9-10 Seasons in.....Regen problems.

Hey there...

I have just started my 10th season as Arsenal, and had so much fun in doing so, however the lack of good regens is ruining the game. I would say theres only about 5 or 6 real quality regens on the game which have got to the level of a current top player, so you can imagine how much the quality of the game has dipped.

All the top European sides are forced to continue with the real life players from the start of the game ( Prime example is Barca having to play Ibrahimovic until he was 35 with 3 pace ) and the quality of the game has declined, big time. I know i'm playing as Arsenal and i should be doing well, but being able to play my 2nd team and youth players all the way to the 1/4 finals of the CL and most other cup competitions shouldnt be all so possible. All the european elite simply cannot sign enough quality players to make any competition anywhere near competitive. I have a huge advantage obviously, as i snap up a lot of the best talent, but there should be more of it, my reserve side has about 10-15 regens which could turn into good players, 1 or 2 could be worldclass ( got one dubbed the next Platini )

Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have signed very average players for 5 seasons now and are simply not much of a force, same can be said for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus etc etc etc. The only team able to play at any sort of high quality level is Manchester City simply because of the money spent on the real life players which keeps them going, but spending 22 million on a 33 year old CB to keep up is hardly going to keep them there for more than a couple of seasons.

I have asked a few of my friends playing lesser teams and they seem to be having the same problems ( one friend playing as Rotherham is having the same issues as me )

My main issue with the regens is there pretty much all have a 2-3 or even 4 vitals stats for their position, which no ammount of training could possibly recover enough to make them as good as say a......Ashley Young. I realise we shouldnt be getting 5 Ronaldo's and a new Messi or two every season, but theres a total lack of quality in the game for me now, and it feels like 9 seasons wasted. I have had to start a new game to get it anything like competitive again, yeah i could play as a lesser team, but it would only be the same when i get to this stage of the game.

Anyone having such problems?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regens are, from a broad "are they good enough" perspective, quite alright - the CAs at the top level do not go down by all that much. The situation was better last year, but whatever. It's more of a training thing than a PA thing, I think.

One thing, though - the fact that defensive midfielders apparently can't mark in the future has to be worked on. That's pretty much their job. Top-quality centerbacks who eventually "grow up" to have like 10s for jumping should also be in lower numbers than they are now.

More worrisome than the fact that there aren't enough Messis is that you see a lot of the same "types" of players in the center of the pitch - there are only a handful of defensive midfielders who actually defend. This manifests itself in lower levels as much as it manifests itself in higher levels; instead of being able to mark a little, League 2 DMCs and MCs can't mark at all.

Well this is one of the main issues, stats not fitting the position the regen is created for. I have noticed the same problem with the DM's on my save too, they all seem to having better attacking stats than the wingers/strikers.....

Most of the 'top' regen wingers on my game have terrible stats for the position, most of them lacking in pace/off the ball/crossing and ive tried training most of them to be better at this, but no luck at all. The very top regens should have at least basic stats for the position, i can understand one or two vital stats being low so they can grow into good players, but when its 5 or 6 its a little much.

I also noticed most of the best regens come out of the same nations ( kind of realistic, but when you have about 20 brazilain AM to 2 or 3 from other nations its a bit much )

well fm09 was too far in the other direction so it maybe to correct with that. Like on my last game on fm09 10 seasons in there were over 10 players with a pa of over 195 which isnt realistic as the highest rated players now are only a maximum of 195

As long as they can balance regens down the line to where they are a little worse than last year but better than this year, AND, reduce the physical decline of players, then that'll be great. I had no issue signing veteran players last year, and now I won't touch anyone over 30 at all.

If they get these two aspects right, then they will have almost nailed it completely.

As long as they can balance regens down the line to where they are a little worse than last year but better than this year, AND, reduce the physical decline of players, then that'll be great. I had no issue signing veteran players last year, and now I won't touch anyone over 30 at all.

If they get these two aspects right, then they will have almost nailed it completely.

Spot on, 95% of players decline way too much as soon as they hit 30, which is suprising considering how fit players are these days in he modern game.

Am I right in thinking that the more leagues you have loaded - the more top quality regens you'll get in your game?

If this is so - do you need the leagues loaded as Playable? View-only? Or is players loaded from county enough?

Thanks.

Am I right in thinking that the more leagues you have loaded - the more top quality regens you'll get in your game?

If this is so - do you need the leagues loaded as Playable? View-only? Or is players loaded from county enough?

Thanks.

That could well be key.

FM09 i was in 2020 and i'd say 7 of the best 20 players in the world were Mexican, 5 brazil, 3 argentina and 1 or 2 from the big European countries.

If you are playing the dutch league with no other leagues active and a small database at a guess you will find top quality regens hard to come by.

Thanks.

View-only won't work. I don't about simply loading all their players, but I imagine there will be fewer regens from that nation compared to if you had their league as playable. Don't know about the quality though.

A friend called me and said i should download fmscout, and load it up when i startet a new game. See how many players it loaded. And do it again in 5-10 seasons

254,000 players loaded at the start. I loaded it up in 2014 and now there is 144,000. What is that all about..?

In 2020 there should only be around 50,000 players left. Getting tough to get good players. If there is any left

I find the biggest problem in Regens is they do not have stats that fit their positions OR their stats are too jumbled up to define their position!

Defenders with 18 tackling/marking but 8 for jumping, DMCs with 18 for pace and acceleration and strikers with 15 for corners but 10 for off the ball etc.

The most common problem I have seen in screenshots in GPGT: Rate my Regen thread is they do not have good off the ball/positioning attributes.

The most common problem I have seen in screenshots in GPGT: Rate my Regen thread is they do not have good off the ball/positioning attributes.

Very true. OTB / positioning is really bad and many times cannot improve to a reasonable level.

The other problem being players are all too one-dimensional. e.g. all strikers can jump / head and have pace / acceleration, whereas irl there are different kinds of strikers e.g. Defoe vs Crouch.

Very true. OTB / positioning is really bad and many times cannot improve to a reasonable level.

The other problem being players are all too one-dimensional. e.g. all strikers can jump / head and have pace / acceleration, whereas irl there are different kinds of strikers e.g. Defoe vs Crouch.

Might do well for them to try to produce "types" of players instead of what seems like a fairly random stat distribution. Or at least do a better job of tying key stats to position.

what leagues are you running Joger? if your playing on the large database the game will load much more players then you would have currently selected in your playable leagues/retain clubs setup

im running England - Italy - Spain - Large database

And have loaded players from nation - brazil - argentina - europe - france - germany - eastern europe - and a few others i cant remember

But i have to run the leagues Brazil - Germany etc..?

I was running 20 leagues on large database on fm2009 and i noticed a huge problem with regens too.

There was a few good ones around but not as near the amount that should have been, i was in year 2025 and

there was only 1 world class keeper in the whole game/world.

sadly, it ruined the game for me, and i quit and uninstalled. surely S.I. must be working on

long term games, as this problem has been around for years now.

Quite disappointing to read this, I was hoping SI's assurance that they've looked into the long term games would pull through.

Can other players that have played the game for many season come and confirm/deny this?

It's heartbreaking if the game is only "realistic" for a couple of seasons.

If this is a problem, I suggest we really create some noise so they might look at it for the third patch, otherwise it's another year of waiting!

I am up to 2016 but talent is very thin on the ground, losing much point to playing for me.By now I would have expected a few top shelf players for most positions, players with high pa's appear but they just aren't much good at playing.

2016 is only 7 seasons? That is quite scary if it starts collapsing that soon!

The game actually starts to fall apart after 3-4 seasons. Even after that short amount of time no team has a reserve squad any more, and it's hard to find anyone to loan if you are a lower league club. Strangely the number of total players in the game doesn't fall off, the AI just cuts their squad to the bare bones and lower league clubs barely have enough players to fill the bench.

I made similar criticisms in a thread I started and I’m reposting them here.

The last version I played was 2007 and it was very good apart from obvious flaws in the way newgens were generated.

Physical attributes were too closely tied to PA meaning it was near impossible to find pacey lower league strikers or big strong and tall target men playing bellow the top division.

The other problem was that some attributes are IRL much more likely to occur in conjunction with others it’s very rare to see a good dribbler with poor technique or a good penalty taker who is a poor finisher these relationships were not recreated by the game.

The last and most important problem was the way the attributes were created seemed to take no account of the attributes relationships with one another and the fact some high stat values are way more useful when they occur with others. E.g. aggression and tackling, Jumping and heading, finishing and composure, creativity and decisions.

When a new player is created attributes are assigned based on position and CA. The CA determines the total value of all 49 stats and the attributes are awarded in such a way that the ones deemed vital to the player’s natural position get higher values. The problem is that to the computer the two players out lined bellow have the same value.

Player A: Loyalty 20, Consistency 1, others attributes those of a top class centre-back

Player B: Loyalty 1, Consistency 20, other attributes exactly the same as player A

To the computer these two look, while being created, to be equal but in reality Player A is an infuriating underachiever who will either warm the bench of a top class team for most of his career, or slip down the leagues until the standard is such that his average level of performance earns him a spot and his occasional top class displays are just a bonus. While Player B will likely flit about between big clubs in Europe putting in consistently excellent displays were ever he goes.

SI employee Riz responded with

I'm going to have to ask about this one as it seems a bit odd... If no newgens ever started with low figures in some attributes, in the long term there would be no-one in the game with low values in these attributes. Especially as concentration is likely to improve as the player ages and bravery could also still improve in some cases. What is the point of having the attribute range start from 1 if newgens starting out at such value in some attributes is considered a problem ?
The problem isn’t that some players start with low attributes but the kind of player who is starting with low attributes and which attributes are low.

You may have X number of players with Bravery 1 in the initial BD and after a soak test the number of players with Bravery 1 might be exactly the same but the players with Bravery 1 will look very different.

In the DB these players entered by researchers will almost all be creative players who don’t have defensive responsibilities that would require them to tackle often.

The Newgen players with Bravery 1 will crop up in positions that require Bravery DMs who have the stats to be hard working ball winners but routinely pull out of 50-50s etc.

The other problem is that these Low Attributes are appearing too often in high PA players.

As I said in my first post one low stat can drastically affect his performance levels.

The scouted players don’t have this prevalence of low attributes in the top class players.

A high CA player with a low stat in a key attribute will perform significantly worse then his CA would indicate

After thirty game years, while the number of players in the game with a PA of 120 (for example) might be exactly the same as the number in the initial DB. If 33% of those players have a key attribute so low they never perform to championship standard then the pool of championship players has shrunk by a third.

IRL its performance levels that determine which youngsters are given youth contracts and players who perform below the level of their peers are not offered contracts even if they do have some impressive skills when looked at in isolation.

Riz do you work on the Newgen code?

What really annoys me is that compared to the match engine and the transfer system this seams like a relatively easily solved problem

This is amazing, I just logged in to start an exact same thread. I am in 2016 now and the regens are crap! TOTAL RUBBISH! It is unbelievable. It seems like the game exists only for people who play two seasons and then start again. Why cannot that be fixed? WHY? I see attributes that are so bad, I wonder if they are footballers or pensioners. I was enjoying my save up to now...

This is amazing, I just logged in to start an exact same thread. I am in 2016 now and the regens are crap! TOTAL RUBBISH! It is unbelievable. It seems like the game exists only for people who play two seasons and then start again. Why cannot that be fixed? WHY? I see attributes that are so bad, I wonder if they are footballers or pensioners. I was enjoying my save up to now...

get used to it mate,i had the same problem, got to 2024/2025 and the regens were dire, not worth continuing

Dont see the point if they cant release a game that is 'long term' playable

I'm gonna change every team in top couple divisions of england italy and spain to 20 youth and training and start a long game. Got to 2030 on FM09 and the regens were pretty good but sod all goalkeepers. Guess it can only help by doing this, plus much more variation on teams improving hopefully!

SI really needs to start introducing templates for newgen players - I'm starting to think regens are better than newgens as it will at least mean we can some decent players.

The annoying thing is, SI already have templates because the roles highlight what is important.

My recommendation is:

Newgens get a role, and then a PA.

And then based on the PA, it gets 50% of it as CA. (even this can be randomly generated - range it from 30 to 70)

The CA is then spread out evenly according to the template. (preferably spread out weightedly if the templates contains the weighting)

Then for each role-specific attribute, randomly add/minus a figure between -2/2 to the value.

For the rest of the values, just fill in randomly with the cap set depending on the CA.

Finally, all those mental (hard to change) values - eg ambition, bravery, determination - are adjusted to sane values given the PA.

That way, while each newgen is based on a role, we have alot of variation in terms of the players available.

And to be honest, this process should be quite simple to write and very quick to execute compared to the face generation/bio generation.

Some of the regens in my 2039 thread didn't look too bad.

some....

i thought wesley kortsmit, the top scorer in the premiere league was actually fairly poor.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...eyKortsmit.png

yes he is quick, but passing 9, off the ball 11?

i dont think United would even purchase a player for the first team who is that poor at passing.

again in wesley you can see the ridiculous combination of attributes that you would be unlikely to see in a real life player.

creativity 15, and yet passing 9?

technique 16 - yet hie is poor at "technical" skills e.g passing 9, long shots 7, free kicks, 7 and finishing only 13.

I have read the various posts in this thread I have to say that the quality of regens is below par and the illogical disrtibution of attributes is easy to see. SI need to change something here as it is clearly not working and means that we cannot have long term saves or we can but our enjoyment is greatly reduced becasue of the problems that people have mentioned.

Please SI - non of these fancy other gimmicks and what not - please sort out the regens/newgens please!!!!! :)

I made similar criticisms in a thread I started and I’m reposting them here.

SI employee Riz responded with

What really annoys me is that compared to the match engine and the transfer system this seams like a relatively easily solved problem

good post, you point about players performing badly because they have ridiculously low attributes in core skills is a very good point.

if you compare a championship standard player with a player in the premiership (both in real life and in the fm database) then in general you will find that in general they are just a little bit worse at everything. e.g a defender might be a bit slower, cant jump as high, a little worse at marking etc etc

what you will not see is many players who are ridiculously poor at certain skills, but ok at others.

in my opinion the game should be producing regens who are reasonably well rounded players.

e.g for players starting at a decent club you shouldnt see many attributes below 8.

if they have a mediocre potential then they will end up being a decent league 1 or 2 player.

a player with high potential should be more likely to have very promising starting attributes - and would obviously have the scope to improve more.

p.s the game is throwing out SOME decent regens as will be seen in various threads on this forum, however let that not conceal the fact that it is also failing to produce enough well rounded players to keep the game interesting.

Last post seems spot on to me, as well as the idea of players with "templates" for their starting attributes (slightly randomized w/in the template). The way the game starts, there are already players that fit these "templates" with a reasonable amount of accuracy, simply because players in real life tend to train for a particular position, each of which has a "template" of skills that they need to develop to be a solid striker, right back, hold midfielder and so on; obviously there is variation from player to player but for the most parts players have attributes that play towards certain roles--most regens do not, and this is a big problem for the game long term. So if you can get the game generate regens within similar templates, the overall distribution of stats wouldn't really change at all, would it? The way the current system works, the overall balance of attributes may stay similar, but the overall amount of players that fit certain positions (which allows the game to maintain its longevity) is way off, which is really what SI should be more concerned about IMO.

I was running 20 leagues on large database on fm2009 and i noticed a huge problem with regens too.

There was a few good ones around but not as near the amount that should have been, i was in year 2025 and

there was only 1 world class keeper in the whole game/world.

sadly, it ruined the game for me, and i quit and uninstalled. surely S.I. must be working on

long term games, as this problem has been around for years now.

Been a problem for years that has never really been addressed tbh.

Well, FM 09 sucks tactically, but I simply cannot agree that this has been around for years, if we mean "for years" includes FM 2008.

Playing FM 2008, this career I haven't played for a long time. In game, year 2023, I tried to estimate/guess my players' CA. All players are regens. After quitting my career, I checked out actual CA's. Results there.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/caestimation.jpg

First my estimation, then actual and lastly difference.

Because that career is destroyed long time ago, now I check out my players' PA with FM scout. I have that save game stored, created 14.9.2008

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/cafirstteam.jpg

Cannot see any PA-problem on my first team. For those who want sorted by PA

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/pafirstteam.jpg

Reserves squad have some rubbish players but also many gems

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/careserves1.jpg

And sorted by PA...

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/pareserves.jpg

Of course, many players are just rubbish, but there are 199, 194, 193, 189*4, 188*2, 186*2, 184*4...

U-18 team

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/u18ca.jpg

And for those who want sorted by PA...

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/u18pa.jpg

Now, I have FM scout open, let's see ALL high potential players, not just playes in my squad

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/paall.jpg

Well, Crystal Palace certainly had good scouting team, but there was MANY talents to be found. Next page

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/paall2.jpg

And next

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/paall3.jpg

Quickly cheked out same thing on 2026, three years later. For top PA, here was one more player with PA 199 and another with 198.

Sorry but on FM 2008, I simply cannot agree with this "regen PA problem".

I will investigate FM 2010 after I start playing it and do not comment it yet.

I thought last year's regens were the best in years, perhaps in any version. They were actually as good as the existing players for once!

This year they're rubbish - using FM Scout (in the third season) you can see that only one player 19 and under has a potential scout rating above 80% (the top 69 players aged 20 and over in the current game have this) and only about 20 have potential above 75% (100s of the older real life players are this good). So one world-class starlet and 20 decent premier league quality! I have about eight leagues loaded including Brazil and S America.

It would be *amazing* if this could be tuned using the patch as I'm already getting bored of this save.

EDIT:

I've done some more analysis using FM Scout. The regen with the highest PA (198) is set to be as good as Quaresma (I won't name his PA but it's not giving much away to say that 198 is higher than Ronaldo and Messi). If Genie is right then he will, at 198 CA, have decisions 6, determination 9, flair 5, positioning 3 (he is a winger).

The next highest (197 so still higher than the two best players in the world currently) is a fullback who's set to become as good as Azpilicueta (who?!). He is quite fast but average technically and has key stats like strength, stamina, jumping, heading, determination, concentration, aggression, bravery, natural fitness, passing and first touch in the 9-11 range!

We also have a DRC with the same PA as Aguero. His tackling will max out at 7! And he has 14 stats below 10. Eh?

Finally, a striker also as good as Aguero. Genie says he will never get better than Hugo Almeida. Bizarrely, he should end up with 20 for dribbling and technique but only 7 for passing! And mentally he's again all over the place with flair, teamwork and work rate 16-19 but other stats like anticipation, bravery, concentration, decisions 10 or under. Sounds like the perfect example of a headless chicken - and yet the high teamwork could see him waste what might be his 'niche' (unstoppable run towards the opposition goal - he has finishing 15, pace and acc 13, and composure 12, so not awful there).

I hate to say it, but... sortitoutsi!

JAT, our issue isn't the fact there are no players with decent CA/PA.

Our issue is that the newgen plays have very strange/ineffective skill distribution, which your analysis won't show.

I am hoping that someone from SI will come in here and reassure us something will be done in the patch, but I doubt it.

This is really quite disappointing - even worse than the constant crashes for me.

I can autosave to limit the damage of the crashes, but there's NOTHING i can do about this.

Echo-ing what bluebeard said : sortitoutsi!

=================

EDIT

=================

I actually thought of another even-easier fix for this.

To create a newgen for a certain position, simply go to the database and copy a 17 yr old for that position.

This player should be randomly selected from the pool of 17 yr old for that position.

Now random the PA for this newgen.

Then for each attribute (regardless of position), if it is an attribute that can be easier changed via training, randomly modify the value by something between -3 and 3 (15% up or down).

If attribute cannot be easily changed, then modify it by something between -1 and 1. (5% up or down)

Now calculate the CA.

In the unlikely circumstance that the new CA is now higher than the PA (highly unlikely as we based this on a youth, so there should've been a large CA/PA gap), simply move the PA to be equal to the CA. (ie. this newgen will not improve). Or re-generate the PA until it is higher than the CA.

This way the distribution should be somewhat realistic while there being a lot less calculations involved.

JAT, our issue isn't the fact there are no players with decent CA/PA.

Our issue is that the newgen plays have very strange/ineffective skill distribution, which your analysis won't show.

And this is quite easilly explained.

Free attributes on FM 2008 (and probably on FM2009): http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/freeattributes.html

So even with not any "regen templates", high CA regens should have high or at least not crappy attributes on those skills that are needed in positions they play. Central defenders, for example, will probably have high Marking, Tackling etc, but for strikers those attributes will likely be much more crappy.

As for FM 2010: http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/freeattributes2010.html

There are virtually no difference between positions. So with no "regen templates", we should get many strikers with good marking, positioning etc. So while FM 2008 is quite fine even with no "regen templates" FM 2010 really needs them.

Why to change this? Well, on FM 2008/2009 CA points are divided into skills from "pool" that increases while amount of free attributes decrease. In other words, if we compare DC and DC/DM with same CA, DC/DM will most likely have much better attributes than DC. With FM 2010 we do not have this problem, but still, there must be good "regen templates" because otherwise game just cannot create proper regens on its own.

And yes, this is problem in FM 2010 if SI don't adjust these regen attribute weightings as game cannot do it "itself" any more.

Someone showed many players who have high PA. We know those players exist. The problem is they have completely disjoined attributes. This is highly unrealistic.

Up to know I thought the game was great and the only aspect that reduced its realism was the tactics sliders. Now there is another thing: HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IN THE YEARS FOLLOWING 2009 THE WORLD DOES NOT PRODUCED GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS ANYMORE?

Well, FM 09 sucks tactically, but I simply cannot agree that this has been around for years, if we mean "for years" includes FM 2008.

Playing FM 2008, this career I haven't played for a long time. In game, year 2023, I tried to estimate/guess my players' CA. All players are regens. After quitting my career, I checked out actual CA's. Results there.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/caestimation.jpg

First my estimation, then actual and lastly difference.

Because that career is destroyed long time ago, now I check out my players' PA with FM scout. I have that save game stored, created 14.9.2008

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/cafirstteam.jpg

Cannot see any PA-problem on my first team. For those who want sorted by PA

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/pafirstteam.jpg

Reserves squad have some rubbish players but also many gems

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/careserves1.jpg

And sorted by PA...

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/pareserves.jpg

Of course, many players are just rubbish, but there are 199, 194, 193, 189*4, 188*2, 186*2, 184*4...

U-18 team

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/u18ca.jpg

And for those who want sorted by PA...

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/u18pa.jpg

Now, I have FM scout open, let's see ALL high potential players, not just playes in my squad

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/paall.jpg

Well, Crystal Palace certainly had good scouting team, but there was MANY talents to be found. Next page

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/paall2.jpg

And next

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fmr2008/palace/potential/paall3.jpg

Quickly cheked out same thing on 2026, three years later. For top PA, here was one more player with PA 199 and another with 198.

Sorry but on FM 2008, I simply cannot agree with this "regen PA problem".

I will investigate FM 2010 after I start playing it and do not comment it yet.

no one is saying that there are no high pa players.

we are saying that too often players are sabotaged by poor distribution of attributes.

just having a high pa/ca does not mean that a player is any good.

in fact if a player has a very low rating in a critical attribute - e.g marking, off the ball, bravery then they will perform much worse than their pa/ca would suggest.

Archived