Why is every penalty controversial in this game?

I'm not saying every penalty. Do the words 'generally' and 'rarely' sound like definitives to you? ;)

The vast majority of penalties ARE controversial - to someone. As I've already said, while many will be debated on-field, others could be off the field.

Another cause for controversy is inconsistency - Even if a penalty is clear-cut, it may be seen as controversial if a similar offence had gone without punishment, or without a penalty being awarded. Another cause of controversy could be that the fans or the players may see a player as looking for a penalty, regardless of if it is one or not. Particularly if towards the end of a game, or if it decides a game, regardless of whether or not it should have been a penalty, there will always be some controversy.

Obviously not all penalties are controversial or hotly debated, but never underestimate the ability of fans to be biased, to see their team through tinted glasses, or to be generally unintelligent and argumentative, regardless of the facts. ;)

Yes, I agree with you about the fans, but that is not the issue in the game. Its the players and the managers reacting causing the controversy. The game seems to think that you as a manager always have an issue with a penalty given against or for you. And that there is always a player who has to protest. Its just not right.

Yes, I agree with you about the fans, but that is not the issue in the game. Its the players and the managers reacting causing the controversy. The game seems to think that you as a manager always have an issue with a penalty given against or for you. And that there is always a player who has to protest. Its just not right.

Whenever there is a penalty in ANY game, it's always one of the main talking points. The media like nothing more than to speculate, so it's your job to put the record straight!

Edit: It was not my intention to make the above statement rhyme. :D

Players protesting during a game and managers crying to the media are two completely different things... Players will always protest but you rarely see managers complaining about penalties after the game (except for those who always do, no matter how controversial it has been :D). It's even less common among players to do that. But that's what they do all the time in FM.

It's all to do with the media. They're looking for controversy and will almost always ask you about penalties. It's up to you to comment, or rather not to, about whether it's controversial or not. If you say it is, expect the media to keep mentioning it, and expect your comments to have a knock-on effect on your players..

most penalties are protested, be it by the fans, the defending team or the guy who actually gave it away. i think fm is pretty close to reality with that

what doesn't happen enough imo are penalties that shouldn't have been given - it's rare to have a penalty in fm which the commentary admits was harsh or the result of a dive, yet these are pretty common in real life, and are the ones that go beyond the players protesting and cause questions to be asked in the media

It's like every single time someone scores on FM, the opposing team protests offside, even when it quite blatantly isn't.

I'd like the commentary to sometimes say "He hangs his head in shame, that was a rash challenge and he knows it" or "his team mates look devastated" or something along those lines, just to mix it up.

• Administrators

I agree some areas of the commentary could do with an overhaul, but as people have said in this thread, many penalties are debated and considered controversial IRL - it's something we're certainly looking into. Thanks.

Archived