What nonsense!

Frustrated by conceding a 30 yard screamer every game and my defenders inabilities to close down, tackle and generally.....defend (do fullbacks have any defensive use in this game?) I took a break from it, well today I thought...I'll give it another go...yes, that's how it gets you.

So, playing as Sunderland, we're playing Aston Villa at home...after 20 minutes Richard Dunne...yes Richard Dunne blasts in a 25 yard effort that Lampard would be proud of, then Luke Young scores not one, but two, yes two and both were actually crosses that looped over the keeper and seemed to defy the laws of physics in the flight they took into the net! He obviously needs to take lessons from Richard Dunne in shooting.

I really, really want to like this version of the game, but SI are making it very tough.

I'm having the same problem.

The screamers literally are every game. I finished 3rd with Hearts during the 2011/12 season, i brought in better players and had a stronger team all round, however, i was unable to win 9 out of the first 11 games of the 12/13 season, even against lowly opposition, due to stupendous screamers every single match. Not only that, i haven't been able to defend set pieces in any FM 2010 game i've played. For some reason the defenders turn to mush no matter what their stats.

I just find it ridiculous that no matter what formation i play the opposition seem to get balls over the top incredibly easy or crosses leading to goals incredibly easy. Deeper defensive lines cause more crosses and a higher defensive line leads to defenders getting caught out with balls over the top. I tend to play a defensive midfielder or two to try and stomp out all of this nonsense but it makes no difference and it's only to the detriment of my attacking play.

Apart from everything that should have been 'polished', i have one more problem regarding strikers. They don't tend to score too much even when they do have plenty of chances so naturally it gets frustrating. I'm not looking for an easy game, but don't give strikers 15+ pace, 15+ composure and 15+ finishing if it just doesn't work. I have seen more strikers with absolute crap for key attributes score so many against me while i have a 4 ridiculously good strikers barely hitting anything.

Believe me, i have tried a lot of formations with different teams, giving it time to bed in etc. I even tried just a simple flat 4-5-1, defensive formation which was very rigid and basically just concentrated on stopping the opponent from playing, it didn't work. Sometimes as well, the opposition is attacking and i have a few players at the halfway line just standing there, absolutely still, not doing anything. Then when the opposition scores the come to life again, this is very poor.

So, add everything up and you get a very frustrating game, not least because you can't win due to opposition frigging you over, but due to the fact you feel you can't do anything about how your opponent plays.

I really, really want to like this game too, but i just can't with the amount of features that should be 'polished' like they said they would.

Did You guys install the patch. I never played 10.0. Started with 10.1 and never had this long shot problem. Only once that I can remember my Forlan had 3 goals from outside in a one match but that was in 1st round of Spanish cup agenst some team, wasn't Alcorcon :D

Frustrated by conceding a 30 yard screamer every game and my defenders inabilities to close down, tackle and generally.....defend (do fullbacks have any defensive use in this game?) I took a break from it, well today I thought...I'll give it another go...yes, that's how it gets you.

So, playing as Sunderland, we're playing Aston Villa at home...after 20 minutes Richard Dunne...yes Richard Dunne blasts in a 25 yard effort that Lampard would be proud of, then Luke Young scores not one, but two, yes two and both were actually crosses that looped over the keeper and seemed to defy the laws of physics in the flight they took into the net! He obviously needs to take lessons from Richard Dunne in shooting.

I really, really want to like this version of the game, but SI are making it very tough.

I'm sorry to correct you but it's not tough, it's silly. When a 6 Header and 5 Jumping beats a 17 Heading 15 Jumping every single time, it's not toughness, it's just silly. When the opposition shoots a screamer (or two, or three, or as many as AI wants to make us fools to buy "this") from the 30 yard line, with the perfect curve and has a marvellous 5 longshot rating, whenever my 18 longshot boy has scored 1 goal in 27 games with maybe 35/40 attemps total, it's not toughness, it's silly.

I think (as far as I can see by the 3D match representation) that the guys @ SI don't know nothing about math. Trajectories, approximation functions (why the hell you have 2 guys near the ball and the guy who comes close down the oppositon is the foward, who is far far far.... very far away?), and some other minor stuff must be like some sort of magic. Well, we hope that the new patch, with this huge beta tester community, can make the game better. Or not. We'll see. I give up, for me it's time to do other stuff because I play to have fun, not to get stressful.

I'm with you, mate!

Edit: To make things clear, Patch 10.1 here!

Did You guys install the patch. I never played 10.0. Started with 10.1 and never had this long shot problem. Only once that I can remember my Forlan had 3 goals from outside in a one match but that was in 1st round of Spanish cup agenst some team, wasn't Alcorcon :D

Yes, I've installed the patch.

There are lowering down percentage of goals scored from long shots by 20% (1/5 of total number).

However, i am playing as Sunderland to and after 2/3 of the season , no one scored long range goal against me and my players appears to cover attemps reasonably well.I have only players that Sunderland starts game with, was not able to buy, sign or loan anyone so far.

if you post pkm and detailed explanation of which formation and instructions you had at point when you conceded goal,maybe i can figure out why your players were not reacting on possible danger.

Must say I dont get affected by long shots too much, but I tend to push higher up so they really need to shoot from a very long distance.

1 thing I noticed that is if you are getting alot of long shots scored against you, check your keeper.

How is his anticipation? positioning? agility? pace? acceleration? reflex? concentration?

Many long shots conceded is probably the ME's way of telling you it's time to change your keeper.

I agree with the approximation issue tho. It is completely stupid to see the player much further away try to close down/get to a ball while the player next to it just stands and watch.

My other major issue is the number of times strikers run to the corner when one on one. In RL, strikers will always shoot when one on one. However in FM (10.1), on MANY occasions the striker dribble the ball to the side and then cross it back in (which is 90% of the time headed away). I've rarely seen a striker shoot in a one on one, let alone a striker rounding the keeper and then scoring.

I'm sorry to correct you but it's not tough, it's silly. When a 6 Header and 5 Jumping beats a 17 Heading 15 Jumping every single time, it's not toughness, it's just silly. When the opposition shoots a screamer (or two, or three, or as many as AI wants to make us fools to buy "this") from the 30 yard line, with the perfect curve and has a marvellous 5 longshot rating, whenever my 18 longshot boy has scored 1 goal in 27 games with maybe 35/40 attemps total, it's not toughness, it's silly.

Did you check your tactics? Make sure the "Play as if you're a professional footballer" option is activated.

Did you check your tactics? Make sure the "Play as if you're a professional footballer" option is activated.

That's obviously where I'm going wrong. I must have the 'play as if you've never played the game before today' option enabled.

No, it's nothing to do with illegal no cd patches, this is a completely legitimate copy of the game. Pushing up the field, closing down, tight marking, hard tackling, tried the lot...it's not a question of tactics when the likes of Richard Dunne are banging them in from 25 yards and Titus Bramble scores two, one from 20 yards and the other from 30 plus.

Oh, and to top it all Marton Fulop (my reserve keeper) has just scored for me. I decided to play him in midfield (for fun, because I've really given up on this ME until the next patch) and guess what? He scored with a 30 yard screamer! How's that for realism? Outstanding!

Archived