2-0 at halftime bug

first of all i just want to say I love this game and that this years is the best and most realistic yet. I havn't even experienced most of the bugs everyone is talking about (apart form maybe strikers scoring too many of my goals) but I was wondering whether anyone has suffered from the 2-0 lead at halftime bug where you will almost definitely come back to lose. This has been in the game for three versions that I know of and it ruins a game for me if I am 2-0 up at halftime. Just wondering whether it was just a fluke occurrence on my game or that it is actually still in the game?

I don't know if its a 'bug', in fact I doubt it is, but yeah, this happens to me virtually every time I'm 2-0 up. In the game I'm playing now there was 3 games in a row last season that all ended in 2-2 and I was leading at half time.

I don't think its a bug though I think its solely down to tactics, but I'm completely useless at tactics and that's why I constantly throw the lead away

Never [or VERY rarely] happens to me. I must have one of the rare bug-free discs :D

Seriously though, if you throw away a 2-0 lead all the time, it is a (or most certainly can be in most cases) tactical and team talk issue.

first of all i just want to say I love this game and that this years is the best and most realistic yet. I havn't even experienced most of the bugs everyone is talking about (apart form maybe strikers scoring too many of my goals) but I was wondering whether anyone has suffered from the 2-0 lead at halftime bug where you will almost definitely come back to lose. This has been in the game for three versions that I know of and it ruins a game for me if I am 2-0 up at halftime. Just wondering whether it was just a fluke occurrence on my game or that it is actually still in the game?

I think you're confusing a "bug" with you being bad at the game.

It's not a bug, it's never been one. Teams can make comebacks it's part of football.

• Administrators

We've done a fair bit of research into team talks to look into this - I would very much suggest taking into consideration any tactical changes or motivational changes your opposition will come out with, and you should be able to at least hold onto the win. Sometimes however, teams will just play better than you.

Never [or VERY rarely] happens to me. I must have one of the rare bug-free discs :D

Seriously though, if you throw away a 2-0 lead all the time, it is a (or most certainly can be in most cases) tactical and team talk issue.

I agree with this. I don't think it has happened to me on FM10 yet. *Touches wood*

Some questions for the opening poster:

Is this occurring more at home or away?

Does it happen against certain types of opponents more than others (i.e. big teams or smaller teams)?

What changes do you make at half-time in terms of tactics (if any)?

What half-time team talk do you give?

Perhaps some of us can help by giving some advice. I know I used to find team talks quite frustrating in the past until I started really thinking about them and trying harder to work out which option would seem most appropriate.

Regards,

C.

Team talk = none.

Leaving it is the best way. :thup:

Correct :thup:

Maybe an individual "pleased" if one or two players have been playing really well.

I wouldn't even bother with an individual "pleased" for a couple of lads - leave it all until the match is over. If you say nothing and they get angered, this is a good thing. I'd rather them angry than "didn't seem to be listening..." and besides, you're sending them back onto the pitch with fire in their bellies, as opposed to totally insouciant.

I disagree that I am bad at the game. team talk has too much effect on the performance. i tried multiple team talks and changing my tactics tactics but it always results in a fightback. Nine times out of ten they will fight back from 2-0 down to at least draw or win and nine times out of ten if I am up 1-0 or 3-0 I can hold onto my lead making me not bad at the game seen as though it is unrealistic

When leading 2-0 at half time I normally encourage and it doesn't have too many adverse effects from what I've noticed anyway.

Very rarely leave it as none, and never "I don't expect your performance to drop" - That has almost been a certain downfall for any of my teams in the past.

It's not a bug, it's never been one.

That's not strictly true. In a previous version a patch did tone them down a bit as too many people were experiencing them on a very regular basis. Thats just me being pedantic though.

The key really is to find the team talk that is most effective with your players. As my players have a tendancy to get a bit complacent, I never say pleased, other then for individual who has a rating of 8.5 or more. If I'm odds on favourites, I will say "don't expect your performance to drop" as I want them to push on to score more, whilst for all other matches, I don't say anything. Thats seems to work perfectly for my team and it's very rare for me to experience a comeback, though I do agree with those who say that team talks are too effective.

When leading 2-0 at half time I normally encourage and it doesn't have too many adverse effects from what I've noticed anyway.

Very rarely leave it as none, and never "I don't expect your performance to drop" - That has almost been a certain downfall for any of my teams in the past.

How do you encourage?

My biggest gripe is at 2-0, the only realistic talks available are 'pleased' and 'don't let your performance drop'. Unfortunately, they seem to be interpreted as 'job done, you can relax' and 'I don't appreciate your performance so far'.

Rarely happens to me. I've often been 2-0 up then 2-2 at around 60-70mins and going a little bit mad. But usually I win 3-2 or 4-2 when I send on a couple of subs and change tactics. These days, though, I find no team talk plus a small tweak to tactics usually prevents these miraculous comebacks.

Like others have said, second half, the opponants are fired up, and the more determined your opposition the more likely you are to concede. Just ask yourself what you'd do and try to counter that. Drop a little deeper, player a little less hastily, maybe go more direct? You know your team, you know how your game went, so it's possible to win.

I always thought the 'none' team talk at half time meant you didn't even think their performance was worthy of making an appearance, and they could sort it out themselves.

If I was a player and we were 2-0 at the half, I reckon I'd be pretty annoyed if the manager didn't have anything to say.

I always thought the 'none' team talk at half time meant you didn't even think their performance was worthy of making an appearance, and they could sort it out themselves.

If I was a player and we were 2-0 at the half, I reckon I'd be pretty annoyed if the manager didn't have anything to say.

Have to agree it seems counter-intuitive to ignore your players in order to tell them you're happy and just want them to carry on doing exactly what they are doing, given what we have been told about what it is supposed to "mean" in the game.

In this situation I usually give "pleased" if away from home and "encourage" or "don't get complacent" (risky one that!) if at home, and it tends to work pretty well. I will often give "disappointed" if only 1-0 up at home and I regularly find it spurs them on to get even more. Again, seems a bit counter-intuitive but works for me!

Just had a ripper. Up 3-1 going into the home leg of my playoff semi. Gave the 'none' team talk before the game, came into HT 2-0 up and 5-1 up on aggregate.

Gave a 'pleased' team talk and individually encouraged a few guys playing well. About to go to penalties now as they scored five goals in the second half, all from just ridiculous defensive errors and positioning. I was actually laughing by the end of it, it was so contrived.

I've always seen 'None' as being a reinforcement of the tactics you're playing/intend to play rather than giving a motivating team talk. It's not that you're ignoring your players, it's just that you have nothing specific to add in terms of motivating.

I'd rather them angry than "didn't seem to be listening..." and besides, you're sending them back onto the pitch with fire in their bellies, as opposed to totally insouciant.

Is this true? I wouldn't have thought the game was that sophisticated. Perhaps I'm underestimating it though.

I could of sworn I'd seen somewhere like in the hints and tips that use to come up when processing that no team talk should be used when your players had put in a particularly bad performance to let them reflect on thir performance

I wouldn't say it's necessarily down to tactics, in fact the tactics got you 2-0 up! the halftime team talk is very important here, choose "don't get complacent/don't expect performance to dropp/don't get careless". Also, regularly check out what your ass manager has to say on opposition instructions.

Just had a ripper. Up 3-1 going into the home leg of my playoff semi. Gave the 'none' team talk before the game, came into HT 2-0 up and 5-1 up on aggregate.

Gave a 'pleased' team talk and individually encouraged a few guys playing well. About to go to penalties now as they scored five goals in the second half, all from just ridiculous defensive errors and positioning. I was actually laughing by the end of it, it was so contrived.

a bit exessive that.. how did it end?

other than 2010, the last FM that I bought was 08 and I remember in that one I used to have a hard time holding 2-0 leads at HT. I don't think it's a bug, it's just down to the quality of my sides that had problems holding the lead and my tactics.

At one point I was managing a pretty weak PSG side that I was trying to get back to greatness and in my first 2 seasons I struggled a lot with dropping points in matches that I should have won (2-0's being the most profound). I just kept strengthening my defense and midfield in the transfer windows and eventually I got it right. A lot of it has to do with the mentality of your players as well. Generally when you pick up higher quality player, they tend to be more capable of staying mentally tough and focused.

I grew as a manager as well. I eventually figured out what I needed to do to make it happen.

Is this true? I wouldn't have thought the game was that sophisticated. Perhaps I'm underestimating it though.

yes, it's true. It was SFraser who showed that it gets them motivated for the 2nd half. Basically during a match you want your players motivated, not happy. After the match you try to keep/make them happy.

There's three basic options for the 2-0 half-time team talk.

1: Pleased: If the other team is better than you and you really weren't expecting to be 2-0 up

2: Nothing: If your team is better than the opposition and 2-0 is what you'd have expected at the start.

3: Don't let your performance drop: If you are the better team but been totally outplayed and scored both goals against the run of play.

Context is everything.

Archived