Obscure teams & leagues to manage

I see Craig Short has been handed the reigns at Hungarian club Ferencvaros IRL and I was thinking of doing something similar on FM - taking over an obscure club in an obscure league as an English manager and seeing how I got on.

Has anybody tried this? If so, which club or league and how did you get on?

I'm going to play some tonight but not too sure who to takeover just yet...

Ferencvaros aren't exactly an obscure club - They've won a major European cup! They've just had a lot of problems trying to live up to past glories and coping financially - thus why they were effectively bought by Sheffield Utd. :D

The rest of the clubs in Hungary are pretty obscure though. ;)

Managing in a league such as the Romanian second division can be very fun, from experience!

OK, obscure was probably a tad harsh but I hope you'd agree it's quite a random move for a former English centre-half...

You don't get too many English managers in countries like Hungary. Liking the idea - I want a club with history, little or no money where I don't know the players, clubs or leagues...

OK, obscure was probably a tad harsh but I hope you'd agree it's quite a random move for a former English centre-half...

You don't get too many English managers in countries like Hungary. Liking the idea - I want a club with history, little or no money where I don't know the players, clubs or leagues...

It's a pretty random move, but the fact it's English owned, English run and with a number of English players means moving to another Hungarian club, for example, would be much more random. :D

Try somewhere like Slovenia?

I've randomly chosen the Russian 1st Division(2nd Tier) to go Mettalurg Liptesk. They were predicted to battle bravely against relegation. I'm enjoying it - i prefer going leagues where I don't know any of the players, Scotland or England are too boring.

The quality in the division is quite surprising and it's competitive. On the plus side if I manage to eventually get promotion and I'm going into a relatively rich league with alot of very very good players. My team has a poor history so hopefully I can make them a decent force(after a couple of seasons). Try them?

I love managing in different countries, and in fact prefer it to managing in England. I've managed in the lower leagues in Russia, Norway, Finland, Argentina and Uruguay in past FM's, and with the new league editor there's far more possibilities on FM2010.

Just started a game as unemployed and took till November to get a job offer - at Celano in Serie C in Italy. Managed to win 3 out of 4 games and the won I lost, we had better possession and should have won.

Not sure if this is sufficiently obscure though :)

Archived