your hardest CL group yet

Just a quick question to create some talk. What is your hardest (in quality of opposition) group been?

Mine:

As second seeds i thought a nice draw would be in order. My Rangers side have scored 13 goals in 4 games to qualify(10 of them away from home) and thought we where in good form so a draw with reasonable teams would be ok. Chelsea are put in group B. I follow them into that for a battle of britain tie. So the third seeds come Juve. Starting to feel sick and i look at the 4th seeds, who do i want to avoid. The three names i thought of was Rubin from Russia, Dinamo Bucarest from Romania and Besisktas from Turkey. Oddly enough i get Rubin.

Not played it yet as the draw just got made, i rekon that could be topped though.

yeah, as Arsenal I got Bayern and Juve too along with some other minging team who we'll all beat. Second season. I guess either Juve or Bayern are 3rd seeds making any group featuring them likely to be difficult.

Me, Betis, Werder Bremen, Anderlecht

Betis were Spanish champions, Werder Bremen winners of the UEFA Cup last season and I'd already played them in the Super Cup (a nightmare grey side), and a difficult grey side in Anderlecht.

I steamrollered Betis for some reason, though.

I drew Lyon, Wolfsburg and Standard Liege in the very first season as Arsenal.

One or two unlucky results ended in me finishing 3rd in the group. Though I went on to win the Europa League.

I forgot to mention that Lyon went on to win the Champions League.

Played them in the Super Cup the beginning of the next season and managed to beat them though :)

Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Dinamo Moscow as Man City. It wasn't pretty. I'm sure a better manager could've won the group but I'm not brilliant at this game. I wasn't outclassed by the first two teams mentioned (which surprised me a bit) but let's just say I deservedly dropped into the Europa League.

i normally start at with the lower league teams like Notts County, Lincoln and Southampton, and i have never been in the champions league.

after 2 seasons with Lincoln, i had drew the "top 4" in the cup competitions, couldnt belieive it, and i didnt reach the expectations in them cups because of this :(

would like to player with big clubs, rather than meet them next round :D. I'm happy (as R.Madrid) if at same group with Inter, Chelsea, MU, Arse, Liv rather than meet them at 1/16 stage. At group stage, atleast you will have more chances to fix your fault. 2 seasons, same group with big teams, then 1/16 got teams like Dinamo, Moscow make it likes walk in the park round for me :)

As Liverpool I got Bayern Munich, Juventus and Fenerbache. Managed to qualify from the group, only to get Barcelona in the first knock-out round. Won 1-0 at home in the first leg. Then took the lead down in Barcelona after 4 mins, a wondergoal by Aquilani, and I thought we would go through. But then Xavi scored a hat-trick, and we went crashing out...

• 2 weeks later...

As Aberystwth, somehow against all the odds getting through all the qualifiers to the group stage. i was amazed because we won the games comfortable. It doesn't really matter who i get because my best players are just about fit enough to hold down a lower league one spot. anyway, we get man utd, athletico Madrid and Bordeaux. I hoped they would field weaker strength sides, oh how wrong i was.

Played 2 W0 D0 L2 F0 A19

This included a 0-12 defeat at home against A.Madrid with aguero getting 8.

bad times indeed.

As Aberystwth, somehow against all the odds getting through all the qualifiers to the group stage. i was amazed because we won the games comfortable. It doesn't really matter who i get because my best players are just about fit enough to hold down a lower league one spot. anyway, we get man utd, athletico Madrid and Bordeaux. I hoped they would field weaker strength sides, oh how wrong i was.

Played 2 W0 D0 L2 F0 A19

bad times indeed.

Ouch, sorry to say this, but post that in the records thread in CSE...

im in similar boat Merdain

but as Linfield made it to the 2017 Champions League group stage and drew:

R.Madrid

Liverpool

HSV - Last years Europa league winners and 4 times consecutive Bundesliga winners

i came away with ONE point from 6 games :( that was a 11 men in the box game away to liverpool

Played 2 W0 D0 L2 F0 A19

bad times indeed.

Argh, heavy defeat man! :(

But to be honest, it could have been worse! :rolleyes:.. I think..

groupl.jpg

I started the group with a 1-4 away win to Inter and a 3-0 home win against Liverpool. Because I then got the two "easier" matches against Unirea I easily qualified. I rested most of my key players in the remaining two matches and was quite surprised to see I again beat Inter and Liverpool. I played ten reserves on Anfield but won 1-2 in injury time!

This is my third season, I got Marseille in the next round. Hopefully I can advance past the quarter final this time.

I only wish I would do as well against the two elite clubs in my country, I keep losing to Barça and Real. I've beaten Real only once and lost six times in seven encounters. A Real fan would argue it's still unrealistic that Atleti managed to beat their neighbours a single time haha

Haha, My mate just print screened me a picture of his group with Wolfsburg, it made me laugh!

Wolfsburg (Him), Inter Milan, Chelsea and A. Madrid! Have too laugh.

Archived