anouncing new player to media you get

I find it hard to even make sensible safe comments it always ends up you upset the new player. I have always noticed also a bad trait from previous versions why always New Signings have very bad morale this is crazy some would be just relieved to be in club they will play.

Thing is this anounce new player to media aint really that acurate either. I dont think you see managers talk in length of new signings. Its usually quick reveal photoshoot in his new kit & Player talks to the press about how he delighted his aim and ambition why he signed etc.

In future can we use this to get feel for the new signings mental state he may say he wanted to get fit as he had a bad injury and likely show he can play at a higher leve againl. Just an idea.

But certainly you dont see managers talk in length. Just quick reference.

Unless it's a really big signing or very promising youngster who needs the morale boost, I tend not to bother calling a press conference. That way I can praise them to high heaven. The answers are usually fairly obvious, even middle of the road questions.

Injury prone? "No, I think the worst Michael Owen's problems are behind him."

Bit old at 34? "No, I think there's no substitute for van Nistelrooy's experience.

Change the way you play? "Nah, van der Vaart will fit into our current system, no problem."

And here's where it gets interesting - all of the above are lies.

I haven't signed Owen, but he'd be a good short-term measure for a newly promoted team or anyone who could keep Hull or Stoke up, possibly even for a Fulham-status club. I signed van Nistelrooy for Newcastle when I got back to the Prem, and he was largely disappointing, but he's a corking cup-player. Van der Vaart was still at Real Madrid and still transfer listed, so I got him, and changed the formation a little so he can slot in behind the striker that isn't van Nistelrooy.

Basically, say the thing the player wants to hear then do whatever's right for the team.

thanks fellas will try that as I have just refused to do press conference it after I just kept upsetting him.

Infact I am puzzled why it asking me as my assistant does media as I seem to always screw it up so got him to do it. Heck even he makes bad comments just lately we are losing and fourth from bottom I am sure he lost his marbles. Pressure getting to him too.

Make it short and sweet sounds a very good idea.

Still would be nice for the media to hound him than me.

Its nice they worked on the media side but it seems just at the manager yet we often hear players make comments in the press. Maybe it will evolve into this where players make media statements. At moment only happens when they moan to press of unfair treatment.

Unless it's a really big signing or very promising youngster who needs the morale boost, I tend not to bother calling a press conference. That way I can praise them to high heaven. The answers are usually fairly obvious, even middle of the road questions.

Injury prone? "No, I think the worst Michael Owen's problems are behind him."

Bit old at 34? "No, I think there's no substitute for van Nistelrooy's experience.

Change the way you play? "Nah, van der Vaart will fit into our current system, no problem."

And here's where it gets interesting - all of the above are lies.

I haven't signed Owen, but he'd be a good short-term measure for a newly promoted team or anyone who could keep Hull or Stoke up, possibly even for a Fulham-status club. I signed van Nistelrooy for Newcastle when I got back to the Prem, and he was largely disappointing, but he's a corking cup-player. Van der Vaart was still at Real Madrid and still transfer listed, so I got him, and changed the formation a little so he can slot in behind the striker that isn't van Nistelrooy.

Basically, say the thing the player wants to hear then do whatever's right for the team.

another good point lie. Some food for thought here thanks everyone

I usually come out of it quite well.

Praise the player and talk him up, but don't go for the over-the-top options. I usually say I will look at how I can change the way we play for the better, I praise him and tell them he can help take us to the next level, that their arrival will be a boost for the whole team, etc.

Basically I always choose the second option, so that I'm not putting too much pressure on him, but also still saying he is good, and not critical of him at all.

Now and again they get upset, but more often than not they are happy.

I only call press conferences for big name signings too, never for youth players/backup players.

Archived