Stars or stats? : Evaluating a player.

Hello there,

I'm asking myself about how it is best to evaluate a player, and, doing so, which one choose as a first team member. I explain:

-Looking at the stats only, means that I check all the stats and I conclude that this player is better than this one because he has 8 stats on green (above 15) and few or none stat in red (less than 10).

This method is for me the best but I have some differences when I look to coach advices and how much stars a player is ranked.

-Looking at the stars give a global appreciation of a player but it can be tricky as some players ranked 2 stars are doing better than some others ranked 4 stars..

An other point of view is to use past seasons or current season stat and look at how many goals/assist/averaged ranked a player has made.

What do you do when a player has done a bad performance? For example let's say that one of your good player in terms of stats got 6.00 on average and an other got 7.00..

Which one is best to select?

Thank you for your thoughts :)

What do you do when a player has done a bad performance? For example let's say that one of your good player in terms of stats got 6.00 on average and an other got 7.00..

Which one is best to select?

Thank you for your thoughts :)

Over how many games did they get the average and were they starting or brought on as a sub?

If they both played/started the same amount of games then i'd go for the player with an average of 7.00 :D

i tend to look for stats, then checking his history but i always take into account what team and league he plays in because a brazilian who hits 30 a season wont hit 30 a season in the prem, whereas someone in la liga who hits 30 goals is more likely to do better, due to him scoring goals in a competitive league

also tactics play a part as just because they have stats and history, if the tactic doesnt suit them then they probs wont get a 7.00 average (this happened when i signed messi and playing him LM he got like 6.74 over the season)

Archived