Football Managerâ„¢2008 Handheld Has Gone Gold

• SI Staff

London (November 7th 2007) – Sports Interactive and SEGA Europe Ltd today announced that Football Manager™ 2008 Handheld, the latest incarnation of the most in depth, and best selling, handheld football management game in the world, has gone gold and will be released on the 30th of November.

Football Manager™ 2008 Handheld will contain a host of new features including a brand new skin, eagerly awaited customisable tactics, enhanced player interaction and the addition of reserve squads, which doubles the number of players at the manager’s disposal to retain it’s crown as the most accessible football management game on the market.

Fans of the series are able to take their favourite game out with them on the move, to the pub, and even to football matches. Players can use their well-thought tactics to take on other player’s teams using the PSP’s wireless function for a real test of who is the best manager, using any team available in the game, or their own team from their own saved game.

Football Managerâ„¢2008 Handheld will be released across Europe for Sony PSP on the 30th of November in English, Spanish, French and Italian.

For more information about Football Managerâ„¢ 2008 Handheld and all other Football Managerâ„¢ titles please visit www.sigames.com or www.footballmanager.net. For assets please visit www.sega-press.com. For more information on all SEGA titles please visit www.sega-europe.com.

• SI Staff

London (November 7th 2007) – Sports Interactive and SEGA Europe Ltd today announced that Football Manager™ 2008 Handheld, the latest incarnation of the most in depth, and best selling, handheld football management game in the world, has gone gold and will be released on the 30th of November.

Football Manager™ 2008 Handheld will contain a host of new features including a brand new skin, eagerly awaited customisable tactics, enhanced player interaction and the addition of reserve squads, which doubles the number of players at the manager’s disposal to retain it’s crown as the most accessible football management game on the market.

Fans of the series are able to take their favourite game out with them on the move, to the pub, and even to football matches. Players can use their well-thought tactics to take on other player’s teams using the PSP’s wireless function for a real test of who is the best manager, using any team available in the game, or their own team from their own saved game.

Football Managerâ„¢2008 Handheld will be released across Europe for Sony PSP on the 30th of November in English, Spanish, French and Italian.

For more information about Football Managerâ„¢ 2008 Handheld and all other Football Managerâ„¢ titles please visit www.sigames.com or www.footballmanager.net. For assets please visit www.sega-press.com. For more information on all SEGA titles please visit www.sega-europe.com.

• SI Staff

There aren't any additional countries added into the game (ie. no selectable nations).

There are some more leagues in Germany because of the restructure that takes place after the first season where Third Div & Regional West are both added ...

There are also a few new Cup competitions in some nations such as the Conference League Cup and Portuguese League Cup.

Shame that there are no new leagues. There are a few lower tier European leagues that have been virtual mainstays of the CM series since CM3 that I enjoy for their added challenge - the Scandinavian leagues are great fun to manage in. I was also hoping that the remaining UK and Irish leagues would find their way into the game with this iteration.

Not just so I can manage my local side, but also because I love the two-tiered approach these leagues bring, as you can dominate the local league whilst trying to establish yourself in Europe - be good in England, and you're good in Europe virtually by default. As it is, we're largely left with Scotland or Belgium, which has always been an odd inclusion anyhow. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

As you might have guessed from the league comments I'm allowed to gossip about features and suchlike now also icon_biggrin.gif

Main things are:

* Flexible tactics editing (ie. you can customise tactics by dragging players around etc.)

* Improvements to editing (editing of managers and also changes to how 'failures' during reading an edit file are handled)

* Live League Table during matches

* Live scores during matches

* Player interaction (Praise & Criticism)

* Improvements to the speed of the game engine (making it much faster to process matches now).

* Reserve teams (giving much larger squads for huamsn icon_biggrin.gif)

* Updated database and competitions from around the world.

* Additional Contract stuff.

* Position display screen (ala FM PC)

* New skin (skin from prior version is retained and available for people who prefer that one)

* Various minor improvements to gameplay either via. improved UI, gameplay or just tweaking of existing items.

(and yeah I've undoubtably forgotten a fair bit bits and pieces - hence the 'cover all' at the end - this is just a top of the head list - I'm not a PR person so bear with me, I am however happy to answer any questions people might have now I'm allowed to)

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

Has the radar chart been added from the PC version? If not, make that top of the list for FMH 2009, please (well, second after new leagues).

It perfectly suits the handheld game, I reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The positions screen (showing where a player can play in detail) has been put in FMH, but the radar one hasn't - if enough people want it then its something we can obviously consider for the next version.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vane:

I take it that it will be much harder to for low/ medium rep clubs to sign young superstars this time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

Can you tell us some of the new names on the database and whether some old favs have stayed and/or returned?

Has the bug to add your name in been fixed?

Will there be more job offers and transfer bid from other teams?

• SI Staff

Vane - no, it didn't go gold some time ago. We went into submission at Sony some time ago, and they got back to us on certification within their normal timeframe.

A game isn't gold until it's in manufacture. That happened on Tuesday. We then had to work out a release date from there, based on manufacturing times, distribution times, printing times and the like, which we (as in Sega & SI) got sorted in less than 24 hours, which is pretty damn fast work, then the announcement came.

can you please guarentee to me that it is defiantely coming out on the 30th november as it is my sons birthday on the 1st december i dont want to promise it to him if i cant guarentee it thanks for your time<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

For more information about Football Managerâ„¢ 2008 Handheld and all other Football Managerâ„¢ titles please visit www.sigames.com or www.footballmanager.net. For assets please visit www.sega-press.com. For more information on all SEGA titles please visit www.sega-europe.com. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">can you please guarentee to me that it is defiantely coming out on the 30th november as it is my sons birthday on the 1st december i dont want to promise it to him if i cant guarentee it thanks for your time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cant remember a time when a game which was in production came out late - there have been a few times when its been moved forward (if a shop sells copies early) - but dates once announced are normally pretty good.

PS - Bear in mind I had no idea if this is a world-wide ship date or just a UK/European one, Miles might be able to clarify this.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridley99:

Can you tell us some of the new names on the database and whether some old favs have stayed and/or returned? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm hoping to get around to working on the editor next week - once thats ready you'll all be able to see them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has the bug to add your name in been fixed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will there be more job offers and transfer bid from other teams? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

hi just wanted to know if you can confirm that fm2008 handheld will 100 per cent be out on november 30th my sons birthday on 1st dec dont want to tell him he is getting game if date could change thanks.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

For more information about Football Managerâ„¢ 2008 Handheld and all other Football Managerâ„¢ titles please visit www.sigames.com or www.footballmanager.net. For assets please visit www.sega-press.com. For more information on all SEGA titles please visit www.sega-europe.com. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hi just wanted to know if you can confirm that fm2008 handheld will 100 per cent be out on november 30th my sons birthday on 1st dec dont want to tell him he is getting game if date could change thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 99% certain it'll be out on that date - I've never known a game to go into production and then have a late release put it that way.

thanks a lot marc for the speedy response i told my son he cant wait looking forward to the game thanks again.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hi just wanted to know if you can confirm that fm2008 handheld will 100 per cent be out on november 30th my sons birthday on 1st dec dont want to tell him he is getting game if date could change thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 99% certain it'll be out on that date - I've never known a game to go into production and then have a late release put it that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that it's gone gold, is there any chance we can actually find a list of new features?

More importantly, how is it different to FMH 2007 to justify a new purchase?

Admittedly I felt a bit burnt after getting both FMH and FMH2007. I didn't think it was worth the price of a new game for basically an expansion pack.

It sounds like two of the most important improvements have been made. Customisable tactics are a huge step forwards, and making it harder for small clubs to sign young superstars is a great step towards realism.

I hope/assume the new game works fine on old PSPs and isn't reliant on the faster processor (or whatever it is, I'm no techie) of the new PSP Lite.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shrekiejai:

Now that it's gone gold, is there any chance we can actually find a list of new features?

More importantly, how is it different to FMH 2007 to justify a new purchase?

Admittedly I felt a bit burnt after getting both FMH and FMH2007. I didn't think it was worth the price of a new game for basically an expansion pack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted a rough list off the top of my head earlier on in the thread.

FMH2008 is an evolution of the previous game in a similar way that FMH2007, I think its a much better game but its up to everyone to decide for themselves if they want to purchase it obviously.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lowlife70:

I hope/assume the new game works fine on old PSPs and isn't reliant on the faster processor (or whatever it is, I'm no techie) of the new PSP Lite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it works fine on the older PSP's and has been optimised to make it considerably faster also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leeds for ever:

The best thing about FMH is that on cold winter nights, you can curl up into a comfortable chair with the fire light and play it all night long. Sure, you can play FM on a laptop but it's just not the same icon_smile.gif Thats when I play FMH the most anyway... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, in comfort on the sofa in front of the Telly. No sitting at a desk or balancing a burning hot laptop on your lap.

If I'm not playing FMH in bed, it's usually in front of the telly during Match of the Day or something, occasionally glancing up as a goal goes in and certainly back to the game when Lineker and co start talking rubbish.

On the weekend of release though I just lie on the sofa with Soccer Saturday on. It's the most blissful six hours of any given year.

I can never sleep until about 3 hours after going to bed. I normally play FMH for a few hours but I haven't been playing it recently so the new version will be a awesome icon_wink.gif

I was actually proud I was the first to unlock all of the unlockables. I wanna get that achivement again this year too! Any news on new unlockables in FMH08?

More transfer offers from other teams sounds good, I hope it really is changed. It's so annoying transfer-listing a useless/complaining player and getting zero offers for him.

And will the reserve squads actually have any players in it who are worth playing, and not just in irrelevant matches?

And Marc, just a reminder you said you might suggest to the team having the option of slower text commentary but less highlights in a match (so readable commentary with quick matches) for FMH 09, please can you make sure that isn't forgotten about because that would make my day, and lots of other peoples!

Does this mean that when the speed is on medium, you still have to read the highlights of every minute of the match (like in 07 )compared to the 06 version where it would skip a few minutes and give you text highlights of key events only ???

I think in 07 in the text speed is on fast then it has less highlights, but on slow there are more highlights. And the hope for 09 is that we will be able to have slow text speed so we can read everything during each highlight, but have less highlights overall so that match is still reasonably quick to complete.

Also, do you still have to earn the right to manage a national side or is that option available straight away? And how many national sides can you choose from? I see 5 on one screenshot, with no home nations, but surely there has to be more than that :p

Out of interest, when you manage a national side, how do you choose players to call up to the England (for example) squad? Surely the PSP version wouldn't be capable of having the massive national pool that the PC and 360 versions have, so how does it work?

Another suggestion for FMH 2009:

Instead of having a screen listing all the players and their player instructions, how about showing one player name at the top, with all his stats in columns, with his matching (or nearest match) player instructions in columns next to them.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ianinuk:

Also, do you still have to earn the right to manage a national side or is that option available straight away? And how many national sides can you choose from? I see 5 on one screenshot, with no home nations, but surely there has to be more than that :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You still have to unlock the ability to manage a national side - this is intentional as I feel its something you should earn by good play and it makes your first international position feel 'special' when you obtain it.

There are many more than 5 nations available - the exact ones available depend on the initial nation selected (because the database load differs from active nation to active nation).

I suppose that's fair that you have to unlock it...now I just have to try and find out which nations come under which initial nation.

Would it be possible to have a sticky topic for possible features for future versions for the different platforms and versions of Football Manager & Football Manager Handheld? Personally I've got lots of ideas, many of which I'm sure would be very feasible and popular with FM and FMH fans.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would it be possible to have a sticky topic for possible features for future versions for the different platforms and versions of Football Manager & Football Manager Handheld? Personally I've got lots of ideas, many of which I'm sure would be very feasible and popular with FM and FMH fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll probably kick one off a little after release (or you can email me if you'd prefer - marc.vaughan@sigames.com) at the moment we've loads of sticky posts so I'd prefer not to add any more clutter if possible ...

Archived