Wasteful in front of goal...

I'm getting rather frustrated with my current ongoing FM10 save, which is the first one I've started on the new game. Playing as Ajax, I seem to be running into the same problem every game, specifically: I'll dominate posession and chances, but a combination of the opposing keeper playing a blinder, and my forwards very generously hitting all of their shots straight at him (or else over the bar) contributes to me not scoring many. Then, add this to my defence being rather prone to the occasional lapse in concentration or positional sense, and all of a sudden I've lost 2-1 at home against a side I was expected to cruise past. This can be excused as an occasional blip, but it seems to be the case in the majority of my games right now.

Now, I can stomach all of this if I'm managing a poor side who have rubbish goalscorers and defenders. God knows I've had plenty of lower-league sides throughout the various FMs who have that problem, and I know how to deal with it. The issue here is that Ajax are one of the best sides in the Dutch league, and none of my players are lacking in the ratings department (my front two both have reasonable ratings for finishing and composure, and my defence are all excellent in terms of positioning and concentration; at least on paper). This all leads me to think that I'm setting up my tactics all wrong. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem, and if so, have you found a way to sort it out and turn dominance into wins?

Archived