Game has outgrown me/I have outgrown the game

I don't know which, but it's just lost me, trying to navigate round the interface and understand the tactics and other new features is like my nan trying to work an ipod.

As the title says, I don't if it's me that's changed, or if it's purely the game - but I'm quite a heavy PC gamer and this just seems to be aimed at a different audience. It confuses me more than understanding why people use twitter.

I spent 800hours enjoying FM09, and in an effort to stop myself going back to it I deleted my save games, to try and force myself to move forward with the times. A decision I now regret.

Obviously a break might be all I need to rediscover my love of the game series, and I might be blinded by some fantastic other games currently on the market. But I think I know myself well enough to know it's more than that.

I'm waffling a bit.

I am disappointed with FM2010, the way it's been presented, the direction it's gone in and the way it feels to play. Alas, I still spent money on it and the cynic in me says that's allt hat counts to the production company, but I'm sure occasionally some feedback is run under their noses.

I've also given the game a good chance, I've played several seasons with different clubs in different circumstances but still find the game too hard to navigate, figure out, enjoy.

I'll be trying the FM11 demo and hope for something more suited to my tastes, but if it's along these lines I will not be a future customer.

Thanks for reading.

I think the layout of it is a lot worse this year. Like I have said before other places, I never played FM09, but I found FM08 a lot simpler to navigate.

Everything was available with a click or two. From a drop-down menu or the bar on the side with the + buttons...whatever it was...now it just feels like I have to navigate around to find things.

I often keep finding myself forgetting where the shortlist is, and I certainly have almost never used it. It's become almost obsolete.

I kind of understand what SI was trying to do I think. But in my opinion they just ruined something that was perfectly fine to begin with.

I think it would be better to take a step back in order to move forwards. I liked the way it was, and I don't like the way it is now.

I can also kind of see where CaptainPlanet is coming from, as I do feel the same way. I loved FM08 and played it endlessly for hours at a time. But this just feels different. And maybe it is me that's changed, but the game just doesn't feel the same way it used to anymore.

I just try to convince myself that I will come to love this years version, and that I spent money on it, so I should give it a fair go, but I just struggle to get into the game lately. I don't know how to describe it other than it just feels different.

I don't think FM2010 is worse than FM2009 I actually think it is better it's more realistic in terms of the real football world, having played 5 seasons and currently manager of Celtic I find it harder to hold on to some stars I've found and the finances are more in keeping. But in regards to the above topic I don't think I've outgrown the game even though I don't play it for hours and hours on end anymore I just think I've gotten older and things have changed. I've grown up playing FM since the original Champ Man in 1992 so have been playing this series for 17 years!!! Maybe it's just uve grown a bit older like me :D

I couldnt explain why, but i feel the same. I dont enjoy spending hours on fm2010 whereas i couldnt shut fm2009 down before my eyes closed... And lines i could read when i used to open the game were so true ("i have no life, but who cares i like this game", or other funny things like that^^). Anyway. Would it be possible to find somewhere a patch updating fm2009 to current rosters & fm2010 players ratings ??

I couldnt explain why, but i feel the same. I dont enjoy spending hours on fm2010 whereas i couldnt shut fm2009 down before my eyes closed... And lines i could read when i used to open the game were so true ("i have no life, but who cares i like this game", or other funny things like that^^). Anyway. Would it be possible to find somewhere a patch updating fm2009 to current rosters & fm2010 players ratings ??

I really feel what you saying. i wish there was a way to play fm08 with updated rosters. Well lets wait for the patch maybe will change the way we feel about this game. spend less hours on this fm than anyone. maybe i am getting older lol but glad i'm not the only one feeling like this about the game!!!!

Im with the OP on this one - I load up the game almost every night hoping something will prompt me to click continue, but once ive got my mouse cursor all the way to the top right corner (i know, hit spacebar also continues) im kinda not bothered anymore and go listen to music or surf the web. I have a baby, a wife and a 3 year old to occupy my time, but before FM10 I ALWAYS found time for a few games, even if it meant missing out on some shut-eye. (which I so dearly crave nowadays!)

There is soooo much more navigating and clicking to be done, the homescreen is huge with a lot of empty stuff and the boxes I really want to use stuck away at the top, squashed together (a little contradictory to my opening line about moving my mouse cursor to continue) but maybe its just me not accepting change easily :)

Good changes to the game are evident with the tactical instructions and now we can 'pigeon-hole' players in specific positions - that can make it very messy during the course of a game and will take a little adapting...but gives an idea what style you want your team to have and probably helps the stragglers and newcomers which isnt a bad idea.

I may go back to FM09 - but I last played that during the day and a half I sat in the house while my wife puffed n panted her way through labour, before we finally went to hospital...not the proper way to bow out of a game, im sure you'll agree.

Tafse makes a valid point. In my experience it's very possible to over-play a game to the point where you loose interest. I'm not exactly a long term fan of the FM series but the current version seems pretty much the same as previous ones I've played, the interface and tactical changes appear largely cosmetic to me.

I think it is not just now i think it as happened on previous games. Before people like cm98/99 then not many liked cm99/01. Then people loved cm01/02 then they disliked CM4(02/03) Then many people liked CM03/04 including me. :D

I think the first game you play you love, But after a while you get too used to the game. Things change that you now notice are changed. Where as some one who say FM10 was their first FM/CM game they would love it now because everything is new to them.

But in a few more years when things change and they have gotten used to FM, I predict that they will feel the same/will be on here posting how FM13 or FM14 is not good like FM10 and they don't feel FM14 like how they felt FM10. (No sequel ever is as good) and there will be people who had just bought FM13 the year before and FM14 that year and saying how good FM13 and 14 is... & the circle goes on and on. ;)

I was the same when i first moved from Lma manager for the ps2 to Championship Manager for the PC, I was amazed at all the detail and things like being able to take over a new club at anytime. (Where as on Lma manager 2002 and 2003 you had to wait untill the end of the season. And even then you had about 3 jobs always from a league below to choose from lol) Being able to edit a database was amazing to me and creating fixtures was unreal. Because on the PS2 you just had the one fixed database and that was it.

I have felt the same way as the OP at times. But i reckon it is us ourselfs getting too used to the game.

That old saying is true, Nothing beats that first time, You might get old feelings like you had your first time but never get the same great feeling you did the very first time. :p

p.s Im enjoying FM10 though. FM09 made me feel exactly how the OP feels now, Also to mention FM08 with the unstoppable last 10 minute AI 4-2-4 formation that drove me crazy.

I am the complete opposite. I havent been able to get a real save going since CM became FM, unless I played multiplayer. On this version however I have played until 2023 and still love it. I just cant seem to put it away, and I play even more now than I did when I first discovered the series back in '92.

At the end of the day people lose focus that it's just a computer game. A computer game that is basically the same every year just with slight tweaks and updates.

Anyone is bound to get bored after a while. I've been playing since CM days, and I routinely get bored of the new FM's. I last played 09 in June, and spent the next 4 months just waiting for the new release. This means that I'm fresh when the new game comes out.

Some people just do a complete overkill. Plus it doesn't help having so many other fantastic computer games coming out recently.

Just to be clear, there is no feeling of "same old, same old" from me. It's not boredom, if it was it would have happened several thousands of hours ago.

Maybe it's because I'm a creature of habit, and I don't like large amounts of changes, but a completely revamped UI just throws me off instantly and despite giving it plenty of hours to try and get used to, it's a game breaker for me.

I accept bits changing and small tweaks here and there, but if it aint broke...

Although the UI is my main complaint, it's the general feel of the game that just feels off and too different to what it was previously. The focus on tactics and 3D match representation (and don't get me started on the media stuff) just isn't my cup of tea at all and I feel like I'm just out of touch with what the game is offering.

Still can't figure out if it's me that's changed, or if SI have switched target audience to outside of my range.

I really sympathize with the OP. My enthusiasm with the series ended a long time ago. The last one I bought was FM08, and I didn't stay with it very long.

I was tempted to buy this year's version, because of the league editor. That's a feature I've asked for for many years. But I wonder if the game would still come down to endless frustrating tweaking of tactics that have no relation to real football and don't work anyway.

Tonight, I reinstalled FM05 and believe it or not, the game was fresh and fun. Perhaps I'll use the editor to edit the ambition of my club's chairman down to zero, so I can play as my favorite club for a long time without getting fired.

i totally agree with the laborious media questions. Reading and clicking info that more often than not upsets my players aint no fun.

The layout, i agree, has been improved in parts, but also lacks in FM09 simplicity in some areas. Having to click hover click just to scout a player can be annoying..why cant there be a simple "scout" button on the players attribute profile. anyways, i digress.

other than the glaring bugs that have blighted a small part of my enjoyment, i have to say this iteration has been the best yet.

I can understand the OPs sentiments as there does seem, as ive said,t o be an influx of laborious tasks added to this version. No doubt, the tasks have huge potential but at the moment they dont really stimulate any consistent interest IMO.

There's nothing to do with getting used to and thus bored, or being too much used to one version and being unable to move on. I'm a fan from the big start (i was looking for a management game in basketball, couldnt find any -SI should you read this there's lots of money to do-, but found the game by chance at a very cheap price so i took it despite i was not yet a football fan -the game among other things actually helped a lot ; end of the story sorry (nostalgy, come on is that a tear that i'm feeling :D) ^^) and for the first time i ve been thinking to the version before. Ok sometimes i ve wanted to play again with some dream rosters (i remember French team Monaco gathering players like Trezeguet, Henry, Barthez, Djetou, Christanval and so many others in one of the first versions), but that's it. I just feel this new game too impersonal, cold, like i'm winning ok cool then what, like nothing happens.

Let me try to think of a few possible reasons to that (no specific order) :

- I was maybe expecting too much from this version, especially after having read the blog day after day on the last month before it went out, being so impatient, after failed to convince myself not to play this new version (and get a normal life instead ;) )

- Game looks a little bit too easy. I've only bought 3 players and no older than 20/21 (so Wonderkids as you can imagine.. i just dont imagine my results year after year from now...) at Man C on my first season of my first ever save of 2010, and i'm PL 1st with +10pts, 6 games left. I knew there was something to do with this team and that i had years of FM practice behind, but i was expecting Chelsea, Arsenal (very challening in 2009 for PL title), Man U and Liverpool's AI challenging me a bit more than that.

- As it has been said, too many clics required to go from A to B (because of some new useless pages, which someare badly placed pages, and some previously existing have been badly placed as well, to make folders and sub folders logical i guess, but not practical at all at the end).

- And i dont like the new look & design (ok i can change the skins), but it goes even to 3D engine, i dont know why but i feel player moves were more realistic, natural in 2009 version. Ok i havent retried 2009 yet to confirm but still. And attendance design is a good idea but looks like a Street of Rage video game, which was good 15 years ago on megadrive. I would have preferred to wait for the 2011 to see something finished. Just to feel SI is still serious and respectful of its fans, and not launching new things quickly, just to say there's something new, and the year after there's something better. Too easy...

- And some other things that i've pointed out somewhere else, but which would be more wishes than reasons to explain that i think.

Just to be clear, there is no feeling of "same old, same old" from me. It's not boredom, if it was it would have happened several thousands of hours ago.

Maybe it's because I'm a creature of habit, and I don't like large amounts of changes, but a completely revamped UI just throws me off instantly and despite giving it plenty of hours to try and get used to, it's a game breaker for me.

Although the UI is my main complaint, it's the general feel of the game that just feels off and too different to what it was previously. The focus on tactics and 3D match representation (and don't get me started on the media stuff) just isn't my cup of tea at all and I feel like I'm just out of touch with what the game is offering.

Still can't figure out if it's me that's changed, or if SI have switched target audience to outside of my range.

Couldn't agree more. It just doesn't feel like FM anymore, i'm still playing 08 and 09, afraid that 10 will probably be the last I buy for a while.

For the fella who said that people who complauin are just crap managers, in the few saves I played on 10 I had far more success than most saves with 09, yet I still consider 09 a far superior game.

i have to agree with the origional poster, i jumped from 08 to 2010 after over 2 years of play on 08 and near enough playing 8 hours a day most days each week. Only stopping to eat sleep and my other love in life poker.

Anyways i just feel so disheartened by 2010. I love editing database and that has kept me on 2010 as the editor is far better, but thats it, other than that i could easily go back to 08 for another year.

I dont know if it was because i had designed a tactic which i cant figure out how to set up on 2010 or if the times are just changing in such a way that i prefer the older game.

I agree totally with the OP, this year's game could have been great (improved 3D, stadium effects, tactical interface) but the layout and flow has just vanished. It is so illogical I just can't get into it. I have bought FM every year - this is is the first one I have missed. I am still playing FM2009 which to me is the pinnacle of SI's achievements.

i agree too, i will not be buying fm2011. The fun has gone out of the game, its just too frustrating

and time consuming to bother with.

I used to play for hours on end with the older games 01/02 and 03/04, but now i struggle to stay interested

in fm2010 for more than 30mins before turning off out of pure boredom.

The results and goals just seem random, the A.I. seems fixed to win no matter what you do.

Shame, so much hype about this fm10 and it just has not lived up to expectations, i feel really let down by S.I. and the game testers,

its just one big buggy mess.

The basis of a great game is there, but much of fun has been ripped out and replaced with tactical nonsense.

The new features are a waste of time.....i would rather have a smooth running,bug free game to be honest.

and i have read that long term games are still not fixed, with newgens/regens still being way below par.

I feel quite the same on this version I feel very let down, I feel they have glossed over the same problems as previous versions, match engine,poor training,poor regens,terrible media, and covered it by adding new and just as bad features. I too used to enjoy this game and have done since 92/93. But with this latest abomination of the game (Personal choice here fanboys!) I feel it has become far to easy and the whole game gives me this tacky arcade football game it reminds me of some of the worst football manager games i have ever tried!! The whole game just doesn't seem to fit/feel or play correctly it's as though SI just went i can't really be arsed this year and the as for the testers they should all be lined up and shot for allowing this many problems to escape their attention yet again!! (Rant over back on topic). I still play the game in the hope it will re-ignite my love for the series but to no avail so far I feel like when I played PES and i could see it was slipping behind FIFA and i refused to change then finally saw how good FIFA had become and converted and haven't looked back, something I feel is begining to happen with this game sadly. I know for a fact that i won't be buying again soon if this is what the future of the game holds, and if SI don't sort themselves out soon they too will become the next PES and someone will take their title of number 1 manager game!!

I've played every version since the beginning and it was only from 07 where I started to feel like I didn't want to load the game and would rather spend my time doing other things. I hoped 08 and 09 would get me interested again but neither did. I still tried to play those games but I just couldn't get into it like I used to. I was feeling like I had outgrown the series and maybe it was time to give it up.

However, FM10 is the first game since 06 to really hold my interest and while I don't play it as much as I used to back then I have to say I'm really enjoying this game. While there clearly are issues that need looking into this year I find myself keen to load the game for an hour or two an evening whereas in the last few years I haven't had that feeling.

Personally I really like the new interface, maybe for me that was the change that was needed to get me interested again, I can understand that some wouldn't like the new interface but I feel like that change has helped me get back into the game. Other factors, like simplifying the tactics has helped me as I just didn't want to spend hours and hours working on tactics only to not really know what I was effecting by each single slider movement I was making.

Just not playing the game that much over the last few years may have helped, also the fact that I don't spend the hours I used to playing may keep the game feeling fresh and therefore keep drawing me back but whatever it is that has got me regularly playing again I'm just glad it has.

I can empathise with the OP on this even though I'm really enjoying FM2010 which is the first FM I've enjoyed for a couple of years. I'm with a few others on this that enjoying FM is cyclical. I overplayed a couple of versions and then simply couldn't get in to FM08 or 09 because I think I overplayed the previous versions. However I've been on a long break from FM and I think that's why I'm really enjoying FM2010.

I'd say skip this version and come back afresh for FM2011.

Yeah due to system and time contraints I hardly got into 08 or 09. Now I have a new laptop which runs the game fine and I have to say i'm loving it, it's the best version of the game so far if you ask me.

Maybe give this one a break, see how you feel in a few months. If you miss the game, it's always there for you.

The biggest problem is nowadays you have to be a tactics genius, I know nothing about tactics and the tactics explanations just confuse me. Sure it's easy to download tactics but when they stop working I have no idea what's going wrong.

That'll only get worse in future games.

The biggest problem is nowadays you have to be a tactics genius, I know nothing about tactics and the tactics explanations just confuse me. Sure it's easy to download tactics but when they stop working I have no idea what's going wrong.

That'll only get worse in future games.

I think you're absolutely right there. Many people counter with the argument "tactics are a part of management", which of course they are, but its a matter of degrees. The likes of Kevin Keegan and Peter Reid don't go nearly as deeply into tactics as say Mourinho or Benitez. The problem is the game can't allow for this difference so we all have to be Mourinho, which annoys about 50% of players. If we all had to be Peter Reid(horrible thought) the other 50% would get grumpy. I must admit I wouldn't like to be SI trying to make that balance.

Have you thought about downloading the FM09 skin or another unofficial skin to see if that helps?

Would a switch to 2D classic help at all? ;)

I'm also not keen on the 3D to be honest but I've been quite enjoying the 2D this year.

The media stuff still goes stale after a little while, I must confess, but I'm not finding it quite as bad as in 09.

What exactly is it about the tactics you don't like? I've actually found this version so much easier to get into because the tactics system is so much easier and quicker to access. Before, I would spend what seemed like an age setting things up and making various strategies to make a tactics set. Now I am quickly able to get what I want out of the tactics side of the game and use the touchline shouts plus the advanced mode to make a few tweaks here and there.

I know how you feel because I felt rather like this when FM09 was out. However, I'm finding FM10 really good so far. I'm holding back on my judgement a little bit because I feel that a long-term game will be the real test for me but so far, this could be one of my favourite versions.

I know that doesn't help much but perhaps the best idea for you is to put FM10 to one side for now and only come back to it when you feel ready. My big mistake with FM09 was that I kept forcing it and, in the end, I just ended up disliking it even more because of this.

Maybe give it a few weeks or a month and then come back to it after Christmas. Try downloading a new skin and give it a real chance. That would be my advice.

Regards,

C.

Despite that the game is harder than previous years, I find that it's been one of my favourites in the FMs I've played so far. I didn't like the demo, but that was more that I wasn't interested in the leagues in the demo, and I couldn't get used to the UI. But now, it seems I've gotten into the game to the point I probably wouldn't go back to FM09.

You can always follow C's advice and try a new skin, or why not try something new, like manage in a new league, new continent? A custom db? Or try managing your favourite team. There's plenty of other ways to keep the game fresh, like I have 'goals' in mind for future seasons in what I want to accomplish, and it keeps me going. Try a small club to big club challenge you haven't tried before, start a career game in an obscure nation and aim to be the best, or even go LLM, there are many options.

CP, give it a go again after the 2nd patch, and maybe you'll like the game again.

OP - I know what you mean in a way - i've played the game since the beginning but every now and again i dont play it for a while. Up to a year at one stage. Then suddenly the urge comes and before you know it the addiction is back!

Just at least keep it on the shelf and without even realising it you will be playing it again. It just does that to you!!

I think you're absolutely right there. Many people counter with the argument "tactics are a part of management", which of course they are, but its a matter of degrees. The likes of Kevin Keegan and Peter Reid don't go nearly as deeply into tactics as say Mourinho or Benitez. The problem is the game can't allow for this difference so we all have to be Mourinho, which annoys about 50% of players. If we all had to be Peter Reid(horrible thought) the other 50% would get grumpy. I must admit I wouldn't like to be SI trying to make that balance.

That is exactly the problem with the game now - you need to think like a manager which although this sounds realistic - we ARN'T managers, never will be managers. We're simply a bunch of normal people who want to 'kid' ourselves we could be managers. The more realistic the game becomes the the more it is taking away from the normal person.

My laptop can't handle FM at anything better than a snail's pace. Hopefully will get a new one soon, then I can play. Really craving being able to go through FM at my own pace. Have read some negatives about it but tbh before I joined the forums I never noticed anything wrong with my games and bugs I didn't know about went unnoticed.

Have you thought about downloading the FM09 skin or another unofficial skin to see if that helps?

The FM09 skin isn't out yet is it? (still)

Would a switch to 2D classic help at all? ;)

I already only play in 2D, split screen and instantly was not impressed with the fact that the pitch was horizontal instead of vertical.

The media stuff still goes stale after a little while, I must confess, but I'm not finding it quite as bad as in 09.

must...resist...urge...to...type...

What exactly is it about the tactics you don't like?

The fact that it's completely changed. I never had an issue with the sliders (yes I know I can use classic view) but the game is now geared around the new way of using tactics. I don't understand half the tactical posts on the forums with people on about their inside left defenders and their wingback stoppers and whatnots. It's just totally lost me.

I know that doesn't help much but perhaps the best idea for you is to put FM10 to one side for now

Oh it's well and truely to one side now and won't be picked back up again for the forseeable future, the recent Steam sale has made sure of that :)

I don't think it's a matter of having lost goals in the game, when we say we still enjoy playing FM2009 (too bad ratings and rosters are not up to date though, but it just shows the extent to which we are disappointed by 2010 : i prefer thinking of new goals not tried yet (i've started a game with Man U to play with Cristiano from the start) than having to deal with 2010. Well i ll try the FM2009 skin i read here to see if it could help in any point, but for having played back 2009 last night, for sure this one will remind my favourite and with a big gap).

And people who come from before 2009 to FM2010 obviously will like it. FM has a very new face since 2009 and it's 3D engine, plus a lot of good ideas which appeared there. But what if these people try FM2009 ? Then you could compare, understand, and maybe your favourite version would change.

in the end FM has gone the route of just polishing itself to look "pretty" rather than improving core game play this year since training, scouting and press conferences are poorly developed and frankly, labourious rather than fun and that's before getting to that they've, yet again, failed to address the longevity of the game since long-term games are again implausible (to say the least). all in all combining to serious disheartening of interest in FM for me.

in the end FM has gone the route of just polishing itself to look "pretty" rather than improving core game play this year since training, scouting and press conferences are poorly developed and frankly, labourious rather than fun and that's before getting to that they've, yet again, failed to address the longevity of the game since long-term games are again implausible (to say the least). all in all combining to serious disheartening of interest in FM for me.

Why are long-term games 'implausible'? :confused:

The FM09 skin isn't out yet is it? (still)

I don't know actually.

I quite like the FM10 skin (dark version) now that I've got used to it.

I already only play in 2D, split screen and instantly was not impressed with the fact that the pitch was horizontal instead of vertical.

You don't like 2D classic in TV view or normal view then?

The fact that it's completely changed. I never had an issue with the sliders (yes I know I can use classic view) but the game is now geared around the new way of using tactics. I don't understand half the tactical posts on the forums with people on about their inside left defenders and their wingback stoppers and whatnots. It's just totally lost me.

A lot of this kind of thing is explained in the game when you select the various roles. All of them have a description to explain what that role is all about and what the different duties do.

I loved the sliders as well and I was actually very worried about the introduction of the tactics creator. However, my personal opinion now is that I wouldn't want to go back to the old method of doing things after using the wizard and tactics shouts on the new version. It took a little while but I now understand what the different options do and I know how to get what I want out of them. I'm quite liking the accessibility as well as the option to go a little deeper using the advanced commands when I want to.

Regards,

C.

I am afraid that I disagree with the OP on this one, although I feel his point was well made. Personally, I feel 2010 is really refreshing and having to look for things makes the game more interesting and fresh. It has meant that I have found things again that i hadn't used and also made me think a bit more, which is always a good thing :).

Tactically I have kept with the same tactics I always use and am winning games but also losing some, which I feel is more realistic. I play as Man U and as in real life I have lost to a couple of teams I shouldn't have done and I feel that's more realistic to be fair. I keep my tactics fairly simple and don't change them much and it seems to work.

2010 has refreshed my view on the game but I would love the 'media' aspect to be worked on more.

Having read how much you played FM09 you might simply need a break from playing, if I may dare to suggest.

Everyone goes through phases where things you enjoy sort of dwindles from your interest then comes back.

Happened to me with games a few years back. I stopped playing FM altogether and started playing FM2010 only a week ago.

I once bought a game, and felt exactly how you say you feel right now.

I played this game a year after I purchased it (was bored one evening) and it became one of the most entertaining games I ever played. KOTOR - Star wars - I think was the game

Why are long-term games 'implausible'? :confused:

it's a combination of factors such as other clubs buying poorly with no real strategic reasoning and there aren't enough good level newgens about to challenge my dominance so it's just boring and a straight run from there. not to mention it really gets on my nerves that there's a lot of little things that 'hurt' long term games such as a poorly designed/instigated 'reward' structure and the lack of a connection between seasons because it's basically sort of like starting the same game again, also

i want FM to to make things 'matter', appreciate details and so forth if this makes sense - the realism just dries out the more you play. i just feel there's a lot that could be done to make the game more... 'intimate' or at least relevant to your achievements and so-on, linking your past in the game with the present more etc - as well as constantly providing a challenge because even if you come up from the bottom of the league it's genuinely inevitable you'll end up unchallenged at the top, eventually. which isn't realistic really since the challenge is gone.

I love them game. Have been a player since 08 and have never grown tired of the game.

The MAIN reason I take periods off is the amount of time it takes to get through seasons. The media requests and constant updates slows down the pace of the game. I wish there was a way to micromanage during the transfer windows (tweak training, transfers, tactics etc) and then just fly between games during the non-selling seasons. (Playing games almost back to back to back) I hate sitting down some nights knowing "well, I need to play for 3 more nights to get to the January window", largely because I'm going to have to sift through a thousand relatively pointless messages in the inbox and do press conferences before and after games.

Otherwise I love the game. The tactics have been greatly improved this year. Its possible to understand what tweaks are actually doing on the field and getting a decent tactic that wont lose you games is quite easy. Besides the long shot bug that is plaguing the engine, I find this years tactics/game aspect the best in some time. I spent days and days trying to figure out how to set up tactics in 08/09, but this year it is fairly straight forward, but still has alot of subtlety that we appreciate.

If they ever dial in the pacing of the seasons or give us the ability to add/remove certain monotonous aspects of it, (press conferences, inbox spamming etc) and fix the player valuations, the game will be damn near perfect imo.

Archived