One shot one goal

This has been going on for years in FM. The opposition score from just one or two chances. You need to create more to score. It's rare to actually have games the opposite way around.

Now I love this game but why is that? Does anyone consistently create few chances and score from a large percentage the way the AI does?

Before anyone says it's the tactics it's not. I change tactics every season (it's just the way I like to change things to keep them interesting, plus I like tweaking), and the same thing happens in every version of the game. I am still successful, the game is still great, but the opposition CF's seem to score a higher percentage of their chances (but only in games against you).

Believe it or not, its actually just selective memory. I did a report on this back for FM08, and it turned out that my strikers had a higher goals to shot ratio that most of the other strikers. All strikers above me, were within a percent or two. Its just that, you remember the games you lose 1-0 to 1 shot after dominating, more than you remember the games you win 3-0 have 8 shots and the oppo has 6. Trust me. Go back over all of your last fixtures for the season, and you'll notice its not actually an issue at all. :D

Believe it or not, its actually just selective memory. I did a report on this back for FM08, and it turned out that my strikers had a higher goals to shot ratio that most of the other strikers. All strikers above me, were within a percent or two. Its just that, you remember the games you lose 1-0 to 1 shot after dominating, more than you remember the games you win 3-0 have 8 shots and the oppo has 6. Trust me. Go back over all of your last fixtures for the season, and you'll notice its not actually an issue at all. :D

It will be interesting to check that out over the weekend.

This has been going on for years in FM.

So has the complaining about it.

Yet so many people (myself included) frequently benefit from this, inlcuding just last night - I scored in the first 5 mins, got a player sent off on about 20mins, 2-1 down at half time. I get two chances in the second half after going very defensive then attacking for five mins at a time, scoring twice, including once in extra time to win 3-2.

It's nearly always down to the human user's tactics, possible exceptions being FM06 where composure of strikers was an issue (the so-called "super-keeper" bug), and FM08 where the problem was more down to the fact that there were so MANY chances rather than how few chances got scored (40 shots on goal, 2 goals scored is a silly ratio, but the "goals scored" is accurate while the "no. of shots" was the real problem).

I know there are problems with the ME, so please don't think I'm cheerleading its perfection, but shots-to-goals ratio is not one of those problems.

Archived