Farcical asking prices after a couple of seasons

It seems to me that the longer the game goes, the more ridiculously expensive players become.

For example, I wanted to buy Andreas Beck from AC Milan (he moved there from Hoffenheim), and they asked for 116M :eek:

I know Beck is good, but he isn't that good.

This is at the end of the 3rd season by the way, and I'm an English club.

Does anyone else find this to be the case?

Not sure, unless you're filthy rich. I'm certain they'd accept an offer of less than that though with the right amount of negotiations. Generally speaking, an asking price that high is a signal of intent not to let the player go unless you're prepared to pay through the nose.

Sure, it could do with toning down a little in FM, but even in real life it isn't about simply comparing player X and player Y.

They don't want to sell Beck, but will do so for ridiculous money. The price is down to how much value the club attributes to that player.

Aguero may go to Chelski for £40-50million in Jan or next summer.

David Villa's price tag was around £70-80million in the summer just gone, but no one would stump up the cash.

But Adebayor went to Man City for (sorry, can't remember exactly) around £18-20million.

Okay, Aguero is younger, but all three tend to score, on average, a similar number of goals when not injured, yet Adebayor's alleged bad attitude also lowered his value. But in addition to Adebayor WANTING to leave, Arsenal had backup in the form of Robin van Persie and Bendtnar (and others who CAN play that position) and another target in mind in Chamankh (sp?), so Adebayor is worth a lot less to Arsenal than the other players to their respective clubs.

In terms of ability, they are probably fairly similar (Villa probably the best of them) but it's more than just ability and market value determining how much a club will pay for them.

Further examples would be Jolean Lescott to Man City (£22million?) vs Vermahlan to Arsenal (less than £10million) while Liverpool were willing to pay £8million for Jermain Pennant four years ago because they really, really wanted a right-winger but Birmingham really, really wanted to keep him.

You tone down some transfers now, you upset other gamers because it then becomes too EASY to sign players. There's no clear formula for calculating player transfers, and to expect a computer game to do so is just fantasy. So while I agree the example you quoted is silly, there's logic to it. Just move on to another target. There's always a bargain to be had somewhere.

I agree with backpackant's point. But I don't think it needs toning down at all. I do the same thing with players I don't want to sell. Recently I sold Sagna for £19m when he's worth £8m, and that was cos he wanted a new challenge, and I replaced him with the more versatile Johnny Heitinga for £11.5m who was worth £7.5m, and I wouldn't say there's a gulf in class there...

I Too think some of the prices are stupid. I got Robben still in his prime for 15mill, but can i get hulk from porto, not unless i fork out 70 mill. Now dont get me wrong hulk is a great player, but, he is not exactly settin the world alight in my game, and is only worth 6 mill. At least if his value was 30 payin 70 would be a bit more acceptable but to say hes value is 6 mill is a bit silly. Aguero is avalible for 60(min fee) villa for 28mill. Now everyone will say "porto might not want to sell/ dont need money but i started a game as porto and long story short my board accepted a 10mill offer for him from villa. Now in 4 seasons won league once, champ league once some minor cups as spurs. Now my point is this (if your still with me) If i bid say 40 for him and porto dont accept surley he would want to speak to the team that just won champ league but he dosnt say a word. Everton bid 5 for o hara i said no they come back with 6, my board accepted. i had 50 mill to spend and 78 in balance. so didnt need the money yet porto board wont intervene at 40 or 50mill. Now i know inflation and other thing acount for bid acceptance but 70 million for a player who hasnt been out of the groupe stages of champ league in 4 seasons is a bit much no? Also this would not only break potugals record signing for a player it would pretty much be the biggest fees in the world. I got Adriano, Rossi, AND Lavizzi for 45mil combined!!!!! I mean com on....

I Too think some of the prices are stupid. I got Robben still in his prime for 15mill, but can i get hulk from porto, not unless i fork out 70 mill. Now dont get me wrong hulk is a great player, but, he is not exactly settin the world alight in my game, and is only worth 6 mill. At least if his value was 30 payin 70 would be a bit more acceptable but to say hes value is 6 mill is a bit silly. Aguero is avalible for 60(min fee) villa for 28mill. Now everyone will say "porto might not want to sell/ dont need money but i started a game as porto and long story short my board accepted a 10mill offer for him from villa. Now in 4 seasons won league once, champ league once some minor cups as spurs. Now my point is this (if your still with me) If i bid say 40 for him and porto dont accept surley he would want to speak to the team that just won champ league but he dosnt say a word. Everton bid 5 for o hara i said no they come back with 6, my board accepted. i had 50 mill to spend and 78 in balance. so didnt need the money yet porto board wont intervene at 40 or 50mill. Now i know inflation and other thing acount for bid acceptance but 70 million for a player who hasnt been out of the groupe stages of champ league in 4 seasons is a bit much no? Also this would not only break potugals record signing for a player it would pretty much be the biggest fees in the world. I got Adriano, Rossi, AND Lavizzi for 45mil combined!!!!! I mean com on....

Porto may not have the same board now as you had for one.

Also, if he's not setting the world alight why are you so bothered about signing him?

Agree with posters above me, if they dont want to let the player go, then they are going to quote you a rediculous price.

I'm trying to buy Kieran Gibbs for my Notts Co save, but Arsenal wanted 40million - no way im paying that much.

It's a good feature in my opinion, if a club values a player they have, then you are going to have to fork out a lot of cash to buy them.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, Aguero is younger, but all three tend to score, on average, a similar number of goals when not injured, yet Adebayor's alleged bad attitude also lowered his value. But in addition to Adebayor WANTING to leave, Arsenal had backup in the form of Robin van Persie and Bendtnar (and others who CAN play that position) and another target in mind in Chamankh (sp?), so Adebayor is worth a lot less to Arsenal than the other players to their respective clubs.

Was the Portuguese league selected as playable when they wanted 70 mil?

I Too think some of the prices are stupid. I got Robben still in his prime for 15mill, but can i get hulk from porto, not unless i fork out 70 mill.

People pay high prices because they don't bother to unsettle players before they bid for them.

Hulk is Porto's best player.

When has a club sold one of its best players despite their being happy to stay? They don't do it unless its for a great price.

But when a player wants a move, the club always gives in.

I guarantee that if you praised/declare interest in Hulk, so that he got unhappy and demanded a move, you'd get him for far less than the price you were quoted.

I find that Brazilian teams ask way too much for their players. IRL, some of best players in the world have moved from Brazil into Europe for £17m tops, quite often much lower - yet you often have to pay £30m to get them to part with a player.

Or expensive, depending on your viewpoint (mine being from the Paxton and watching his delightful passing. Sideways.)

Jeanarse couldnt see a forward pass if it smacked him in the head a dozen times.

Maybe £3.50 was abit over the top. 35p would be better. I would happily drive him to any club wanting him.

So I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask a fortune for a player or simply refuse to sell him because he fits your system perfectly, for the time being. Case in point, I have two aging strikers for my Kansas City Wizards in MLS. They are Josh Wolff and Henri Camara. Each is valued around $1.5 million. I would not take less than $10 million for either of them because they work PERFECT together. Last season, they scored 37 goals between them. This season, we are just under halfway through and they have 26 goals thus far. To break them up would upset the tempo of my American juggernaut. I will have to replace them in a year or two, but the ride is too fun to let them go right now. Perhaps the cpu is using similar logic...

I dont think its too unrealistic in fairness. The problem is that human users always want a teams top players - Id find it hard to be surprised at them wanting to keep hold on him.

But on the other hand the ai offers only what the current value is and never goes much over that. They just endlessly offer incredulous amounts for your top player.

If they wont offer top value for the best players, the humans shouldnt be forced to. The transfer market is always stupidly one sided. You could probably buy a player for £10m then not be able to give him away for free.

asking prices in fm are way too high. i'm not going to talk about one or two examples. just use genie scout and load any saved game. all players from the top sides have ridiculous asking prices. in reality only a few top players should have asking prices above 30 mill. in fm, all the players at the top sides cost a fortune. most big clubs would've jumped at offers for 20 mill for their rotation players, and 40-50 mill for their top players.

please, before you answer just load a save on genie scout and ask yourself if the sale values are realistic.

• 1 year later...

Some here are totally missing the point (and the sense of reality).

I know Hulk is Porto's best player and they want to hold onto him, so they'd ask for a king's ransom... BUT... that's just Haggling 101 for you!

Palermo's chairman said several times "Pastore is worth €50M and he's not leaving", but it's pretty obvious he'll leave and I'll eat my hat if he'll go for such a stupid amount of money... It's a way to say "no time-wasters, serious bidders only".

FM instead doesn't seem to understand such notion, much less the notion of "most non-top clubs will accept an offer equal or bigger to their annual transfer budget no matter how important the player is...."

Values in FM are totally messed up... Why is Joe Average valued 5M if in truth his club won't sell him for less than 20M, that being a totally unrealistic and unjustified request?

Why is "generic Top Club player" valued 10M but they will ask for 9-digits figure fees despite him NOT being called Messi or C.Ronaldo?

Just try to buy Clichy from Arsenal and see how much they ask... and then compare it with what Man City paid him this summer.

Some here are totally missing the point (and the sense of reality).

I know Hulk is Porto's best player and they want to hold onto him, so they'd ask for a king's ransom... BUT... that's just Haggling 101 for you!

Palermo's chairman said several times "Pastore is worth €50M and he's not leaving", but it's pretty obvious he'll leave and I'll eat my hat if he'll go for such a stupid amount of money... It's a way to say "no time-wasters, serious bidders only".

FM instead doesn't seem to understand such notion, much less the notion of "most non-top clubs will accept an offer equal or bigger to their annual transfer budget no matter how important the player is...."

Values in FM are totally messed up... Why is Joe Average valued 5M if in truth his club won't sell him for less than 20M, that being a totally unrealistic and unjustified request?

Why is "generic Top Club player" valued 10M but they will ask for 9-digits figure fees despite him NOT being called Messi or C.Ronaldo?

Just try to buy Clichy from Arsenal and see how much they ask... and then compare it with what Man City paid him this summer.

Urm check the dates, the thread is way over a year old ;)

I just remembered an incident I had.

I enquired about Toni Kroos in 2014 and he was worth about £15million and they wanted £144million.. He's a great player but no way is he a legend.

got him for around 18 Mio in 2016 for Dortmund :)

Archived