Returning Manager Needs Assistance

I've played the CM/FM series for about 10 years - not bad for a Yank since I used to have to get it imported - so I'm not new to the series. The last few editions haven't gripped me much, but 2010 seems pretty good. I'm getting a lot more feedback about what my squad is doing and the new tactics editor is pretty neat (with the exception that it was a pain in the ass to find where to set tactics for set pieces - that took me over 20 minutes to find). Overall, the new interface is easy to get used to and I think the overall presentation is better. :thup:

So in many ways, I'm returning to the game after a long hiatus since I bought 2009 and 2007 but didn't get into them. The last time I really played the game a lot was back in 2004. Therefore, I'm a bit rusty. Actually, I'm more than a bit rusty.

I'm having problems scoring goals with my team. I always take a very low level squad and this time was no exception when I picked Gateshead in Conference North. But I can't find a way to generate goals. I have some decent players on my team, including a really tall forward Armand One and some strong midfielders in Phil Turnbull and Phil Cave. But I can't put the biscuit in the basket very often.

I did set up my attacking set piece for corners, with the 6' 7" One and 6' 7" Carl Jones manning the corners. But I'm still not scoring much - maybe a goal a game. Any ideas? I picked a 4-1-3-2 formation because it seemed to fit the team. I'd like to bring the ball down the sides and center it in high for Armand One, but I'm open to ideas.

Also, how do you tell which sideline touch to use if you're just replaying highlights? I can't tell whether to go wider, or to push the ball through the middle, or whatever. Do you all watch the games from end-to-end or is there another way to figure that stuff out?

Thanks for the newbie advice.

Archived