08, 09 or 10?

Hey folks,

I haven't played an Fm since 2006 edition but have always been a massive fan of the game back to the late 90's (when it was Champ Man of course). My current PC won't run anything beyond 06 (and even then its dodgy) but I plan to buy a new PC in the new year and naturally I want a decent Football Manager to play.

My question is simply should I get 2008, 2009 or 2010? I'm not too worried about whether the stats/data is totally up to date, its more the quality of the game I'm interested in. Which of the 3 is best overall? I've heard mixed things about 2010, too buggy etc, but also people who says its the best one yet. I've also heard people say 08 is the best. What one should I go?

Did the 10.2 make it worse then?

You're thinking about 9.2.0 .. 10.2 is still going to be released this month :D

Well, right now between 10 and 09 i prefer FM 09, probably the patch is going to change my mind .. i don't remember 08 very well but that one was probably my favorite considering the other two options

If the patch doesn't fix the problems i'm having with FM10, i'm going back to FM08, FM09 was almost as good as 08 imo but FM08 had a better match engine and didn't have the boring press conferences. So i'd wait till you get some feedback for the 2nd patch and if its still as bad as it is now, you should go for 08.

I'd go for 10 really. I understand you're not bothered about stats and data but that's just one small reason why you should get it

09 put me off the series

08 is very good but 10 has so many features over it. The 3D match engine is heavily improved, and it's the addictiveness which is key which it has over the previous two versions, and although it isn't perfect it's the finest for a few years..

I played 07, 08 and 09 to death and yet I probably played 08 the most. Out of those three I'd pick 08 but I've been pleasantly surprised by FM10 and the new patch should fix all the minor problems I've been having.

So, in my opinion, 08 if you're searching for a bargain (it's well cheap these days) or 10 if you want the patch & data updates, which I know you said you weren't bothered about but they do make a difference.

2009 with a large gap over any other (and 08 before 10).

(3D, never had bugs -had not many in 2010 though-, great playability with lots of good new features, excellent player abilities which make it a very enjoyable game when you start discovering them, especially for PL where you ll find many great teams to manage with different goals)

I was very excited for FM10 but I have been left dissapointed, i've not played it since the week it was released.

I would have never seen myself saying this as at the time I thought it was a poor game but i'm back onto '09 and enjoying it.

i've got 07,08.09 and 10.

At the moment im still undecided. 07 was a great game but going back to it seems like a step in the wrong direction, same with 08.

I got alot of enjoyment with 09 playing my longest game on it as i really got into it with some great regens. of course i'm playing 10 at the moment and quite enjoying it in my 6th season, still i haven't quite got into it as much as 09 yet but maybe that's because the game im playing is still from my demo save game with only Italian leagues running.

I prefer FM 08. It is faster, less buggy, {with the patches} and I really do enjoy it. I bought FM09 when that came out and was very disappointed with all the errors and bugs. I ended up taking it back to the shop because it was unplayable. I waited for FM 10 and when that came back I bought it. But, I have been very very disappointed with it, having had nothing but problems with it. Also it has lost something, I think the makers are trying to be too clever now, trying to make it as realistic as possible. In the process the game has become overcomplicated and bogged down. Out of all of them FM 08 is the one for me.

Currently FM 2010 seems to be too buggy.

On FM 2009 tactics are destroyed, game crashes too often...

FM 2008 is rock solid, good tactics, no serious bugs. So atm FM 2008. Of course, if somebody wants 3D-animation, then not.

FM08 is the best Football Manager in my opinion. I play FM2010 but I get bored terribly easy as there is too much clicking. Even more so with the new interface which I just find annoying as everything is hidden in diffrent screens instead of the old drop down menu's. Also press conferences are a meaningless feature IMO. I don't want to attend them but if I send my AM he'll totally screw morale up and I go on a loosing streak.

FM08 all the way!!

10, despite all the pathetic attention seeking blithering about patches and unplayability being blurted out above.

Yes, 100%. FM10 all the way, esoecially as new patch is soon due out.

how can people not love fm 10 people who say tactics are to hard are **** at the game, im arsenal and have just gone 11 games without conceding scoring on aevrage 3 a game, the goals are flowing im, people need to get better at tactics!!!

To be fair jackwilshere, saying tactics are easy is kind of hollow coming from someone who is managing one of the top clubs in the game :confused:

Archived