How Rich Can You Get?

Okay, so this is a question posted on another well-known forum but since I suppose SI officials don't post there, I'll do the thread over again here:

So, yeah. Just how filthy rich can you get? I got a balance/bottom line which is quite scary on one of my saves. I remember on previous versions of FM, if you had too much cash; your balance got negative and then someone would buy you up and you'd get huge loans and massive debt in the process. I kinda want to avoid that.

The value of the club per se is one thing, as it calculates the amount of money my players are worth and so on, but the balance/bottom line is another. Right now, on my 'fun save' I got.. 270 million Euro pure cash. Out of which around 120 million is expendable on transfers.

How long/high can I go? I'm very 'economical' for playing a fun save. And I'm a bit worried. I don't want to go broke because I got too rich and get some knob chairman who wants to interfere with everything or even fire me to get someone from the United Arab Emirates to replace me with huge debts on my precious club.

One response I got from ThatOtherSite was this:

I'm only a novice programmer, but I'm guessing that the bug was triggered in older versions of CM/FM because an int32 (maximum value 2,147,483,647, minimum value -2,147,483,648) was used as the data type for the bank balance, and that this has been changed to a long long/int64, which has a minimum value of −9,223,372,036,854,775,808 and a maximum value of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807.

Keep in mind that this may be entirely wrong, but it's my crackpot theory. ;)

int32 = 32 bit integer, meaning a range of 2 to the power of 32.

int64 = 64 bit integer, meaning a range of 2 to the power of 64.

And others say that it's still the 32 bit integer. But if it's that is so, is the value in pounds? As I use a currency which is about 1/13th or 1/14th of the sterling.

Would be nice to get this cleared up.

If I remember correctly, if you get too rich, the game has a in-built safety catch and invest some money "for the future".

In essence, you can't get an overflow for the finances.

Okay but where is that limit by being 'too rich' and if I get more poor, will that money ever come back or is it just the game that steals from you?

1. So 2 billion pounds of cash? Is that the limit? Can we have a conformation?

2. Also, I take that's in Pounds Sterling? So I should take 2 billion x 13 to get the limit for me?

3. And this is in cash right, not the club's total value?

4. So no 'suddenly you plunge into a large negative amount'-balance, but just... 'let's keep it for a rainy' day once you go over the limit? And this is reinvested when you get more poor?

I would appreciate conformation on these questions from someone who surely knows.

1. So 2 billion pounds of cash? Is that the limit? Can we have a conformation?

2. Also, I take that's in Pounds Sterling? So I should take 2 billion x 13 to get the limit for me?

3. And this is in cash right, not the club's total value?

4. So no 'suddenly you plunge into a large negative amount'-balance, but just... 'let's keep it for a rainy' day once you go over the limit? And this is reinvested when you get more poor?

I would appreciate conformation on these questions from someone who surely knows.

For your point 2, it's 2 billion of any currency as far as I'm aware since the limitation is the size of the variable that can be handled by the application. So even if I play with Swedish kronor as currency (13 sek to each pound) it's still 2 billion sek.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is any currency calculations going on i nthe background.

Cheers,

JB

I believe it's 2 billion pounds. Everything is based on pounds and then multiplied for to give the chosen currency.

I think it is pounds. I crossed the 2 billion in my currency, I got close to 3 billion actually and nothing happened. So it's 26~ or so billion. That means I'm pretty safe.

Archived