[Guide] Chelsea FC

f0xi0g.jpg

Chelsea Football Club - London's Finest

Introduction

Hello, it brings my great pleasure to introduce my second guide and my first FMH2010 one. Last year you may remember my Chelsea guide which won 'Best guide' in the forum awards well this year I am back in aid to enlighten and entertain you but I am now planning to make it bigger and more general by being more in depth and taking a more general game route.

Please also take note that I have loaded the default leagues up for this and some of the players in the guide may vary with different leagues.

Starting off

Whenever I start a new game I look at the assistant report, please take this with a pinch of salt as it isn't exact and is often quite wrong but could be useful to see the areas you need strengthening and your best players.

After that I normally have a look at my team and go through them all, since we are talking about Chelsea then I will demote the players on loan like di Santo and put the other youngsters on loan and demote them to the reserves as well. Since they are in the reserves and/or on loan then they will need to develop, the key to management at this level is getting top quality youngsters through though you aren't playing them. I do this using a training technique called Intensive Training and this is known to improve those youngsters whilst providing a key ingredient for Chelsea which is keeping the older players steady and as Chelsea have many of these ageing players they can provide useful but need to have the constant stats as well.

Now your squad will be quite free but if you want to terminate some loans and sell them then do so as this will raise your funds a bit however these players may be hard to judge and sell so I would sell the ones with stats which don't look promising second season. I would normally look to sell most players who are over 30 at this point and because Chelsea have a lot it is key to keep a few of the key ones like Lampard and Drogba but sell the dead wood like Deco as the likes of Drogba are still very sharp and prove vital for you but also give depth, if your finding it hard to sell some of your players you could use this tip and this should help attract interest and sales giving you a bigger budget.

Looking at your information screen you will see the squad is over or nearly over wage budget, this is easy to combat and also a big must as Chelsea and any other team as if you want to succeed your budget's will need to be in the green. Simply go to your profile and onto board requests then select the budget adjust and lower your transfer budget a bit till you have a suitable wage budget however be aware that you shouldn't change it too much as then you won't be able to buy the players you want so only do it once or twice but because of the sales you have or are going to make then you should look to have an extra million or two from your original allocated budget of £27m to cover this wage adjustment.

Basic information

There isn't a lot to know about Chelsea. The stadium which they play their home games is called Stamford Bridge and that is based in London. Chelsea's nickname is 'The Blues' from their royal blue shirt and they are one of the world's richest clubs meaning you get quite a bit of transfer budget each season (£30m +) however at the start they are over their wage budget meaning you have to adjust it. The main rivals for the club are Arsenal, Fulham, Tottenham and West Ham who are all local but others include Liverpool, Manchester United and Barcelona, 'The blues' were founded in 1905 making them just over 100 years old and the current captain is John Terry but legends include Dennis Wise, Gianfranco Zola, Peter Osgood, Ron Harris and Ruud Guillet. Last season saw the club re lift the FA Cup after a 'dry' period of no trophies for the team but now they are in the Community Shield for this season as well as the Champions League and last season they came third in the Premier League and reached the semi finals of the Champions League under temporary manager Guus Hiddink.

2uz6jvk.jpg

The squad

Chelsea have an ageing squad and it is therefore harder to play a long term game without buying youngsters and taking them up the ranks. The most prominent part is the midfield which is helped by Essien, Ballack, Lampard and Malouda as well as Joe Cole and John Obi Mikel who are also great players but to compete at the top you will need to expand on this great squad by bringing in more depth to play a rotational policy when your main players get injured and/or are tired. At the start Chelsea have great, attacking wing backs but lack depth up front with only two prominent striker, however most of the team is fully equipped and ready for the first season meaning you only need a few signings to tighten the loose ends as such.

Goalkeepers:

>>Petr Cech Chelsea's best goalkeeper and one which shouldn't be sold at any cost as he is one of the best you will ever find but also at 26 years old he will be around for some time still.

>>Hilario A useful but ageing back up however for the first season he will do as cover in the Carling Cup and if needed but soon as you can after look to sell him and bring in a younger one.

Overall: The goalkeepers you have are good enough first season yet only Petr Cech is up to a standard with Hilario cover if needed though you should look to sell Hilario for someone younger to provide the necessary cover for your number one and to play in the less profile games and I would look to get another one so you have a spare just in case but Hilario can be this goalkeeper yet with his age he could retire shortly.

Defenders:

>>Jose Boswinga-DR Jose Boswinga is one of Portugal's best full backs and with his attacking nature a very good asset to your team going forward, he's definitely your best in his position.

>>Slobodan Rajkovic-D RLC A certain talent with stats to prove my point, he is on loan at Twente where he can develop so I would leave him there on intensive training but one to look out for in two seasons as he is versatile so he can provide you cover.

>>Branislav Ivanovic-D RC An all round player in defence with a great ability in all areas, he can be used very wisely for cover for DC however he is some way down the pecking order.

>>Michael Mancienne-D RC A young prospect, he is the next John Terry and already on his way. You can do two things, keep him on loan or use him as cover but I would say keeping him on loan is the best thing to do with Alex, Ivanovic, Carvalho and Terry in front of him.

>>Ashley Cole-DL Your best DL but only just, you need to keep him no matter what as he is one of the best in the game and very reliable, just look at his stats!

>>Alex-DCA very powerful defender who is physical, I would say he is your third best DC and he is just hitting his peak with him being great cover when needed.

>>Ricardo Carvalho-DC Just behind John Terry in your DC chart but still a world class defender yet you will only have him for a few seasons with him being 31 so make use of him.

>>John Terry-DC Your captain and best defender. All green/blue stats and still only 28, an inspirational leader and pivotal to your team.

>>Jack Cork-D/DM RC Put him on the loan list as he won't get a look in first season but he is a good one for the future.

>>Juliano Belletti-D/DM RC Not needed in your team and you could get a few million for him to give you a bit more money, however he is a good player if needed but as he is ageing he can be used more wisely by selling him.

>>Ryan Bertrand-D/M L Not good enough to be in your team to be honest and though he is on loan he isn't your best of youngsters. A sale could be good for both parties.

>>Yury Zhrikov-D/AM L Just outdone by Ashley Cole in DL but a very versatile player as he can play DL or ML meaning he is great cover and handy in many situations.

Overall: Your defence is very strong but one signing could prove useful as at times an injury could leave your vulnerable yet the defence is very strong in all areas with many players providing cover in two positions.

Midfielders:

>>Michael Essien-DMC A key part of your squad in the middle of the park, a defensive option but he can also attack, much needed in your starting XI in the middle of the park to provide security.

>>John Obi Mikel-DMCA top player but a deputy to Essien, he will grow into a player who is as good or even better than Essien though and is great cover for him if he gets injured.

>>Nemanja Matic-MC Loan him first season and then see how he is, he can be a good player but he has holes in his stats making him weak overall yet with a bit of experience and intensive training he could be a good back up for you in a few seasons.

>>Miroslav Stoch-AM R/L If your playing a central formation he isn't needed, although he is on loan and I would keep him there first season but at 19 he won't hit is strive for some time and he isn't the best of his age.

>>Joe Cole-AM RLC An useful player as he can play anywhere in midfield and up top on the sides as well, very handy to have in your squad.

>>Florent Malouda-AML Though he is stated as an AML he is a great midfielder and is in the best of your players, I play him on the 4-3-3 in midfield on the left but he can play up top on the same side if needs be.

>>Michael Ballack-MC Ageing but still a good player, handy as a last resort player and one you can rely on to perform when drafted in but he isn't the best of midfielders.

>>Deco-AMC A very good player to raise a few million to your transfer budget as he is not going to make it into your subs bench often and is better sold straight away.

>>Frank Lampard-AMC Your most valuable midfielder though he is over 30 he still performs and gets goals, a must in your team.

>>Salomon Kalou-AM/F RLC Is a better forward than midfielder, your third best striker and will be on the bench week in, week out for you till Anelka moves on but he's still great at only 23.

>>Scott Sinclair-AM/F RLC On loan and a better forward than midfielder but he isn't up to Chelsea standard.

>>Nicolas Anelka-AM/F RC Your second best striker and one who you should use to the maximum first season with Drogba but second season you should look to cash in as he turns 31.

Overall: A very strong midfield with not many places to improve, if you play a 4-3-3 then your midfield is strong with a MC three easily top draw but your team lacks the wingers for a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with only two great ones - Joe Cole and Florent Malouda however, it is very deep with a few ageing players.

Strikers:

>>Didier Drogba-SC Your main striker and being 31 very experienced and a source for your goals but he also assists others.

>>Franco di Santo-SC One of the brightest talents in your squad and on loan to Blackburn but can easily be recalled for cover if needs be and if so he will deliver.

Overall: Anelka, Kalou and Sinclair can also be classed as Strikers and it is a very good line up but with only three you will need to get some more before doing anything else.

Key players:

With a squad like Chelsea's you have bags of talent but you need a spine to keep it in balance throughout the season.

m7qiqa.jpg

Petr Cech-Goalkeeper-27 years old-Czech Republic-£10.5m

4gqwk.jpg

John Terry-Central Defender-28 years old-England-£15m

mr95i9.jpg

Michael Essien-Defensive Midfielder-26 years old-Ghana-£26.5m

2r6d177.jpg

Frank Lampard-Attacking Midfielder-30 years old-England-£17.75m

b9jdxs.jpg

Didier Drogba-Striker-31 years old-Ivory Coast-£9.5m

Captain:

The obvious captain is John Terry, John is the captain of Chelsea in real life and a very good player in FMH. Other choices can be Frank Lampard, Petr Cech and Didier Drogba but most players with high leadership fit the bill nicely yet I would recommend John Terry to be your main one as he has the experience and stats but he is a key part of your squad as well.

Transfers

Chelsea have a strong midfield and I have established that so that is a good area, you will need to build around it by buying at least one striker but if you are playing a 4-3-3 you will need two. It is also an option to buy another goalkeeper due to the ageing Hilario and defender just in case of an injury to a key player and if your not playing 4-3-3 then wingers will be needed.

Transfers in:

>>Davino Verhulst-GK Davino is a promising goalkeeper who plays for Genk but the best thing is he is worth a mere £325k meaning he can be brought for just over £1m and is the perfect player to cover Cech.

>>Sinan Bolat-GK The Standard goalkeeper is more expensive than Velhurst but also one year younger, he is already capped for Turkey and a promising future is ahead of him but he is only £850k.

>>Fredrik Stoor-D RLC Plays everywhere in defence making him a valuable back up player and perfect for your squad and he is only valued at £2.6m, one of the best hidden talents in the game for what he is needed for.

>>Luca Rossettini-D RLC A 24 year old who plays for Siena and another perfect fit for your squad, his stamina is a great point for him.

>>Ronnie Stam-D/DM RLC A very versatile 25 year old playing for Twente in Holland, he can be a great cover player for your team but his aggression is high which could lead to red cards.

>>Luka Modric-AM RLC At £8m he is pricey but worth every penny, he is still young but can play anywhere in midfield making him valuable.

>>Tobias Weis-AM RLC Hoffenheim's star midfielder and very young with near perfect stats, one to watch out for who can be snapped up at around £5m if tried.

>>Mesut Ozil-AM LC 20 year old winger and a very good one, perfect for filling the gap with your wingers if needed.

>>Yannick Djalo-SC Perfect cover and a great bench warmer, reasonably priced and will be great for a few seasons as that is when he will be the best.

>>Pavel Pogrebnyak-SC The addition you need for your team, a great price and age with him churning out performances out weekly, the must buy player for your squad.

>>Mauro Zarate-AM/F RLC Quite expensive but a really good buy if you want the cover and he is still only 22.

Transfers out:

>>Hilario-GK Getting old but still a good player, you won't get much for him but if you want to get some decent money then sell straight away.

>>Juliano Beletti-D/DM RC Expendiable, you should sell him as he won't get a look into your squad and could raise some decent money.

>>Ryan Bertrand-D/M L Will never become a top player and is a likely sale in the future.

>>Nemanja Matic-MC A good player but may want first team football which he won't get.

>>Deco-AMC Old and not going to play much, a good sale for a few million.

>>Scott Sinclair-AM/F RLC Not going to live up to Chelsea standard and would be better off sold.

Tactics

Chelsea are a good team and can play various tactics including 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 but if you look at the squad then a 4-3-3 would suit them best due to their strong MCs.

Before the signings the team is impressive, a star marks the captain and this is my recommended starting XI.

25a54ro.jpg

However, if you look then the team could do with a few tweaks, I would look at buying a few of the players above and judging by these I have altered my side to fit.

6r7uko.jpg

The formation I am playing is 4-3-3 and it is my own version, the tactics I use are from my 4-3-3 which is the same as what I am using.

Alternativily you could use a flat 4-4-2 if things are not going so well.

iele34.jpg

Other things

Now your squad is set for the first season you can look ahead, I would use a rotational policy by changing just a few players per game to keep everybody fit but you will need the depth which you hopefully now have.

In January you can look at the contracts expiring filter and offer contracts, these are called Bosmans and are free, this provides extra depth, good youngsters and players like Arda Turan for nothing.

A few season on you will come across regens, these are players who are created to fill spots left by retired players and many are very good, there is an easy way to get the best of these and that is by using this tip.

Make sure your budgets are always positive and use your assistant wisely and also your scouts but try and keep the board happy as doing this will give you more money and chances while keeping your players performing well. Playing as Chelsea can be a very demanding game and keeping your players happy is hard but rotating them so they all play about 10 is a useful thing to do as this settles every one and keeping them all happy means better results, playing younger and fringe players in the Carling/FA Cup early rounds but also in games which aren't important is key to this.

Lastly

Many thanks for reading my guide, it has took a lot of effort and I hoped you enjoy it.

Chelsea is a very enjoyable game and one which is fun but it can be very hard at times, I hope I have inspired you in some way and I look forward to hearing from you.

If you have any questions just ask,

Dec.

How do you post pics?

you can do it because on the tactics forum for the PC theres pics in every thread?

The image code has been turned off on this part of the forum :(

It was when people starting posting the awards they won under every post so blame them :p You know who you are ;)

Archived