Non-EU players

I am managing in France and the ruling is that squads must not exceed the quota of 4 Non-EU players. The problem i have is that i am over the limit by a few players, yet i have 13 players from outside Europe. I understand certain people will gain European passports, like i believe Argentinians can get Italian passports, no? Or something along those lines. And certain African countries will apply similarly to France i imagine. But i don't know for sure who is eligible as an EU player and who isn't.

The players in question:

Argentinian (Eligible for Spain)

Brazilian (Has gained Spanish Nationality)

Brazilian (Spanish as Other Nationality)

Brazilian

Ivorian

Ivorian

Cameroonian

Congolese (French as Other Nationality)

Columbian

Korean

Malian (French as Other Nationality, Has gained British Nationality)

Uruguayan (Awaiting paperwork to gain French Nationality)

Uruguayan (Has gained Argentine Nationality)

12 of them are in my squad at the moment and it says i have 5 non-EU players. The second Uruguayan is not yet in my squad so it could potentially be 6 depending on whether he qualifies or not. I'm not 100% who the 5 are of the others though.

I can take a wild stab in the dark and assume that the Korean player does not qualify. The same goes for the third Brazilian player in the list if my basic knowledge is correct. After that i would only be able to guess.

It's quite important as i have to work out who i'm going to have to transfer list. :)

Argentinian (Eligible for Spain) - EU

Brazilian (Has gained Spanish Nationality) - EU

Brazilian (Spanish as Other Nationality) - EU

Brazilian - Non EU

Ivorian - Non EU

Ivorian - Non EU

Cameroonian - Non EU

Congolese (French as Other Nationality) - EU

Columbian - Non EU

Korean - Non EU

Malian (French as Other Nationality, Has gained British Nationality) - EU

Uruguayan (Awaiting paperwork to gain French Nationality) - EU

Uruguayan (Has gained Argentine Nationality) - Non EU

It is pretty clear who is an EU national and who isn't - the thing is though, is that the problem? I thought the rule in France was about "Foreign" players, not Non-EU.

I understand that citizens of certain former French colonies around the world (e.g. Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire etc) are not classed as "foreign" under this rule. I cannot give you a list of which nationalities this applies to unfortunately, I've never been sure myself (don't really manage in France).

Hmm. Well it does say at the bottom of my squad "Maximum of 4 Non-EU Players".

Also, from the 12 players above actually in my squad (i.e. given a number (the second Uruguayan doesn't yet have one)), you have 6 down as Non-EU when it says on my squad screen that i have 5 Non-EU players. This was my original confusion really because i could see 6 players who don't obviously qualify as an EU player, yet one must.

Hmm. Well it does say at the bottom of my squad "Maximum of 4 Non-EU Players".

Also, from the 12 players above actually in my squad (i.e. given a number (the second Uruguayan doesn't yet have one)), you have 6 down as Non-EU when it says on my squad screen that i have 5 Non-EU players. This was my original confusion really because i could see 6 players who don't obviously qualify as an EU player, yet one must.

I count 7 but I've just realised you have that Uruguayan who is still awaiting paperwork so that makes 8.

Therefore, I would hazzard a guess that the two Ivorians and the Cameroonian are not being counted as Non-EU. That would leave you with 5 Non-EU.

Incidentally, when you come to do your squad numbers do you not have the FGN icon next to the Non-EU players?

I think that would make sense. You would struggle to get a lot of African players playing in the French league otherwise, if they all counted as Non-EU.

I'm not sure how i can change my squad numbers at the moment. Once i've signed someone i'll be able to see though. And if i can deselect squad numbers i'll be able to work out definitely who is counted as Non-EU.

I've been able to change my squad numbers now and it has whose "Foreign" besides each player.

Argentinian (Eligible for Spain)

Brazilian (Has gained Spanish Nationality) Fgn

Brazilian (Spanish as Other Nationality)

Brazilian Fgn

Ivorian

Ivorian

Cameroonian

Congolese (French as Other Nationality)

Columbian Fgn

Korean Fgn

Malian (French as Other Nationality, Has gained British Nationality)

Uruguayan (Awaiting paperwork to gain French Nationality) Fgn

Uruguayan (Has gained Argentine Nationality) Fgn

So the African players do not count as foreign. Nor do those who have another nation which is European (as opposed to gained Nationality; i think that's because the player has gained Spanish nationality though and needs to reside in Spain for it to count).

I am hoping the first Uruguayan who is awaiting paperwork to gain French Nationality will no longer be classed as foreign either. I am intending to sell the second Uruguayan and first and third Brazilians, as well, so that will take me down to 3 Non-EU players; one below the quota, but i'm bringing in a Uruguayan too.

So i think that's sorted out. Cheers robzilla.

So i think that's sorted out. Cheers robzilla.

Great, we got there in the end! It is maddening sometimes when you don't know who is counting as foreign and who isn't. Seems that it only shows you the FGN icon when it comes time to do something where it is relevant (e.g. choosing squad numbers), I wish it would just show it all the time then there would be no doubt.

Archived