This can't be right - defending free kicks

Look at this. It's a free kick I conceded and it's insane. It's not even like it's my tactics - 'defending free kicks' instructions are left on default, which put six of my players on man marking (including Otamendi, who just seems to be standing behind the wall, although it's number16 who is meant to be marking him and just stands outside the area) and two on 'back', with the rest in the wall.

wtf1r.pngwtf2k.pngwtf3.png

Rooney (n10) just passes straight to Vucinic, who knocks it in. My tactics aren't at fault and it's not because my players are awful (n16 has 12 in marking which isn't great but either he should do better or someone else, like Otamendi, should pick him up). So what gives? How do I get my players to do this set-piece?

Not your fault it's just that Otamendi is either bad at marking or stupid in the game (your other palyers are actually marking well), this kind of thing happens in real life the whole time, players switch off at set pieces and lose (or never pick up) their man. Probably the only thing to solve this would be set-piece routines as a part of the training set up

Not your fault it's just that Otamendi is either bad at marking or stupid in the game (your other palyers are actually marking well), this kind of thing happens in real life the whole time, players switch off at set pieces and lose (or never pick up) their man. Probably the only thing to solve this would be set-piece routines as a part of the training set up

Number 16 was on him originally but just drifted away. With a marking of 12 and concentration of 13, though, you'd imagine him to stay with his man. It's not amazing but it's above average and implies he is okay at marking. I wouldn't have minded if he'd lost out on a tackle or had been given the slip but he was nowhere near Vucinic!

the lino should have flagged for offside lol he is clearly behind the last defender.

Not when the ball was kicked.

Well, anyway, I did win in the end so I'm less annoyed about this than before, but still. It does seem broken rather than the fault of a bad player.

Actually, initially the only players marking properly are #6, marking 7, #18 on 13 (who promptly leaves a good position) and if #17 is marking 15, then he's in a good spot. All of the others are too much in front of their respective players. A through ball could easily get to them.

This can't be right - defending free kicks

Well it is according to SI. They programmed the game.

They don't program everything perfectly. There are too many long shot goals, for instance. SI have said they will be changing this, therefore they didn't mean to program it. Possibly the same as this, although it might just be crappy marking.

Tyoldinho: Hopefully I'll get one soon then : -/

All set pieces are a joke. The amount of goals I concede from corners/free kicks is totally unrealistic. Even World Class defenders find it hard to man mark and do simple things. I know teams score these in real life but nowhere near to the extent as on FM.

Here's a great example of the sort of marking that goes on.

As easy as one...

Two...

Three...

As you can see, I concede a FK just outside the area on the right wing. Two attacking players stand over the ball without a defensive wall or even defensive player near. So one passes to the other, who runs in, crosses, and the striker, who is surrounded by three defenders, moves out to control the ball and fires home. None of the three defenders around him have even moved.

It's just shambolic.

Archived