Preferred Shirt Numbers

At the beginning of the season you are asked to provide a list of squad numbers, and each player states their preferred number (if they have one).

What effect does ignoring this request do?

For example, two of my players wanted the number 3 shirt - does it have any impact on the game, or is this just cosmetic? (eg will the player who didn;t get their desired number 'sulk'?)

I wouldn't really call it useless, it does the same as in real life, entirely cosmetic and doesn't make a huge difference.

Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo are both players who would have preferred the number 7 when they moved to Real Madrid but ended with with 23 and 9 respectively, and Arshavin wanted 10 when moving to Arsenal, yet none of them have complained about it, despite one of them being famous for being sulky.

It would be unrealistic if players sulked or lowered morale in the game if they weren't given their preferred number, SI have got it spot on.

I wouldn't really call it useless, it does the same as in real life, entirely cosmetic and doesn't make a huge difference.

Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo are both players who would have preferred the number 7 when they moved to Real Madrid but ended with with 23 and 9 respectively, and Arshavin wanted 10 when moving to Arsenal, yet none of them have complained about it, despite one of them being famous for being sulky.

It would be unrealistic if players sulked or lowered morale in the game if they weren't given their preferred number, SI have got it spot on.

Totally Agree

I don't think CRonaldo would have preferred 7 at Real Madrid...

He didn't want 7 at Man Utd but Sir Alex told him of its history and was symbolic at Man Utd.

Maybe he did want 7 but Raul has it, we don't know.

There have been a few example in real life of a big name player coming in and paying the young guy who had the shirt number he wanted for the right to wear the number. I suppose if they added something like that to the game it could help the players like each other, or dislike each other if the younger player refused.

At one point, I had three people wanting the number 1 :p I was like, this is the typical manager decision before every season! Only one person gets the number 1 shirt ;)

I don't think CRonaldo would have preferred 7 at Real Madrid...

He didn't want 7 at Man Utd but Sir Alex told him of its history and was symbolic at Man Utd.

Maybe he did want 7 but Raul has it, we don't know.

He had the brand CR7 copyrighted as far as I know.

If Raul didn't have it I'd be amazed if Ronaldo didn't.

raul is a symbolic figure at real, no one will ever take the no. 7 shirt away from him unless the time comes when he retires.

When he retires they'll probably retire the number 7 as well like Milan did with Maldini's shirt number 3 iirc.

When he retires they'll probably retire the number 7 as well like Milan did with Maldini's shirt number 3 iirc.

They probably can't due to the Spanish squad registration rules. Sevilla weren't allowed to retire Antonio Puerta's number after he died, not even temporarily.

They probably can't due to the Spanish squad registration rules. Sevilla weren't allowed to retire Antonio Puerta's number after he died, not even temporarily.

Thats right. I forgot about the Spanish registration rules:rolleyes:

Aiden Mcgeady's favourite number is 10, but as he is a winger, and given the tradition of the 10 shirt being a strikers, he gets the number 46, 4 and 6 equalling ten. In a superstitious way he accepts this. football is strange with numbers a lot of clubs do not use the number 13.

Aiden Mcgeady's favourite number is 10, but as he is a winger, and given the tradition of the 10 shirt being a strikers, he gets the number 46, 4 and 6 equalling ten. In a superstitious way he accepts this. football is strange with numbers a lot of clubs do not use the number 13.

When Ballack joined Chelsea, Mourinho have him Gallas no.13 which got him offside and he left that summer. Probabley a culmination of other things as well.

I remember when Ballack was given the number 13 shirt Gallas' agent said Gallas would have to leave the club as he had been disrespected. He was temporarily moved to number 3 - threatened to score an OG and was swapped (as well as £5M) for Ashley Cole. I know it might sound a bit sad, but I really enjoy working out which kit numbers to give to the players on FM, especially when I have to replace a key player and have to work out who deserves their nunber. Never given anyone the 25 though, apart from Aguero on 08.

yeah im a chelsea fan, get 25 on all my replica jerseys. It is as good as retired by Chelsea, they haven't used it since he left. I didn't know about players having to pay off others for the shirt number, i suppose some of them most be really superstitious!

i love deciding what numbers to give players and i to like to give a player a number that represents their squad status. If a player has a preferred squad number of 10 i try to give him that number but if someone else fits that number more i give them the number. This season i did:

GK = 1, 13, 30

RB = 2, 12,

LB = 3, 22

CB = 5, 6, 24, 25

RM = 7, 17

LM = 11, 21

CM = 4, 8, 15, 16, 18

ST = 9, 10, 14, 19, 20, 23

i think in game its main purpose is to ensure the ai gives certain squad numbers to players who are known for wearing them, if they move clubs

Very plausible theory. In fact, I think I remember something about unrealistic AI squad numbers in FM in the past. Especially after playing it for 5 seasons or longer.

I'm with Wee Aja. When I have to submit my squad numbers I always give my preferred starting eleven the numbers 1-11.

I think the idea of it being a device to keep AI numbers realistic is most likely, as I've never had a problem. I just give new players the lowest number that's open as jersey numbers mean nothing. I don't have a lot of game time under my belt, but that policy has never caused me problems. Happiness seems to be more related to how much the team wins under you than your numbering policy.

Archived