My Board Have Given Me A £31M Transfer Budget, But....

....i only have £11M in the bank and am losing around £3.5M a month.

Now, am i supposed to look and think "we obviously cannot afford to spend this money, and its part of my job to keep the books in order" or, are th Board saying they are backing me and dont worry about what i spend?

Sorry to bring up a RL scenario again, but if ANY Manager is given an allotted amount of transfer funds he is entitled to think it is his to spend, especially as in my game he has just qualified for the CL, yet i can only see one thing happening if i was to spend this transfer kitty.

It's upto you in this situation. If they didn't want you to spend it - you wouldn't have got the money.

I guess it comes down to the confidence you have in spending the money wisely enough to cover the outgoings in prize money.

Spend it. Most clubs lose money throughout the season which gets made up at the end using prize money, especially if you are in the champions league.

I look at year on year balance. So if your balance now is £11million, i always try to get it higher than that at the same point next year.

I reckon i'd be about £40-£50M in debt come May, so to spend it i think i may well have to win the CL and finish in a CL place at least in the EPL again.

I also think i will have gone into administration long before May was i to spend it.

This is yet another part of the game that could/should be much better/clearer in its application.

I reckon i'd be about £40-£50M in debt come May, so to spend it i think i may well have to win the CL and finish in a CL place at least in the EPL again.

I also think i will have gone into administration long before May was i to spend it.

This is yet another part of the game that could/should be much better/clearer in its application.

But at the end you will get a payout from the champions league, and a good payout from league finishing. Dont forget, you get half a million quid for a group game win in the champions league and quarter million for a draw.

But at the end you will get a payout from the champions league, and a good payout from league finishing. Dont forget, you get half a million quid for a group game win in the champions league and quarter million for a draw.

Yeah but i've seen this happen before, the game does not take into account future income and as such i'd be loking at administration, even if i had more than enough coming in to cover it.

Yeah but i've seen this happen before, the game does not take into account future income and as such i'd be loking at administration, even if i had more than enough coming in to cover it.

Well then i guess your answering your own question with regards to spending it or not :)

Why not spread the payments over 24, 36, or 48 months?

Jesus, i sounded like an advert for Ocean Finance then :D

Don't spend all 31 million. My club team I have $11 milllion, losing around $500k a month. I have a $7 million transfer budget but have spent only $84k. Don't forget, if you run the club into debt, the transfer and wage budgets will be less for next year.

It's your choice, but I would be cautious when it comes to spending. Make sure the outgoing and the incoming transfers are approximately the same.

If you're confident that you'll match or exceed expectations and think you need a few players, spend it. Otherwise don't. Remember you'll get up to £20m for the league, up to £20m for CL prize money, at least £16m CL TV money and I don't know how much leage TV money.

I am in the same boat. My board gave me £47mil to spen but I think I normally run at a £2-£3mil loss a month.

But I will defo finish in the top 2 if not champs of prem. At least quarters of CL. Final of F.A and League cup.

Only spent £15mil of it and thats been offset by a £10mil sale of a youngster.

When I manage I very very rarely allow the balance to go into the red. I've managed consecutive promotions with Southampton and was given 17m. I can't remember what my balance was at the time but I know it wasn't near 17m.

You'll always get prize money etc at the end of the year, so do the board allocate transfer funds on potential prize money come the end of the season?

When spreading payments over 24/48 months etc I always try to ensure I've got as muchc coming in as I have going oout give or take 30k. I'm making a loss every month at the moment but I look to be heading towards a comfortbale slot in midtable so that should boost my balance slightly.

You answered your own question with everything i was going to say :D

It's up to you to prop up the clubs finances, the AI isn't intelligent in this area and doesn't take future income into account like you acknowledge.

If you can't make up the difference in the summer, then it's unwise to spend the £31m now. Champ League TV Money for a finalist is around £20m, League Prize Money for the Prem around £13m? Sponsorship around £5-10m depending on club? Season Tickets between £10-25m depending on club?

Not a lot of income to make up the forecasted £50m debt you think you might be in and if you do scrape even, you'll be starting the new season with a very small balance and the cycle will repeat itself.

I think it depends on how big the reward is potentially on the risk taken. If spending the 30 million will bring in the quality to win the Champions league, then I'd spend it...But if it's the difference between finish 9th and 15th, I'd save the money, go for the cheaper options and consider the clubs long term goals.

I've just gone into the red in my first season in the Prem. Had a balance of c£4m, and was handed a budget of £16m. However my team was rubbish (completely fluked a promotion) so I needed every penny and had to put my concerns to one side. Unfortunately it now looks like I'm going to be relegated anyway and left to deal with the fallout. So beware.

I think you should spend a bit of it, maybe about £5-£10m on younger players which you could sell for a profit, then get a new feeder club for the financial benefits. and hope that the board decides to increase the size of the stadium at the end of the season. i was in a similar situation and bought alex teixeira for £4.5m and after a season got offers of £15m+, get a few players like that and you could clear your debt, but selling promising young players each season could affect your teams performances. good luck

You should try and sell some players that are in your reserves or players that are only squad players to try and make up a bigger balance. I always try and do that when i'm buying players. If I spend £40million I will try and sell a similar amount so I dont end up losing that much money.

....i only have £11M in the bank and am losing around £3.5M a month.

Now, am i supposed to look and think "we obviously cannot afford to spend this money, and its part of my job to keep the books in order" or, are th Board saying they are backing me and dont worry about what i spend?

Sorry to bring up a RL scenario again, but if ANY Manager is given an allotted amount of transfer funds he is entitled to think it is his to spend, especially as in my game he has just qualified for the CL, yet i can only see one thing happening if i was to spend this transfer kitty.

You are Harry Redknapp and I claim my five pounds

Well, I'd think to myself, is the squad I currently have good enough to reach the expectations?:

If the answers yes then look at investing wisely in younger players for 2 or 3 seasons down the line, but don't overspend in case you don't meet the expectations.

If the answers no, then I'd look to spend at least a good chunk of it and do everything possible to meet those expectations.

Which team are you?

If you are, say, West Ham, it'll be harder to recoup the money than if you are Liverpool or Man Utd. The bigger clubs make a lot of money by winning games - simply, you are successful then merchandising goes up along with a few other things like going on tour in the far east and the USA.

Bigger clubs often restructure their debt too, but smaller ones are forced to sell.

Personally, even as West Ham, I would spend what I think I need to spend. If there's a high profile player (shirt sales) go for it, but if it's a choice between an expensive maestro and a cheap youngster with good attributes, I'd go with the cheap youngster.

You WILL make money, but as you rightly point out, it doesn't take into account future earnings, so it's a gamble as to whether you can meet your bank loan repayments and any rent etc on your facilities.

The other thing to consider is whether you have a sugar daddy chairman. It doesn't matter if you lose a little bit then, but if it's a PLC, be very careful.

I always spend it, every penny. If the board are willing to let me put the club into debt to sign players, so be it. And so what if the club goes bankrupt? I can just as easily jump ship and leave them foundering. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, that's for sure.

Well despite having to purchase an emergency striker i left the rest alone.

Having come 4th in the EPL and Losing out to R Madrid(on away goals) in the CL Qtr Final, we amassed about £40M which just about put me back in the black.

This season with a bank balance of just £5M the board reckon that "As a result of an improvement in the clubs financial position" they can give me a £36M transfer budget.

Really?

hmmm, in my second season with Carrick Rangers now and still £0 transfer budget and £1300 wage budget.

some people don't know when they got it good lol.

I've got players on £1 a week and i'm still over my wage budget!

Well despite having to purchase an emergency striker i left the rest alone.

Having come 4th in the EPL and Losing out to R Madrid(on away goals) in the CL Qtr Final, we amassed about £40M which just about put me back in the black.

This season with a bank balance of just £5M the board reckon that "As a result of an improvement in the clubs financial position" they can give me a £36M transfer budget.

Really?

Which club are you playing as?

Archived