Would Notts County fans be disappointed with a 3-1 loss to AC Milan?

[Disclaimer: This is on the FM10 demo. For boring reasons I haven't got the full FM10 yet (first time I haven't bought the game on launch day since CM01/02). If this has been altered in the patch, feel free to say so].

I'm playing as Notts County, and my penultimate friendly of the pre-season is a televised home game against AC Milan. Not bad. I go into the game with a few injury concerns, but I have brought in a few players to make up for it. Those players have slight fitness issues though due to a packed preseason, meaning most players start the match with condition between 80 and 90. Despite it being a friendly, Milan weren't messing about with their selection:

Starting lineups

I spent quite a while tweaking tactics and the like before the game (I've never been a tactical genius, but I knew that I needed to try something or else I'd get trounced), and 7 minutes in, we got the opening goal, via Akinbiyi. Unfortunately, it wasn't to last. 12 minutes later Ambrosini got an equaliser, 9 minutes after that Ronaldinho got their second, and after 55 minutes Pato sealed it. It finished 3-1.

But the score didn't show the full picture. We might have given away 12 corners (as opposed to our own 3), but we managed to restrict them to just seven shots on target, managed to keep 45% possession, and had pretty similar cross and pass completion (41% to 40% cross completion, 63% to 69% pass completion). We also managed to run 73.0 kilometres compared to their 73.4.

Match Stats

And even the stats didn't show the full story. There was one of those moments where the peculiarities of the FM match engine showed through, where a quick break which finished with a cross from one winger to the other who had broken into the box was ended when the player receiving the ball decided to take a touch where any other real life player would have shot first-time. Needless to say, his touch was a gift for the goalie, who snapped it up. We also had a pretty convincing penalty shout turned down. Overall, it was a solid performance by my team, and I told them after the match I was pleased with their performance against a first-string Milan.

Player Ratings

It's the kind of match which I imagine a League 2 side fan would remember forever in real life, telling their future grandkids "I remember when AC Milan came to play here in Nottingham with their world-class superstars, and we were in front seven minutes in. And we even held our own for the rest of the match". Except that wasn't the case. The fans were disappointed with the result. They were actually ever so slightly happier with a result two matches prior, where I had a boring 1-1 draw with Cambridge, a team in the league below.

Matches Confidence

Surely this isn't realistic? Are you a Notts County fan? How would you feel with such a result if this happened in real life? Have you had any other similar experiences with the FM10 confidence system? I know it was much-maligned for being inaccurate in previous incarnations, but I haven't been following the forums to see if it's still maligned.

Seems unfair that the fans are unhappy,especially after looking at the match stats,wasn't like they walked all over you stat wise,you had good posession,a CCC,player ratings were good considering your opposition.The fans should be happy no matter what as they are really paying to see the stars in the oppositions team,and lets not forget,it's only a friendly.

But like Kyno said the game only recognizes the "You win = happy. You lose = unhappy. You draw = Actually depends on game".

Playing as Aberdeen I managed to qualify for the Group Stages of the Europa League. Something which was noted by the board as an achievment. However after drawing Everton, Porto and Genoa in the group I knew we would have a hard time first game is away to Everton after losing 2-0 but dominating the match (both goals were breakaways) the fans were reported to be dismayed. I am away from home playing a superior team disapointed yes but dismayed. All my players had ratings of 7+.

Archived