299 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of game do you play...

• Career Game
    • Short Career Stints 2-5 years
    • International Boss
    • 1 Season Wonder
    • Mix of the Above

Are you a long-term career boss?

Prefer a 1 season hit with different teams?

International Manager?

Short-term career stints over 5 years?

Mix of the above?

I decided to post this because I am slightly bored, and my housemates duct-taped me to my chair...

My FM games are very predictable. First save with Liverpool, mainly so I can get used to the new features from the previous game. (Secondly so that we finally can win something!!)

Second save, random Blue square team brought to the top until I get bored with winning.

A few months without FM

A third, nostalgic Liverpool save.

New FM gets released. Repeat the above.

I love it :)

I'd say career spanning about 10-15 seasons, usually involving about 3 clubs.

I do tend to suffer from a very strange phenomenon in these games though. I can be, say, 4 seasons in with a club and really enjoying it, becoming obsessed with the game, doing mock interviews in my head, the works. But suddenly and completely without warning I completely lose interest and either quit to join another club or start a whole new save. I wonder if anyone else suffers from this?

Its interesting that not one person has said International Management. I've tried this a few times but it is an odd experience. Either it is just too slow and too long between matches (the traditional International winter break can last forever), or time passes too fast as hardly any matches are being watched and so it seems slightly unrealistic. The whole fun or buying and selling players is taken away too which isn't to allot of peoples tastes.

I find it hard to believe that anyone does more international management than club management although its a feature I always liked being there just in case.

Career game for me but am now into my 10th season and as has been said above the game becomes very unrealistic so have started a new save but this time with the dirty mancs and see how they fair compared to playing as Arsenal. First thing i noticed is the wierd idea that Arsenal are the bookies faves for the Prem:)

I like career games but i only seem to be able to do it as Man Utd so far. I always seem to get bored of other teams after 2-3 seasons but my goal for my save at the moment is that if i feel i am losing interest in the team i'm at im going to finish the season and move teams to prevent and prevent having lots of saves with only a few seasons done in each.

Always attempt a career game, but due to real life contraints it just takes so long I, like it appears others get bored.

I will then have a go at editing my fave team (Everton) to absolute world beaters allow them to win everything and then get bored with this.

Finally I will create random world class players and staff of various nations, allow them to be free agents and watch to see what becomes of them whilst attempting another career game (don't sign my creations for at least 2 seasons).

I do tend to suffer from a very strange phenomenon in these games though. I can be, say, 4 seasons in with a club and really enjoying it, becoming obsessed with the game, doing mock interviews in my head, the works. But suddenly and completely without warning I completely lose interest and either quit to join another club or start a whole new save. I wonder if anyone else suffers from this?

Absolutely mate - this has happened to me many times. I'm loving the game and all of a sudden I think, sod it, I'll start a new save game.

As for 'doing mock interviews in my head', I thought I was the only one! I always do them. Playing on FM, pop to the shop, do interviews in my head. Go to the toilet - interview, eat my tea -interview. It becomes quite obsessive! And my interviews are always better than the game's interviews!

Mixture. Atm i'm playing a long term International save, i'm in 2023 and just moving to my 8th nation. I also have a journeyman/career/challenge save going, 4 years into that and two stages complete, just moving to my third club.

The only thing I don't ever do is manage in England.

Career for me, biggest one was a 20 year one when I started with Wycombe, did well but got the sack, took Barnsley from 20th in L2 to 7 times winners of the Premiership (in a row) 2023 was where I got before the new game came out. Was also England Manager

That was CM 03/04, never really got past 2017/18 since. Am aiming to get further this time - started with Rossendale, 4 promotions later got them to the top of League 2, now managing Sheffield United, aiming to get them in the Prem and become England boss

Career game for me. I also tend to prefer staying at the same club for a long time, rather than move around. I just get so attached to teams that leaving, even to a much better club, becomes difficult.

I like to play a career game.

The best part of the game for me is developing youth into star players, and watching them score that winning goal in a cup final.

Me too.

I create my own team in the editor, and this time a 10-tier league with me at the bottom. I'll get as far as I can in ayear before FM11 is out. There's no way I'm moving - ever!!!

Was it me who wrote the above or someone else. Could not agree more

• 1 year later...

I like to do a career with a league club, either EPL or championship, then when an international job becomes available where I feel knowledge of said nation would help me with my club, then i will manage both club and country. but this is easier said than done, and i normally end up with an african team that i stay with for at most a year before moving on

Very very short. I play up until the game becomes too far detached from real life that I can't take it. Often this is before two years are up, though I often stop playing before the end of one season anyway, usually when I get a burning desire to manage someone else in particular, after which I cannot pick up the threads of my old games. Also those meandering pre-seasons make me a bit stir crazy, and I'm never comfortable going on holiday too long.

It's gotta be a long career game for me. Staring in the sticking depths of the Blue Square South and eventually emerging smelling of roses in the Premiership with the same club. (That's the plan, although it doesn't always work out that way).

I also like to grab an international job along the way if the opportunity arises, so can I have 2 votes? :D

Archived