That's it now!

I know some people on here don't take kindly to thread's like this sometimes, so I apologise in advance, just felt I had to post this.

I've played as top teams, mid-table teams, LLM and foreign clubs. I've used possibly hundreds of my own as well as downloaded tactics. I've had lot's of much apreciated help by people more knowlagable than me on this forum. All of which has failed utterly. Ive owned a copy of FM/CM since day one and until recent versions have had lot's of success.

I've reached the conclusion now the game is better than me and can beat anything I throw at it. I know it sounds defeatist but life's too short to keep battling what appears to be an unbeatable AI.

Never thought I'd hear myself say this but I think it's time now to take my copy to game as a trade-in and buy something else more enjoyable after all that's what gaming is supposed to be about.

I know some people on here don't take kindly to thread's like this sometimes, so I apologise in advance, just felt I had to post this.

I've played as top teams, mid-table teams, LLM and foreign clubs. I've used possibly hundreds of my own as well as downloaded tactics. I've had lot's of much apreciated help by people more knowlagable than me on this forum. All of which has failed utterly. Ive owned a copy of FM/CM since day one and until recent versions have had lot's of success.

I've reached the conclusion now the game is better than me and can beat anything I throw at it. I know it sounds defeatist but life's too short to keep battling what appears to be an unbeatable AI.

Never thought I'd hear myself say this but I think it's time now to take my copy to game as a trade-in and buy something else more enjoyable after all that's what gaming is supposed to be about.

Point taken. Yeah fair enough your frustrated at not being able to become dominant and the worlds best manger but very few people do as in real life also as well as these games.

Surely you must still get some enjoyment out of this game? im sure 95% of the people who play it do, although i feel some of them wouldnt admit that and would rather gripe at whats wrong 24/7.

I would consider myself to be good at the game, not being big headed but by no means world class as are probably thousands and thousands on these forums. I still find it remarkably enjoyable, yeah there are occasional teams you cant beat i have them too but they can be beaten and the AI can be overpowered.

I see the point that you have tried countless tactics, some your own and some others but there are tactics that work its a case of perservering and most of all keeping a smile on your face :)

Im sure there are managers in real life who know they are never going to become dominant and world class because they are simply not good enough whether this is talent or down to resources.

You dont see managers such as Paul Hart, Tony Adams, saying or this is to hard this ive had enough do you?

Perservere and enjoy know matter how hard it is. We all love a challenge it would be boring if we won all the time. ;)

I was having problems with the tactics aswell, I was messing around with closing down, marking, passing and everything else I did in FM09 as it worked in that game, but in FM10 nothing worked. So I made a new one, left everything the way the tactics creator says except for set piece instructions, set everyone except forwards to long shot mixed(take advantage of the long shot bug while its there), and set no one to tight marking, and now my team is tackling, passing, marking, creating chances, taking chances, basically everything they weren't doing before. So my advice is to create a tactic and LEAVE IT ALONE, it seems if you mess around to much with it, the ME gets confused, i'm Dundee in the SPL and doing quite well and just pushed Rangers and Celtic in my last couple of games.

Sorry you're not enjoying it. There's plenty of places to go and get a little help - I assure you that the AI isn't unbeatable so I'd suggest it's worth persevering with. For everyone's benefit - lets try and keep the thread to constructive comments and advice, please.

Football Manager is a computer game. Like any computer game there is an objective to the game and a skill to achieving said objective. "Beating" the game should not be easy regardless of what game it is. If you play FIFA you will lose matches to the computer. If you play Modern Warfare you will get killed by the computer. It is the same in every game. For some reason people seem to think that Football Manager is different and should be easy to succeed.

Perseverance is the key. I see people quitting after not even one season because results are not going well. That's ridiculous. In FM08 i had a season where i finished 8th out of a 10 team league when i was expected to come 3rd; the next season i won the league with a record points total and almost went unbeaten! My advise to people not succeeding is to manage in the lower leagues and persevere. If you manage over a few seasons you can build a really strong team simply because money is rarely the main driving force, plenty of players are free, can be loaned etc. And if you have a good team, as long as you are passable at the tactic side and don't do crazy things then you'll have success. Also, managers at the lower end are not as astute. If you work from the very bottom of the pyramid and work upwards you can learn about the tactical side of the game as your team builds.

And remember that the losses are what makes the victories feel so good. If every time you started a go you were up there competing in the top band of teams for that division then success would feel less valued. Experiencing the negative always serves to emphasise the positive. The thrill of overachieving and the despair of underachieving go hand in hand.

Best advice with any problems with results is stick to something basic like 4-4-2 if you're struggling. Don't change too much and analyse where things are going wrong. Are you conceding from set pieces, is there a time when you concede most? Are your players just poor? No amount of tactic changes is going to help Hull City, Burnley or Wolves win the Premier League in season 1.

If the opposition are finding too much space shout a touchline order to close them down. If you are 1-0 up and want to control the game and slow it down change your quick tactics to control and order the players to pass to feet and retain possession. Don't stick with this for long though. The AI will no doubt adapt and start playing higher up the pitch and close you down, that's the time to start playing a counter attacking game, passing into space and playing more direct passing, play wider and get the ball forward.

In short, stick to one easy, simple formation and tweak small things during the course of the game. Try the same thing for 5-10 games in a row and if it's not working by then you might just want to start again? Sometimes things just don't work out.

Another thing is try and keep the club stable, don't sign lots of players and expect them to just blend together in a matter of minutes.

One mistake that effects the way the team plays is buying/selling lots of players and expecting the team to perform like a unit from day one.

OP, one things you might consider that no team performs well, if tactics are changed constantly. You haven't said you've done that but after reading you have tried numerous different tactics that might be one cause.

Also I assume you have got guidance with team-talks, right? They are massively important.

Furthermore, in FM10 more than in any earlier version of the game a tactics will not anymore be able to be seen unconnected to the players in a team. If your players don't match, no tactic in the world will be so good in its own right to fully overcome that.

So any further help is still offered to you anytime :)

I'm absolutely not having a go at the game at all, Ive always been a huge fan. I realise the fault's are all my own. I know it's unaccepable to complain a game like this is too difficult and I wouldn't want to demand the game be made easier at the expense of other's who are loving it.

Despite people ranting(me included) this is a great concept, well implemented. Im just sorry my skill hasn't developed at the same pace as the game. I think if a manager IRL can't compete he should admit that to himself and retire.

Just out of interest, answering the folowing questions might help others be more productive when answering;

Who are you managing?

Who have you bought?

What results have you had so far?

What formation are you playing?

What have you changed from the default formation (individual player commands etc)?

What are you saying on teamtalks?

What are you doing in regards to opposition players instructions?

I\'m absolutely not having a go at the game at all, Ive always been a huge fan. I realise the fault\'s are all my own. I know it\'s unaccepable to complain a game like this is too difficult and I wouldn\'t want to demand the game be made easier at the expense of other\'s who are loving it.

Despite people ranting(me included) this is a great concept, well implemented. Im just sorry my skill hasn\'t developed at the same pace as the game. I think if a manager IRL can\'t compete he should admit that to himself and retire.

Very honest of you... I think it is very open of you to come on here and announce that you dont think you are up to the task.

Before you dump it - try three things

1. If you use the tactic creator do not fiddle with sliders. Very minor adjustments only (Except for creativity for necessary players)

2. Use the sliders and build your own tactic as you did on FM09 and dont use the creator at all.

3. Ensure you are adjusting your playing style to suit pitch dimensions.

If you still arent enjoying it and you really really really have tried then I would trade it in and get something you do enjoy. The game is meant to be a chore, but an enjoyable one. ;)

Who are you managing?

Trying(and failing) with Chelsea at the moment but have tried many other's

Who have you bought?

Toulalan £35m, Carlos Eduardo £12m

What results have you had so far?

Too many for one post but over 6 month's this is a good example of the Chelsea game- Burnley 2 Chelsea 1,

Burnley shots 6

Chelsea shots 22

Burnley possession 35%

Chelsea possession 65%

What formation are you playing?

Been trying a downloaded 4-4-2 formation from another site called "Clough Tactics" but it's not just the this tactic as I've failed with other teams and other tatic's

What have you changed from the default formation (individual player commands etc)?

Made Lampard more attacking, thats all.

What are you saying on teamtalks?

Ass manager does these as mine since 08 have been disasterous.

What are you doing in regards to opposition players instructions?

Ass manager does these as well, sometimes I close down and show onto weaker foot dangerous wingers.

well, just for fun I played my reserve keeper as a CM, just to see how the ME would reflect this. He scored two goals for me in one match! A thirty yard screamer and a curled effort from outside the box that Lampard would be proud of. That just shouldn't happen. No more FM10 for me until after the third patch is released, back to 09.

well, just for fun I played my reserve keeper as a CM, just to see how the ME would reflect this. He scored two goals for me in one match! A thirty yard screamer and a curled effort from outside the box that Lampard would be proud of. That just shouldn't happen. No more FM10 for me until after the third patch is released, back to 09.

You didn't bring Jose Luiz Chilavert out of retirement for one match did you? :D

But onto the thread, teams can take a lot of games to adjust to new formations, I had a very average first season with Villa, as the best formation for them is probably 4-5-1. I was intent on using a 4-4-2, I finished 8th but did begin to see the benefits towards the end of the season, I won the FA Cup so despite not finishing in a Euro place the board and fans were appeased. I'd say that a 4-4-2 isn't Chelsea's best formation either and you may get erratic results with that when playing the "Lower" teams who will pack the midfield.

I'd say stick with your Chelsea save and the 4-4-2 for a while longer and see if the results improve :thup:

If you let the assman take over team-talks, then no wonder you have no success. The AM was never good at team-talks.

Also, what I and Simon said about changing tactics too often...

If you get the right assistant, they work wonders. Motivation, man handling and tactical knowledge from 16+ is all you need for him to take team-talks.

Santa Cruz, i was just like you a few days ago. I had downloaded loads of tactic for my man-city. I had just taken over and till the end of that season, they were a disaster!!!!

While in pre-season i decided to scrap downloaded tactics and asked myself some questions:-

What kind of players do i have?

Do i really need my fullback on automatic when, because of the patch they get skinned all the time?

What formation will best suit my man city team?

Do i need to constantly buy players when i have good younsters and backup players to try?

Where is my main strenght - Defence, midfield or attack?

When i sat back and asked myself these questions, i created a 4-1-2-2-1 formation, i read what control, counter and those kind of things meant. I put my centreback on limited defending and my fullbacks on defending as well and i just decided to use my own judgement game to game. In terms of opposition instructions, i did what the ass man said because he had 15 for tactical knowledge. The result:- I'm in december and i'm top of the league with man city, 6 points ahead and i scored 36 goals i think and i've conceeded 12 goals all season.

Try it with your team and see if things improve. I hope that helps you.

stop changing tactics you idiots, the more u change them the worse it gets i havent changed miine for 5 seasons and have won epl every season, with a young team, plus it takes like hald a season for players to gel trust me.

even if u tweek tactics from gaame to game i find out this just makes it work

#

You're managing Chelsea and you are struggling?

I'm sorry but that is pathetic. :)

This is the like the easiest game out out of all the previous version. Everything is mapped for you. All is required is to assign roles to players. Not hard.

Oh if your ass man is doing the tactics, team talks, picking teams etc then the problem is with your ass man. Maybe try playing the game?

#

This is the like the easiest game out out of all the previous version. Everything is mapped for you. All is required is to assign roles to players. Not hard.

Oh if your ass man is doing the tactics, team talks, picking teams etc then the problem is with your ass man. Maybe try playing the game?

Not everyone finds it easy - congratulations you obviously do.

#

Nice friendly advice there... well done

Football Manager is a computer game. Like any computer game there is an objective to the game and a skill to achieving said objective. "Beating" the game should not be easy regardless of what game it is. If you play FIFA you will lose matches to the computer. If you play Modern Warfare you will get killed by the computer. It is the same in every game. For some reason people seem to think that Football Manager is different and should be easy to succeed..

Perseverance is the key. I see people quitting after not even one season because results are not going well. That's ridiculous. In FM08 i had a season where i finished 8th out of a 10 team league when i was expected to come 3rd; the next season i won the league with a record points total and almost went unbeaten! My advise to people not succeeding is to manage in the lower leagues and persevere. If you manage over a few seasons you can build a really strong team simply because money is rarely the main driving force, plenty of players are free, can be loaned etc. And if you have a good team, as long as you are passable at the tactic side and don't do crazy things then you'll have success. Also, managers at the lower end are not as astute. If you work from the very bottom of the pyramid and work upwards you can learn about the tactical side of the game as your team builds.

And remember that the losses are what makes the victories feel so good. If every time you started a go you were up there competing in the top band of teams for that division then success would feel less valued. Experiencing the negative always serves to emphasise the positive. The thrill of overachieving and the despair of underachieving go hand in hand.

I am afraid i will have to disagree with you on your examples about Modern Warfare and Fifa - both those games like every other "computer game" have levels of difficulty, making the game more enjoyable for both the casual user and the hardcore gamer. I dont think people seem to think that Football Manager is different and should be easy to succed, just some people want to play games for enjoyment. While I will agree that perseverance is the key, people should not have to spend hours of Perseverance to get to that enjoyment.

Guest El Payaso
i think they guy who started this thread is just a **** manager!!! its the best game ever, not to easy, not to hard, realistic
Realistic? Not at the moment. The last FM that could have been called realistic was FM 07. There wasn't big mistakes with match engine and you had chance to play defencive "boring" football and win matches 1-0...

This game isn't ready yet not at all. Hopely they will make it harder than it is at the moment. Would love to tweak every slider in my tactics to get results. Hopely the defending will be too good rather that poor as we've seen in these latest releases.

Don't take this game too seriously. You'll only make yourself upset. This is not a simulation. More a "simulation of a simulation", if you will. Forget realism, forget logic.

I'm playing as Chelsea in the latest save and it's not difficult really. What tactics do you use? I play 3 centrebacks, wingbacks, 2 MCs, AMC and 2 strikers. Anelka and Drogba are brilliant, and get Iaquinta. Guaranteed goals. Retrain Bosingwa and A. Cole as right/left wingbacks. Signed a RWB (Srna great choice) as I use Ivanovic as DC. Zhirkov the other LWB. Essien as the more defensive MC, Mikel backup, Lamps and Ballack the other MC or AMC as needed. Deco great at AMC, and there's also Joe Cole. Sold Malouda and Kalou right from the start. Boulahrouz a very decent DC to sign and not expensive. The rest is training and all that... I can send you my tactic if you want. :D Tweaked over quite a few weeks in FM09 then reproduced for FM10.

How I play the other stuff... I completely ignore things like pre-match teamtalks, opposition instructions, assistant's feedback and the touchline thing. HT teamtalks... in general, if you're in the lead against a smaller team, "Don't get complacent" or "Don't let performance drop". Big team "Don't let performance drop" or "Encourage" if you think you can do more. If you're level v smaller team "Disappointed", big team "Encourage" or "For the fans". If you're behind v smaller team "Angry", big team "Encourage" or "Disappointed". There are times where I deviate but most of the time this is it. When in doubt go with what the assistant says. Of course first get a good assistant, like Di Vincenzo, or promote Demichelis if you want.

FT teamtalk is easier. You can usually go with your instincts, just take home/away and the level of opposition into consideration. When in doubt, err on the side of caution and be nice. :D

You won't win every game, and will still get the odd inexplicable loss. Don't bother over-analysing. Sometimes when the game feels it's time for you to lose a game, you will.

Have never really talked about this. Hope you don't think I'm being presumptuous.

Trying(and failing) with Chelsea at the moment but have tried many other's

Toulalan £35m, Carlos Eduardo £12m

Too many for one post but over 6 month's this is a good example of the Chelsea game- Burnley 2 Chelsea 1,

Burnley shots 6

Chelsea shots 22

Burnley possession 35%

Chelsea possession 65%

Been trying a downloaded 4-4-2 formation from another site called "Clough Tactics" but it's not just the this tactic as I've failed with other teams and other tatic's

Made Lampard more attacking, thats all.

Ass manager does these as mine since 08 have been disasterous.

Ass manager does these as well, sometimes I close down and show onto weaker foot dangerous wingers.

Dont let your ass man near team talks or the OI, there useless.

Archived