called Microshaft for nothing. Ask all those xbox owners. :D

Where are you getting the idea of a drop?

4% is well above inflation, in fact inflation has been below 4% for nearly a year now - ONS

Obviously, of course it would. But lets face it, thats never happened and its likely it will never happen.

No it wont, but you must admire the illusion these bankers have created. The average joe thinks he's £4 better off a week every year, when in reality he is most likley £2-4 a week worse off every year.

Economics is a wonderful swindle if you know how to play it.

Where are you getting the idea of a drop?

4% is well above inflation, in fact inflation has been below 4% for nearly a year now - ONS

You'll see once VAT has been restored to its 17.5% level and income tax rises next year. All to pay for the bankers bail out, and theres massive spending cuts on the way. All that whilst ignoring the huge black hole in pensions.

Its gonna be a drop in living standards if you want to admit it or not. No doubt about it.

The topic was along the lines of legal robbery I think. You know Steam (The legal pirates) robbing the consumer (You, Me, Us All).

But Steam didnt rob me, i got a game out of it. They didnt put me in the back of a van, tie me up and force me to buy it from them. If i didnt want to buy it from there i wouldnt. As i said earlier, it was the most ideal place for me to get it from this year.

Did they rob you? I mean, did you buy from Steam? Im guessing not.

The topic was along the lines of legal robbery I think. You know Steam (The legal pirates) robbing the consumer (You, Me, Us All).

A) Whats that got to do with SI & this board.

B) Do you propose SI monopolise the price and not allow competition between retailers?

C) No one is forcing you to buy from Steam.

D) Steam, like any other store is sometimes cheap & sometimes expensive, do your homework before you buy.

But Steam didnt rob me, i got a game out of it. They didnt put me in the back of a van, tie me up and force me to buy it from them. If i didnt want to buy it from there i wouldnt. As i said earlier, it was the most ideal place for me to get it from this year.

Did they rob you? I mean, did you buy from Steam? Im guessing not.

Thats because legal robbery works differently to illegal robbery. Legal robbery leaves you with the exact feeling of not being put in the back of a van, being tied up or forced into buying it from them. Thats how consumer manipulation works, legally.

Great isnt it. :D

Steam patches automatically, so what? It takes you about 4 minutes to patch manually. I don't think it is something you should pay for.

I bought a boxed game from a retailer, installed it by Steam and I can enjoy the same advantages as those who bought it for more.

Archived