Fixing Stupid Defence Issues

Hi everyone.. I don't want to turn this into a success story for myself, but I would like to inform you that it's possible fixing stupid defence issues.

I conceded lots of goals previously, lots of them from out of the box, from weird passes, from mistakes and closing down/marking errors. I also read lots of threads in this forum about defence issues and ME errors. Then, after thinking real life wise, and reading a lot about modern tactics (both from forums and books), I understood the mechanics of defence better and the effect of midfield players on defence. I still concede goals, quite rarely ;) but those are acceptable, and doesn't look like ME errors.

Have fun..

I suspect that a lot of these defensive problems are actually down to people who play an overly attacking midfield and leave opposition players with plenty of time to get a good shot in.

I have managed six clubs in five different countries so far, and I don't think I've ever conceded more than three long shots in a season. This is despite playing "adventurous" football.

Long shots is basically the ME telling you players are having too much space in front of the box.

Chances are that is caused by too big a gap between your midfield and defense.

I used to concede quite a bit, until I bought some better (mainly faster) defenders, played a ball winning midfielder, pushed the line UP (yes, UP, to reduce the gap), play offisde and close down more.

Long shots is basically the ME telling you players are having too much space in front of the box.

Chances are that is caused by too big a gap between your midfield and defense.

I used to concede quite a bit, until I bought some better (mainly faster) defenders, played a ball winning midfielder, pushed the line UP (yes, UP, to reduce the gap), play offisde and close down more.

This may be why I have never experienced the long shot bug. I always play with more closing down, and either two DMCs or three CMs forcing the opposition out onto the flanks instead.

I haven't conceded many long shots goals myself, however I think the issue with defenders "forgetting" to defend has little to do with defective user-defined tactic, and lots with flawed ME.

When I set my whole defensive line on "defensive" and I play it deep, I shouldn't concede a 2-on-2 breakaway because my fullbacks somehow neglected to keep an eye on their opponent.

So I refuse to read through several Tactical Essays to "fix" something that any Sunday League defender knows how to do...

It's like having to endlessly tinker with sliders in order to get your striker to shoot on goal...

This may be why I have never experienced the long shot bug. I always play with more closing down, and either two DMCs or three CMs forcing the opposition out onto the flanks instead.

It helps significantly, you'll still get the odd miracle goal, but then look at Fletcher's gem against Everton and think how often he score those.

Can't say long shot ranks high on my issue list.

I haven't conceded many long shots goals myself, however I think the issue with defenders "forgetting" to defend has little to do with defective user-defined tactic, and lots with flawed ME.

When I set my whole defensive line on "defensive" and I play it deep, I shouldn't concede a 2-on-2 breakaway because my fullbacks somehow neglected to keep an eye on their opponent.

So I refuse to read through several Tactical Essays to "fix" something that any Sunday League defender knows how to do...

It's like having to endlessly tinker with sliders in order to get your striker to shoot on goal...

How good is your fullback tho? If he's low on concentrate/anticipation, these things happen?

I'm not sure defending is perfect, but it's certainly not game-breakingly flawed.

Archived