My terrible season with swansea

Let me begin with a bit of background. i play FM07 and after i was done winning a lot with liverpool, i took over swansea and had a go at managing a smaller club. It went well (this was ages ago, dont remember it exactly), i made playoffs in my first season in league 1 and narrowly missed out. Made the playoffs again next season and promoted to the Championship.

With incredible luck i managed to get to the playoff spots again and i managed to get into premiership right away! my first season in the big league, i finished a very creditable 12th. i repeated that feat in the following season. My third season in the big time, i finished at an all time high position of 7th and qualified for the inter-toto cup.

Now my troubles begin.

In all these seasons ive played the same formation, home or away regardless of the opposition. ive pulled off some major upsets and lost many i shouldnt have.

right, getting back.

my problem is that my season started with manU, chelsea, liverpool and arsenal in among the early matches. needless to say i lost to the first two, beat liverpool and managed a draw against arsenal. with a few defeats and draws in between, my team is hovering around 15th in the premiership.

BUT.. ive had loads of disciplinary problems. Im in december, i already have 6 red cards, my midfielder lucas has been banned for 6 games, he faces one more mathc if he gets another yellow, which im sure he will.

2 of my most influential players have lost their confidence in me and the cards keep coming.

what can i do to stop it? should i fine the players? ive never done that, the worst ive done is an official warning.

Can someone help me out here?

wilco. icon_wink.gif

guess ive been too soft on them. im sort of tempted to go back to an earlier save and start again... icon_wink.gif

btw, how effective is it to call a team meeting, i asked the team captain to call a meeting to discuss the poor performances and try and sort it out, didnt work very well i dont think so. he thinks more negative stuff came out of it than good...

I used to have discipline problems, not as bad as the TC, but bad enough. I instituted a new policy: 1 week fine for any red card, 2 week fine for violent behavior, 1 week fine for a 5 rating, 2 week fine for a 4 rating.

Players sometimes complain, but I have the fewest bookings in the league now. My current game is now in early February and I have had no red cards this season. I just handed out the first fine of the season after the last game for a low rating. My players know what is expected of them and act accordingly.

thats as pretty hard line. im going to try it. normally i do fine players for bad conduct, i just didnt this season and im paying the price.

ive now got 2 savegames. one with the season at this state, with nothing going right. another with a previous savegame from the earlier season. icon_wink.gif

let me ask, is there any way to recover from this? i played on, and i either keep losing or drawing games. the last straw was when i lost the game against a fellow struggler because my keeper claimed the ball from a corner and then went on to roll it out to the nearest opposition player, so that he could score the only goal of the game.

that was too much. my strikers keep missing sitters as well.

anyone else go through this? ive been playing for a while, but this is the first time ive come across this...what can i do?

Out of curiosity, have you made any changes to your tacitcs in terms of tackling? Setting tackling to "Hard" makes a big difference, at least from what I've experienced anyway.

The most I set to is normal, and that's for defenders. After doing this, I've seen a big change in discipline, and I have about 1 red card a season, 2 at most.

Also, are you on the latest patch? I remember in 8.0.1 there was a problem with players receiving to many yellow cards.

im playing FM07 and with the starting version. im not on my usual pc right now, so i dont have the patch. plus i dont have my usual saves, so im playing this one.

well, when i was getting all those red cards, i changed the tackling to easy. its worked, i dont get red cards anymore, but ive yet to win since doing that.

grrrr.. just when i thought the worst was over, i go on a 5 game losing streak. it did include away games against manU and liverpool, but i lost the anfield game and that was the last straw.

my midfielder, lucas, chases a loose ball in my own penalty box, then, inexplicably he decides to stop and run in another direction. this lets kuyt get the ball and score...

the last straw for me. im going out and taking a break. this is too much for one afternoon. icon_smile.gif

im not going back to another game, cos ive done really well as russia's national coach and im looking forward to playing in euro2012. icon_wink.gif

For me its 1 week, as they mostly accept that. I had a problem on 05 at some Serie C2 team where I resigned after only a few games after my players seemed to be seeing how many consecutive games they could sent off. Can't remember the details but it can't have been more than 6 or 7 games and I think the red card tally was pretty much the same if not a little higher. since then I've always had tackling on 'easy' as opposed to 'normal' and most seasons I usually only have 1 or 2.

I tend to simply fine players 2 weeks wages on the spot for just about everything and it's only ever backfired once - which was solved by playing him regularly.

Alternatively, try and get an assistant manager whose level of discipline is higher.

im happy now. Werder Bremen came in and solved my problems. im their new manager. icon_smile.gif nice bunch of players too, dos santos, diego, kerzhakov (who is the star of my russia side too) among others and a bunch of nice regens too. icon_smile.gif

and all i have to do this season is to stay clear of relegation. icon_biggrin.gif

i took the offer once, spent close to an hour fixing up the training schedules and tactics etc etc, then the game crashes. some sort of serious error, i was at my wits end. i loaded up an earlier save and i got the werder bremen job again, now ive saved it. icon_smile.gif

btw, ive never managed in germany before. it seems ive got 2 assistant managers. is that a problem? id fire one if i have to.

also, do you guys specify training schedules for the kids too? i generally have the kids training 'general'.

Archived