Players that you can't get rid of?

Has any one ever had a player which they can't get rid of, either by selling or releasing?

I'm currently playing as manager of Sheffield Wednesday. Steve Watson hasn't been realy good enough to hold a place in the squad, due to his increasing age and decreasing attributes, and with a weekly wage of £6,000 I needed to get rid. I placed him on the transfer list for the whole of my first season, but no one would buy. Now, I'm just about to start my second season in the premiership. I've tried mutual termination, but he refuses, I try and release, but the board block due to a £350,000 fee!

Anybody else had anything like this?

Yeah, I was at Spurs a lonnnng time ago, and both Paul Robinson and and Darren Bent were both quite old by now. The previous manager had given them massive contracts. They sat in my reserves for a year, picking up £100,000+ a week. Obviously no-one would want to bid for a poor player on that kind of wedge, nor would somebody on such a wedge accept mutual termination.

I've found with this version that players are alot more likely to try and prove their value to the team. So even if you transfer list them, tell them they are not needed, never play them for 2 seasons, they still cling on preventing teams from wanting to buy them. I think this is why so many people are struggling to sell players they don't want.

Archived