Center back partnerships.

I was just wondering how people have there two center backs set up, and an explanation as to why they are set up this way.

I tried two center back stoppers for a while. The reason was that there were alot of long shots, so my conclusion was, as stoppers they would be closing down alot more. They left gaps but it seemed to work.

Im going to try a stopper and cover next with no offside.

Im going to try a stopper and cover next with no offside.
Good idea. That's what I do and it works for me. Choose the one with better tackling attributes as stopper. I wouldn't recommend offside trap, it's too risky. As far as the long shots are concerned, there isn't much you can do, unfortunately. Just pray that they go wide or your keeper saves them (same as IRL).

I was always taught as a youngster that the CB's should not be coming forward to stop shots as it leaves too many holes at the back for players to expose. So I never allow my CB's to come forward to stop the ball. My other players will do that.

I would rather the opposition having lots of long range shots rather than half as many through balls that allow a closer shot.

KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) ;)

Both centre backs as Limited Defenders (Defend) even if you have world-class centre backs link I have at Man City (Chiellini/Toure). Means they'll do their job without trying any fancy stuff.

Currently in second season I've let in only 6 goals after 17 games. This is without any real holding midfielders, only Pirlo and Fabregas as on Support duty in my 4-2-3-1 formation.

Works a dream :thup:

I was always taught as a youngster that the CB's should not be coming forward to stop shots as it leaves too many holes at the back for players to expose. So I never allow my CB's to come forward to stop the ball. My other players will do that.

I would rather the opposition having lots of long range shots rather than half as many through balls that allow a closer shot.

My CB stopper doesn't venture too far out, either. I tell him not to. The CB cover is supposed to fill in the holes plus my the DM also helps.

I always try to apply one CB with the option to venture a little. If you have a Rio Ferdinand, Lucio, Gallas type of player they have the ability to look forward and make a pass.

The other however, is the rock in my defence and isn't giving the same license to go forward.

This is just personal preference - it helps to keep the ball for my team and by passing from defence to a more creative player, I can play a little more on the counter.

Archived