Not sure my youth team needed that many strikers

I'm slightly confused looking at my youth team.

I mean, sure there's a whole two players in it worth my time, however I'd expect a nice number of players for each position. Now it may just be me, but this is just slightly unbalenced.

Let's break it down into positons in the form x (y) where x is natural position and (y) is can play in that position:

Total:

GKs: 2

DLs: 3

DRs: 2

DCs: 2 (5)

MCs: 2

ML/AMLs: 1

MR/AMRs: 0 (1)

STs: 7

So there's a whole NO RIGHT SIDED ATTACKING PLAYERS, at least none that that is their natural position. But hey, I guess Wassall (the youth team manager) can always just move one of my 2 central midfielders out wide!

But no... I'm sure 7 strikers is needed when we can't even field a team where every player is in their natural position!

So I decided to see how he did manage to field the side. Surely all these strikers must be capable of something, maybe he'll play some of them out wide...

Nope! He's been playing a leftback as a right midfielder! Actually, he's been moving that left midfielder of mine to the right at points and moving the leftback into the left midfield spot too... Just to shake things up!

So I get to thinking that at the very least these must be some good strikers. I don't need to dip into my budget for new strikers for a while (and not just because I have 4 top notch strikers and a 5th on his way to being a top notch striker!).

Well, after speaking with my assistant about them, I now know that in the side there are two players who will be Premier League standard if they don't crash and burn. One is a rightback, the other is a striker (who looks rather impressive to be honest) who is touted as the "next Michael Owen". Not sure I need another Owen though, he's a rather average coach in truth and he wasn't exactly my best striker when he was playing.

Of the 7 strikers a whole 2 have the potential to be "good championship strikers"...

Oh well!

This happens a lot to me too. I often clear out my squads at the end of every season, so im left with barebones until the regens come through. I guess the randomness of the regens means i dont get a well distributed amount of players for each position.

Youth teams tend to get a bit unbalanced IRL too, it's part of the reason why all the big clubs buy in foreign talent every year (at 16 years old), you will often see players being released/sold cheaply when they are quite good (Champinoship level at 20 say) by the likes of Man Utd, simply because as a right back the player is 6th or 7th in the pecking order, and will have trouble getting on the bench fof the reserves. So in order to remove a player who is costing £1,500 (or more) and who is steadily getting unhappier and worse, they move him on.

yea this is wrong. real teams promote their youth players based on position. not 7 strikers and no right mids

man utd still have the other positions filled, and they are a massive club so of course its likely that theyll have more players than they need. in EVERY position though!

Archived