Got anything else to throw at me, Mr. FM!?

A few weeks ago (in game), i decided that my Notts Co had neither the money nor the stature to attract good enough players for me to compete at winning anything worthy, which would help my long term goal of becoming Inter manager (Sunday League Player here). So, after 8 offers from abroad which didn't look attractive enough, there came the Tottenham offer, they were really struggling, but still had good finances and a good team, needless to say, i took the offer up.

The team was struggling, low morale, everything was crap there, but i thought i could turn it around. I was wrong, it's been 4 matches and i have yet to record a win, but all 4 of them the media claim that i have deserved to win, and the stats say so too, i had double their shots, and not many long shots either. So, here come my complains:

While i understand that a team in struggling times and low confidence such as this with Tottenham could and should be dropping points, but this is just the totally WRONG WAY to do this by the match engine and FM in general, it needs fixed.

1.I seem to dominate and play much better than my opponents, if i'm not in form, we should NOT be doing that.

2.The way to stop me from winning is by making my 4 strikers (Crouch, Defoe, Keane and Pavlychenko) miss at least 3-4 1on1s a match (i said AT LEAST), NOT the way hte match engine should be stopping me).

3.The last two matches i drew were because i conceded OFFSIDE goals, yes i replied it, let it play SLOWLY, and yes it was OFFSIDE.

You should never have ago at the game mate, this place is full of fanboys who'll hunt you down. I agree the game has problems, not gamebreaking, but have put me off playing till the patch fixes them(hopefully). The match engine does tend to stop you scoring so that the other team can take the easy chances, even if the have rubbish forwards and you have great ones, it appears to be designed that way, hopefully i'm wrong and overreacting, but the ME tends to favour the AI alot. Cue the asault from fanboys with heads in sand.

You should never have ago at the game mate, this place is full of fanboys who'll hunt you down. I agree the game has problems, not gamebreaking, but have put me off playing till the patch fixes them(hopefully). The match engine does tend to stop you scoring so that the other team can take the easy chances, even if the have rubbish forwards and you have great ones, it appears to be designed that way, hopefully i'm wrong and overreacting, but the ME tends to favour the AI alot. Cue the asault from fanboys with heads in sand.

:rolleyes:

There have been plenty of real life examples of what the OP has said. Speaking as a fan of a relegated team, last season i saw Micheal Owen, Martins, Viduka and Lovenkrands miss a hatful of easy chances, games that we dominated and got nothing from, decisions to disallow goals that, as yet, has still not been shown up as having anything wrong with it.

May i also add that performances breed confidence. More dominating OP and you'll soon turn it round.

May i also add that performances breed confidence. More dominating OP and you'll soon turn it round.

That's actually the only good thing out of these matches so far, my players seem to get their morale higher even by losing.

That never happens. It used to be the case that calling people "fanboy" carried an infraction. After all, what's the point hurling insults just because someone disagrees with you? If you disagree with someone, perhaps you should work on putting together a coherent, well thought out argument instead of calling people "fanboy" just because of their particular opinion.

In any case, this forum is full of complaints, and full of people agreeing with those complaints.

A few weeks ago (in game), i decided that my Notts Co had neither the money nor the stature to attract good enough players for me to compete at winning anything worthy, which would help my long term goal of becoming Inter manager (Sunday League Player here). So, after 8 offers from abroad which didn't look attractive enough, there came the Tottenham offer, they were really struggling, but still had good finances and a good team, needless to say, i took the offer up.

The team was struggling, low morale, everything was crap there, but i thought i could turn it around. I was wrong, it's been 4 matches and i have yet to record a win, but all 4 of them the media claim that i have deserved to win, and the stats say so too, i had double their shots, and not many long shots either. So, here come my complains:

While i understand that a team in struggling times and low confidence such as this with Tottenham could and should be dropping points, but this is just the totally WRONG WAY to do this by the match engine and FM in general, it needs fixed.

1.I seem to dominate and play much better than my opponents, if i'm not in form, we should NOT be doing that.

2.The way to stop me from winning is by making my 4 strikers (Crouch, Defoe, Keane and Pavlychenko) miss at least 3-4 1on1s a match (i said AT LEAST), NOT the way hte match engine should be stopping me).

3.The last two matches i drew were because i conceded OFFSIDE goals, yes i replied it, let it play SLOWLY, and yes it was OFFSIDE.

:eek:

You mean to tell me that linesman and referees get decisions wrong?

Shocker. That never happens in real life.

A few weeks ago (in game), i decided that my Notts Co had neither the money nor the stature to attract good enough players for me to compete at winning anything worthy

is this true? because ive just started a Notts County game with the intention of eventually being a big team, but reading that makes me feel the whole thing is pointless

is this true? because ive just started a Notts County game with the intention of eventually being a big team, but reading that makes me feel the whole thing is pointless

They have 20,000+ capacity ground, good initial investment and the potential - more so than a few other teams at that level to make it big. You might not get bankrolled comfortably all the way there, but with prudent investment in the beginning, making sure you don't go gung-ho with the spending and do it properly the premiership within 6-7 years would be easily achievable.

As for tottenham and 1 on 1's and squandering chances, see Stoke vs Tottenham :D lol, but it can take 3/4 months in good conditions to find your feet at a team. If things are bad, you don't have any money to try and change it right now and are stuck in a rut, it could take up to 12 months. You can't just join and expect it all to turn around within a week.

Going to be boring and offer some advice.

How able are you to motivate players with your teamtalks? This isn't the same as building up their morale - cuddling players to build their morale even when their performances are stinking can often backfire into them just not doing enough to win a game. What I mean is sending them out so that when you check the motivation screen (home stats or away stats > view > motivation) it says 'playing with confidence' or 'fired up' or something even better, or at very, very minimum 'playing ok'.

What kind of chances are you creating? One-on-ones statistically favour the goalkeeper. One-on-ones where the striker doesn't have or is unable to create an angle make the chance even more difficult. Having 20 shots from poor positions outside the area doesn't mean you should score more than someone who shoots twice from two yards out into an empty net. Are you creating easy chances (ie two yard tap-ins from crosses into the box) for your strikers to put away?

Offside goals suck. Such is life. If it's happening a lot, bug report it with a PKM in the right part of the forum in case this is really a bug (whether too many bad decisions being made or the match engine not being accurately rendered in 3d) and not just a case of very bad luck with awful officials or even a case of the viewing angle deceiving your eye.

They have 20,000+ capacity ground, good initial investment and the potential - more so than a few other teams at that level to make it big. You might not get bankrolled comfortably all the way there, but with prudent investment in the beginning, making sure you don't go gung-ho with the spending and do it properly the premiership within 6-7 years would be easily achievable.

As for tottenham and 1 on 1's and squandering chances, see Stoke vs Tottenham :D lol, but it can take 3/4 months in good conditions to find your feet at a team. If things are bad, you don't have any money to try and change it right now and are stuck in a rut, it could take up to 12 months. You can't just join and expect it all to turn around within a week.

I reached Premiership in back to back promotions, but was finding it hard to get quality players for EPL, which ruined it for me. As i said, my long-term goal is becoming Inter manager, Notts were only supposed to give me fame.

Going to be boring and offer some advice.

How able are you to motivate players with your teamtalks? This isn't the same as building up their morale - cuddling players to build their morale even when their performances are stinking can often backfire into them just not doing enough to win a game. What I mean is sending them out so that when you check the motivation screen (home stats or away stats > view > motivation) it says 'playing with confidence' or 'fired up' or something even better, or at very, very minimum 'playing ok'.

What kind of chances are you creating? One-on-ones statistically favour the goalkeeper. One-on-ones where the striker doesn't have or is unable to create an angle make the chance even more difficult. Having 20 shots from poor positions outside the area doesn't mean you should score more than someone who shoots twice from two yards out into an empty net. Are you creating easy chances (ie two yard tap-ins from crosses into the box) for your strikers to put away?

Offside goals suck. Such is life. If it's happening a lot, bug report it with a PKM in the right part of the forum in case this is really a bug (whether too many bad decisions being made or the match engine not being accurately rendered in 3d) and not just a case of very bad luck with awful officials or even a case of the viewing angle deceiving your eye.

I am able to motivate my players very well, in fact i thought about this yesterday, like even while losing to Chelsea 2-0, 80% of my players were "Fired up", i was even wondering if they ever have a negative motivation? I rarely see a player at most have a "Having a poor game".

I strictly create one-on-ones, i play a very direct Mourinho-style tactic with quick strikers, hence my strikers tend to be assisted through on goal 1on1 with the keeper very often. My strike partnership of di Santo and Djiby Fall in Notts Co used to finish these chances for fun.

As a Tottenham season ticket holder, I can certainly agree with that although Keane misses Pav's chances for him because Pav hardly plays.

I was using Crouch as Targetman and Defoe as poacher, i decided to play with Pav as target man against Newcastle and i just won 6-0, with him scoring a hat trick.

Did you set yourself up as a Sunday League manager while managing Spurs? That could be your problem right there!

Yes, when i started the game, i put it as a Sunday League player past experience. I achieved back to back promotions with Notts, i couldn't change it in between. I did however achieve Continental reputation.

Couple of off topic questions first of all. Santa Cruz, is your first language English? And what is an FB?

Can you give some more information about your tactical choices in that specific screenshot xonnk?

When you guys see a game like this, do you try to analyse it and change your tactical settings in order to create better chances and make more use of your possession?

Regards,

C.

Couple of off topic questions first of all. Santa Cruz, is your first language English? And what is an FB?

I am English and it's my only language, as for my command of it, that's something else entierly.

FB's are fanboys, refering to the people who jump down the throat's of anyone who dares to forward even the slightest criticism of the game construcive or otherwise.

The kind of thing seen above is'nt too out of the ordinary in a one off game but FM is at fault when this happens maybe 4/5 games in a row,as Ive seen in my game. This really is unrealistic despite what the FB's say.

If you've got several matches where you are consistently hitting the woodwork many times, then bug report them and see whether or not this is a bug?

----

From what little the QPR screenshot of match stats shows - 2 completed crosses, 1 clear cut chance, a lot of shots from range, not much in the way of an aerial threat, lots of corners (presumably from the direct balls being cleared into touch) but nothing resulting from them and a fair amount of offsides from when the Spurs strikers have failed to time their runs. QPR also performed better on average on the day.

I have seen players with decent long shot ability hit the woodwork a lot and forcing the keeper into making decent saves in matches where my team wasn't breaking the defence down but the tempo I was telling them to play at meant that they were basically shooting on sight at the goal.

If you've got several matches where you are consistently hitting the woodwork many times, then bug report them and see whether or not this is a bug?

----

From what little the QPR screenshot of match stats shows - 2 completed crosses, 1 clear cut chance, a lot of shots from range, not much in the way of an aerial threat, lots of corners (presumably from the direct balls being cleared into touch) but nothing resulting from them and a fair amount of offsides from when the Spurs strikers have failed to time their runs. QPR also performed better on average on the day.

I have seen players with decent long shot ability hit the woodwork a lot and forcing the keeper into making decent saves in matches where my team wasn't breaking the defence down but the tempo I was telling them to play at meant that they were basically shooting on sight at the goal.

Not necessarily saying it's a bug (not qualified enough to be honest), not just talking about hitting the woodwork either. I've seen over a few years and several games concecutive very one sided games and losing 0-1. Thought this was an accepted problem and had already been patched long ago, it appears not.

Not necessarily saying it's a bug (not qualified enough to be honest), not just talking about hitting the woodwork either. I've seen over a few years and several games concecutive very one sided games and losing 0-1. Thought this was an accepted problem and had already been patched long ago, it appears not.

I have seen it happen, but in isolated matches and with what seemed to me to be a clear cause. There are issues between how the 3d match engine displays situations and the information which is available to 'you' (the player of the game) to be able to diagnose the problem - definitely 100% agree with those who make that point and can understand the frustration, but you can learn to recognise the majority of the main issues.

But if you're getting this repeatedly, then I don't see the harm in flagging it up and asking if it is a genuine bug, or whether the feedback for what you're seeing should be made clearer so that you can identify the issue more clearly. Asking in the Tactics part of the forum is a good place to start if you don't feel it is a bug but one more related to tactics and how the match engine is converting tactical issues into match situations.

I have seen it happen, but in isolated matches and with what seemed to me to be a clear cause. There are issues between how the 3d match engine displays situations and the information which is available to 'you' (the player of the game) to be able to diagnose the problem - definitely 100% agree with those who make that point and can understand the frustration, but you can learn to recognise the majority of the main issues.

But if you're getting this repeatedly, then I don't see the harm in flagging it up and asking if it is a genuine bug, or whether the feedback for what you're seeing should be made clearer so that you can identify the issue more clearly. Asking in the Tactics part of the forum is a good place to start if you don't feel it is a bug but one more related to tactics and how the match engine is converting tactical issues into match situations.

The only reason i haven't done that for this version is, as I said, I thought this was flagged and dealt with in the previous versions. I assume if the issue is back then the dev's surely know and should be fixed in next patch. Which doesn't really address the the worrying fact that this has been sorted in 08 and 09 and is now a problem again in 10.

Archived