FM 2008 is g****

And by g****, I mean great!

I am sick to death of people bashing FM for various reasons and this is just a rebuttal, I'm pretty sure this will be closed soon, so I apologise to Ter and the others in advance!

I just cannot understand the level of complaining that people have about this version! Yes, there are bugs, yes there are areas that could be improved, but I love it all the same.

I love the intricacies. I love the fact that if you make the effort in the game, it rewards you most times, dumps you on your arse the others.

There are legions of IRL stories about teams that were 'too good to go down' but did. This is the same as FM, people trying everything and being unable to halt a slide. Great! Not having a single tactic for every game? Great! It makes you think. For years, we picked one tactic and won everything in sight, now you have to watch the opposition and react!

I've just got Wolfsburg to second place in the Bundesliga, 13 points behind Bayern and it feels like a win to me. THAT is the feeling that FM gives me, I'm so proud of this achievement because of all the hard work I put in with my own tactics, set-ups and transfers.

Next season, I'll probably finish 10th, so I need to work on how I'm going to keep my team at that level. Not just coast through, like I did on previous incarnations.

In short, this incarnation is better than 07, as 07 was better than 06 and so on. Well done SI! KUTGW icon14.gif

People take faults, problems, inconveniences and bugs incredibly personally these days. One reason I got out of retail was because of customers.

Should we bring up faults? Yes.

Should we berate SI over and over for the same minor issues? I don't think there's any point.

unexpected.

OT: how long did it take you to get Wob there?

they have a few decent player and quite a bit of money because of VW but the squad also has lots of dead wood and average players so it takes some time to rebuild. finished season 2 with them on place 7 getting into the Euro Vase though icon_biggrin.gif

i think the reason why there are so many complaints this year is because there were so many migrators from the inferior management games, which also explains why there are so many "when is the next patch out" & "when is fm09 out" questions. seasoned FMers would know the answers.

loads of the new players didn't really know what to expect, so they expected fm08 to be the best management game ever, and in comparison to the other management games in 2007 it is tbh.

there is so much more in fm08 to fm07, 50%-60% of features/improvements are worthwhile, the rest has potential. but to see so many people describe this game as unplayable is a joke.

You made me try thinking of a 5 letter swearword beginning with G, I don't think one exists. icon_frown.gif

There's issues with FM2008 but SI already know about them now, they've had a year. No point moaning as they'll be working on FM2009 now.

I have to agree FM08 is awesome and in my opinion it is the best one out of all of them. Every game has a few faults but FM08 doesn't have any faults that make it unplayable of any less enjoyable than I expected.

I have never had a better feeling from playing a computer game than watching Zarate score a 118 minute winner for my QPR side in the FA cup final.

Originally posted by Stevenage Gunner:

FM08 is the worst one of them all. FM07 was the best one as you actually felt like you were in charge of the result!

If you don't mind, I would rather there be no criticism of FM in this thread, there are plenty of other threads to post in if you are dissatisfied.

And I disagree whole-heartedly with your statement

Originally posted by Stevenage Gunner:

FM08 is the worst one of them all. FM07 was the best one as you actually felt like you were in charge of the result!

How many managers in real life are "in charge of the result"? What a daft statement. Or are you one of the conspiracy theorists who think the result is pre-determined before the game?

And yes you are allowed opinions, but they should be sensible ones if you don't want to get people jumping on them.

As for other general comments, the game isn't perfect but it's more than playable. People who are satisfied with it don't complain. People who are not DO complain. Considering how many copies are sold compared with the number of complaints, I'd say the vast majority of customers are happy with it.

Don't see how you can't understand people complaining when you admit yourself there are bugs and areas for improvement.

If people didn't complain the game wouldn't develop as much each year. SI probably get more useful information from people highlighting flaws in the game and suggesting improvements than people patting them on the back and saying 'best game ever'.

Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Don't see how you can't understand people complaining when you admit yourself there are bugs and areas for improvement.

If people didn't complain the game wouldn't develop as much each year. SI probably get more useful information from people highlighting flaws in the game and suggesting improvements than people patting them on the back and saying 'best game ever'.

I don't agree with the 'this is the worst game ever, I can't win, you're all cheating threads'

I have no problems with things being pointed out in a constructive manner.

I automatically put management games down as crap and boring before, then i had a random urge and bought FM08, and now its my second top played game on xfire icon_razz.gif and i've only just got the new patch, didnt know there was one until recently xD so now alot of the little annoying things like the offside rule not working properly and wierd things happening at kick-off have gone and the game seems perfect to me :O

Originally posted by JawKam:

I think FM 2008 is a good piece of work, but the skin has let it down. The white makes it look boring whereas in the older versions, it was green in the background which is football-related.

tbh i like the white skin, it looks much fresher tbh, and means its a bit easier to focus on what you need to. and a white skin doesnt require the same level of graphical support from your pc making the game run faster, people dont congratulate SI for the successes if we are honest, the waiting and processing times for this game are VASTLY improved

I liked 07 more. I felt the match engine was better, the skin was better, the transfer system was better once you worked it out, etc. However, that's not me bashing 08, it's me praising 07.

ok many of you say im one of the "newcomers" and ive "migrated from the other management games" but im 14 and i LOVE this game only played this one and 07 but my older brother was constantly running round the house as he either

made a huge breakthrough signing

won the league

but the most pleasure was when he avoided relegation icon_smile.gif

i think constructive criticism will help the game but if you really hate the game then get off this forum and buy fifa or CM

i dont know about you but im one aof those people who does this..

buys FM instead of CM

i buy Medal of honour instead of COD4

and i buy PES09 instead of FIFA

thats who i am but i love these games and FM08 makes my day

Archived