Adebayor released?!

A 31 year old Adebayor has just been released by Man City on my game eventhough he still has brilliant stats. As a result the newly promoted sides have snapped up Adebayor (along with Deco, Anelka, Riera who were also released on frees) at the start of the season, and are doing brilliantly as a result! Surely the selection of free 30 year old top class players makes it too easy for promoted teams?

And also, at the other end of the scale completely, has anyone noticed that the big clubs sell extremely talented youngsters extremely cheaply? Man Utd have let a few -9 regens go for a couple of million. Vela got sold by Arsenal for £3.5m. Ballotelli was released by Inter. I could go on.

Individual instances of players being released doesn't bother me too much - there are plenty of examples in the real world of both top quality players leaving at then end of their contracts (campbell, owen , mcmanaman, laudrup, kluivert). It's when said player turns up at a 'lesser' team on lower wages than their former club was offering - first team football not withstanding.

As for the Vela thing i've seen this a lot, but again it happens in in the real world - look at upson and bentley leaving arsenal for a couple of million and ending up in the england team a couple of years later.

There are bargains to be had out there for budding wheeler dealers.

Individual instances of players being released doesn't bother me too much - there are plenty of examples in the real world of both top quality players leaving at then end of their contracts (campbell, owen , mcmanaman, laudrup, kluivert). It's when said player turns up at a 'lesser' team on lower wages than their former club was offering - first team football not withstanding.

As for the Vela thing i've seen this a lot, but again it happens in in the real world - look at upson and bentley leaving arsenal for a couple of million and ending up in the england team a couple of years later.

There are bargains to be had out there for budding wheeler dealers.

Yeah it happens in the real world once in a while, but you don't get 5 or 6 very good 30 year olds being released every year, and big clubs don't regularly sell awesome youngsters for a few million...

I've seen quite a lot of older players released. The top Spanish clubs are even worse then the English ones. No top level club under AI control will keep it's player numbers anywhere near those at the start of the game. They keep more sensible player levels even if that is unrealistic.

Chelsea or example in my last game released four youngsters with a PA of -9, and Deco in the first year and then let most of the other promising youngsters go in the second season. Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Man City only have 10-15 players in their reserve teams and half of those are transfer listed. It's been happening every year for a long time in FM, and whilst it is much closer too how a human might manage one of those clubs it's not really how most big clubs operate in the real world. The knock on effect is that the "smaller" clubs get better players on free or cheap transfers, the talent is much more spread out them it should be. FM is kind of a Utopian ideal of how Football should operate in that sense, but I'd prefer it slightly more realistic.

Yeah it happens in the real world once in a while, but you don't get 5 or 6 very good 30 year olds being released every year, and big clubs don't regularly sell awesome youngsters for a few million...

i see what you mean, when you look at the pa and ca of some of the players released you wonder what the game is playing at. the ai seems to want a small squad - possibly determined by the new registration rules limiting it to 25 players. this would explain some of the 30+ foreigners being released, but not the youngsters trained by the club.

does the ai have the opporunity to scope the pa of it's team, or does it rely on staff reports? i know it is easy to dip into genie scout to check on pa, but if you didn't look and just got a scout report on some of these youngsters would the reccommendation be to cash in or not?

we don't know yet how teams in real life will adapt to the new rules. once a player gets to 21+ and needs to be registered will clubs sell them or keep them hanging round to boost the domestic quota?

for example; personally i always keep a home grown back up keeper - they never get a game anyway - and this frees up one space in the registration window. but i don't know what the ai would do it it had say 2 decent foreign keepers. reqistering both would mean 1 less slot available to register a first team player, forcing those on the fringes of the squad into the reserves. if they aren't getting football they may not sign contract extensions and drop in value. but if you knew the pa you'd act differently, sell one of the keepers, register the fringe players and keep them tied into long term contracts - the beauty of forward planning!

i see what you mean, when you look at the pa and ca of some of the players released you wonder what the game is playing at. the ai seems to want a small squad - possibly determined by the new registration rules limiting it to 25 players. this would explain some of the 30+ foreigners being released, but not the youngsters trained by the club.

does the ai have the opporunity to scope the pa of it's team, or does it rely on staff reports? i know it is easy to dip into genie scout to check on pa, but if you didn't look and just got a scout report on some of these youngsters would the reccommendation be to cash in or not?

we don't know yet how teams in real life will adapt to the new rules. once a player gets to 21+ and needs to be registered will clubs sell them or keep them hanging round to boost the domestic quota?

for example; personally i always keep a home grown back up keeper - they never get a game anyway - and this frees up one space in the registration window. but i don't know what the ai would do it it had say 2 decent foreign keepers. reqistering both would mean 1 less slot available to register a first team player, forcing those on the fringes of the squad into the reserves. if they aren't getting football they may not sign contract extensions and drop in value. but if you knew the pa you'd act differently, sell one of the keepers, register the fringe players and keep them tied into long term contracts - the beauty of forward planning!

Yeah good point regarding the new registration rules. I'm still pretty sure SI will look into changing this though. Rooney, Anelka, Deco, Ballack, Riera, Carvalho, Saha, Kuyt (all under 33) are all playing for teams that have been promoted this season or the season before on my game. If this is what the new registration rules will lead to, it could be quite an interesting Premiership!

Yeah good point regarding the new registration rules. I'm still pretty sure SI will look into changing this though. Rooney, Anelka, Deco, Ballack, Riera, Carvalho, Saha, Kuyt (all under 33) are all playing for teams that have been promoted this season or the season before on my game. If this is what the new registration rules will lead to, it could be quite an interesting Premiership!

i certainly hope so - i think the rules were put in there to encourage home grown players into top flight teams at the expense of foreigners, whether they stay in the premier league or move abroad is anyones guess. but the limit on squad size will stop clubs hoarding talent.

Owen goes at the end of every first season on my game.

Loads of players free transferred at 30-32 including Pavlyuchenko, Ballack, Anelka etc. I would understand Pavy, as he never got a game, but what I do have a problem with is the fact nobody has signed him for over a year, yet he is still in the Russia team. If he left, fair enough, but wouldnt he have a line of suitors?

I signed Carlos Vela on a free (which cost me £3m) from Arsenal, he has gone on to be a great player and Arsenal have no top strikers.

My current save is in Dec 2013 and there must be 100 decent pros sitting around on free transfers, despite being only 31/32

Archived