Offer player a house/car

Very random but i remember an old football management game i played, well over 10 years ago (I can't remember which one, if anyone knows let me know), and when you offered a player a contract you could offer a car and a house to sweeten the deal. I think this is legendary. Imagine, Messi is trying to settle down for a new career at, let's say scunthorpe (just for a laugh), surely he's going to need a house to settle down in the picturesque British coutryside. :D I'm calling for it to be included in the next FM, would be quality.

What are the thoughts on it?

Brilliant, I'm glad you agree, i was starting to think I was going to be universally shot down. I can't see why people would be against it, if you don't like it, don't use it, like I hate the yearly wage rise (so I always remove it and players never care) but I still think it should be in the game. I think it would be a fun little idea and might just clinch a deal over a rival contract offer or give a moral boost.

Brilliant, I'm glad you agree, i was starting to think I was going to be universally shot down. I can't see why people would be against it, if you don't like it, don't use it, like I hate the yearly wage rise (so I always remove it and players never care) but I still think it should be in the game. I think it would be a fun little idea and might just clinch a deal over a rival contract offer or give a moral boost.

Sounds fun but most people probably would not use it. Why not extend it to if the player is married and his wife cannot settle in the area (not enough big shops, LOL), now THAT would be interesting.

What does he do? Ask for a transfer or a divorce?

Agreed that alot of people wouldn't use it, but i think i probably don't use half the things I could that others probably enjoy alot (analysis for example). I like where you're going with that. Imagine that on the player morale screen "is enjoying the club but is findin it hard to settle his family in". Solution, designate an executive box to wags ;) Or you find one of your players is inilegible and you can't think why, a quick check of his status shows his wife's in labour, and the good little husband he is he asked for the game off to be there. Obviously that's taking it too far, i'm just messing around there. But i seriously think that some of the other ideas would be a decent addition to the game. OK it's not game changing or going to massively impact on the experience but it's a nice touch and adds a little realism and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to add in either.

• SI Staff

The reason we've never done this is fairly simplistic - simply put the value associated with such a gift varies hugely from area to area and time to time, hence it'd be very hard as a manager to judge the effect of offering this from a users perspective - or indeed for us to model realistically the effect of it on a clubs bank balance.

You can 'imagine' you're offering a house or rented accomodation (if you're a small club) through the signing on fee's if you want to role play things, but to model all the various housing markets in the game world would be a bit much for us to do tbh.

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 ! Great game fellas

Well done that man, that's the exact game, a complete classic, if i'm not confusing it I also believe that in the pre-saeson you sorted all your club affairs from the comfort of a beach chair on a tropical Island.

Cheers for the reason Marc, I guess it does make a bit of sense thinking about it, considering how many areas of the world must be covered by the FM database these days. Ah well, I can still dream. I wouldn't have expected an official SI response at this time in the morning, I thought it was ridiculous I was up, nevermind you! :D Just out of interest, I think probably not, but are local living expenses taken into account by the players wage requests at all, your response has made it occur to me?

Cheers

I think Total Club Manager (the one with Sir Bobby Robson on the cover) offered this feature, as well as their previous incarnations as the Premier League's official management games by EA Sports.

Bit silly feature I reckon. I mean, with the wages they are getting, why can't they get their own car and houses?

whilst mentioning scunthorpe, i remember when we sold a player to burnley or aston villa (claret and blue) for 100k and 50 seats from their stadium irl.

les, I take it you're a big Scunny fan, any excuse to bring that one up it seems! Fair play to you though, that is a good bit of trivia. So do you mean Scunthorpe got the money from the tickets sold for those 50 seats, that would be a good deal.

Very random but i remember an old football management game i played, well over 10 years ago (I can't remember which one, if anyone knows let me know), and when you offered a player a contract you could offer a car and a house to sweeten the deal. I think this is legendary. Imagine, Messi is trying to settle down for a new career at, let's say scunthorpe (just for a laugh), surely he's going to need a house to settle down in the picturesque British coutryside. :D I'm calling for it to be included in the next FM, would be quality.

the game is Total Club Manager, with management like FM, 3D like fifa (at that time). well, but what the point you can offer car/house to a player when offer him a contract? it's just like you increase wage offer, appearances bonous ...

I remember it too but would never have been able to name the game. Was quality.

I am busy trying to get the mighty Queens Park from the Scottish 3rd back where they belong filling Hampden in the Premier and, much to my discredit, have been sitting here ramping up the signing on fee to 40k and telling the player I'll buy him 2 tenament flats in the East end of Glasgow. Glad to know I am not totally alone in my insanity

In response to Mark Vaughan, I understand that you can't add houses as an incentive, but could we not have more random player events such as Injured whilst doing DIY or Tripping over warning signs e.g Richard Wright.

Like that one):- Or Rio Ferdinand Kicking the coffee table and doing his knee in. How about this: 'Injured by flying tea cup during HT team talk'

Was this not Premier Manager 98 on the PS1. Im sure it was on that dnt recall seeing it on USM.

I bankrupted my side on it buying a house for Schmichiel. I wouldnt like to see it on FM as it would come into role playing.

Buy the sims and create your new players and wife and buy him a house there.

Could you not set a base value for houses dependent on league?

Top leagues around Europe for example could have higher values, while the lower leagues would have lower and lower values?

This could be done regardless of location.

For example you could offer a £250,000 house and a £50,000 car when you are in the PL, Liga BBVA, or Serie A. While in League 2 you could offer a £20,000 house and a £500 car (second hand obviously :p)

Just a thought.

this is in soccerproject the house and car

you can rent a house or a car with the money from the signing fee, easy

I don't want to see house and car in FM, this would lead to women and clothes, kids and other nonsense :D , though kids would be good if they play football so you can attach them to your club :D

It's illegal.

End of thread.

Club are not allowed to offer Houses and Cars to players for simple tax reasons.

Ronaldo couldn't join Real Madrid for instance and they offer him 30 Grand a Week but a 10 million pound house and 10 bentleys and ferraris.

Tactical Manger 2. Fun game! Too easy, though. And FM is, of course, miles better.

The game you are thinking of is Premier Manager on Playstation 1. :p Its the one where highlights were Actua Soccer's match engine

What a 3D match engine that was, they should have dug out some contact details for someone at actua soccer I would have imagined they'd have worked quite well with FM given that it was technology from what 12 years ago? PC's should be able to run it comfortably these days.

It's illegal.

End of thread.

Club are not allowed to offer Houses and Cars to players for simple tax reasons.

Ronaldo couldn't join Real Madrid for instance and they offer him 30 Grand a Week but a 10 million pound house and 10 bentleys and ferraris.

Always one isn't there. Here we are, having a bit of fun and along comes Mr Misery to stamp all over things.

Having played Ultimate Soccer Manager and all the Premier Manager series, I can definitely verify it was Premier Manager and not USM that had this feature.

I used to love it back in those days, but I was a kid then, maybe that's something to do with it?

Nowadays, I can't see what benefit it would give to FM, and rather than risk more bugs/problems with new, pointless features, I would much rather SI concentrated on getting the match engine sorted!

I remember that game too...I played it...

I think it would be a great idea, it's done in real life...why not?

This is exactly why we have these boring press conferences in the game. The fact that it's done in real life, doesn't mean it's a great gameplay element.

This is exactly why we have these boring press conferences in the game. The fact that it's done in real life, doesn't mean it's a great gameplay element.

I think the press conferences are perhaps the most pointless part of the game. I always send out the the AM.

The box for 'Additional comments' is useless, I don't know why it's there as you are never going to get replies on what you add.

Perhaps they should also allow the option to send out one of the players instead as that seems to happen more often now.

You are never given the opportunity to really choke off the press men themselves, which some managers do

It's just boring, repetitive drivel in most cases.

i got ultimate soccer manager 98 free with my computer all those years ago, and for me that was the best manager game ever because you could see the players improve so quickly. i remember there used to be this one german goalkeeper from division 2 who i would sign who turns into a world class player ever time, i think his name was alexander kushman or something like that.

also the bribery! and the newspaper reports made me LOL

It's illegal.

End of thread.

Pennant was given a house and car as part of the deal when he moved to Real Zaragoza.

Plus you are suggesting the house/car is instead of wage payments. It is used to sweeten the deal so to speak. If Pennant was to leave Spain his still has a nice holiday home so it adds a small incentive for the player to join the club.

Archived