FM will test the mental strengthzzz of your computer!

Hello there,

I'm happy to say I really enjoy the new version of FM, although I find it is way too easy managing any of the big teams.

I started a new save with Taranto in Serie C1/A and managed to gain promotion after my first season thanks to some inspired signings. But here's the thing: It cost me my computer. Or at least one or two components.

Allow me to explain. My less then 2-year old home-built system (I've done this a lot over the years) was the following:

Abit IP35-E

Intel Core Duo 4500

2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400

Samsung HD501LJ 500GB

Radeon HD3850 512MB

Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Everything was fitted in a properly cooled system and I ran at stock speeds. No overclocking.

After a couple of weeks of FM I ran into my first issue three weeks ago, the system failed a boot-up signalling RAM error. This was the day after a very long FM-session the night before. I continued playing with the functional stick of RAM leaving me at 1GB. Then this tuesday after a three-hour FM session I exited the game and was going to watch an episode of whatever. Just when the video started playing I got my first blue screen ever on this particular system signalling another memory issue.

I restarted and windows froze right after entering the desktop. I tried this another few times, but then booted into safe mode and cleared drivers and everything unnecessary from my system. I ran Scandisk, defragmented, ran Spyware and Antivirus checkers but nothing helped. I resorted to hardware testing and found that some of the RAM slots on my motherboard were not functioning properly. Two of them seemed to be fried since I got RAM error at POST when my functional stick of RAM was installed there, but it worked properly in another slot.

My new system runs fine but this incident has left me concerned. It might not be fair to blame FM for my Motherboard failing, but there were two separate incidents that I can directly connect to two separate long sessions with FM. So I'm wondering if FM is really a stress test on your computer? How much strain will a game like this put on your average system? Has anyone had a similar experience?

FM is very resource demanding, but it depends on a lot of factors:

How many leagues you have

Detail level of leagues

How many players you have loaded

How big the database is

IMOFM is not great with anything less than 3 or gig of ram.I had problems with it crashing after every match with 2 gig, upgraded to 4 and no problem sionce, so I'm certainly not suprised it crashed with 1 gig. What does it tell you when you look at the cpu usage chart on the opening page? Is it up near 100%. Your pc is bound to have problems if you run it for long periods near its maximum output.

FM is very resource demanding, but it depends on a lot of factors:

How many leagues you have

Detail level of leagues

How many players you have loaded

How big the database is

IMOFM is not great with anything less than 3 or gig of ram.I had problems with it crashing after every match with 2 gig, upgraded to 4 and no problem sionce, so I'm certainly not suprised it crashed with 1 gig. What does it tell you when you look at the cpu usage chart on the opening page? Is it up near 100%. Your pc is bound to have problems if you run it for long periods near its maximum output.

FM never crashed on me. I don't believe you read my post.

I know a thing or two about hardware and I can guarantee that FM, or any software has anything to do with ure problems or any hardware problem. Sounds like a faulty motherboard or cpu, ram controllers are on cpu. U should take it back to the shop if u still have valid papers.

I know a thing or two about hardware and I can guarantee that FM, or any software has anything to do with ure problems or any hardware problem. Sounds like a faulty motherboard or cpu, ram controllers are on cpu. U should take it back to the shop if u still have valid papers.

WHS. I would be amazed if this wasn't down to bad RAM/Mobo possibly caused by overheating after a long FM session(!)

FM might be the program the killed the ram at that particular time but any other ram intensive software would do the same. No software can be blamed for hardware malfunction. And there is no way software, or not the genuine sw would kill the healthy peace of hardware. See what I mean?

FM might be the program the killed the ram at that particular time but any other ram intensive software would do the same. No software can be blamed for hardware malfunction. And there is no way software, or not the genuine sw would kill the healthy peace of hardware. See what I mean?

Running a memory intensive application for an extended period of time will shorten the lifespan of your RAM. At least compared to NOT running that application. Wouldn't you agree? So no, you can't blame the software entirely. But you cannot exclude it from the cause-effect chain.

Anyway, this wasn't really the point. My post was not about "blaming" FM for destroying my computer, even though I realise when reading it again it actually sounds like I am doing just that. It was a post intended to provoke a discussion about what kind of stress FM exerts on your system.

There is no need to suggest what I should do to sort out the problem I had. Like I said, I have already isolated the issue and sorted it. If anyone in here actually bothered to read my post and focused on the questions at the end instead of coming up with smart-ass remarks then this could have actually gone somewhere. Or not.

Running a memory intensive application for an extended period of time will shorten the lifespan of your RAM. At least compared to NOT running that application. Wouldn't you agree? So no, you can't blame the software entirely. But you cannot exclude it from the cause-effect chain.

Anyway, this wasn't really the point. My post was not about "blaming" FM for destroying my computer, even though I realise when reading it again it actually sounds like I am doing just that. It was a post intended to provoke a discussion about what kind of stress FM exerts on your system.

There is no need to suggest what I should do to sort out the problem I had. Like I said, I have already isolated the issue and sorted it. If anyone in here actually bothered to read my post and focused on the questions at the end instead of coming up with smart-ass remarks then this could have actually gone somewhere. Or not.

Look, like u said, your post seem the way u said it. This type of conversation for me is far from smartassy by any standard. Games in general today will stress ur system. Most of them far more then fm does. To answer ur post the way u said u intended it, even though I think there is not much point to it, everyone who play games on pc is stressing one out. Games are main reason for hardware upgrades today. When would you bye a new pc for anything else besides for gaming. I thought that I should tell u that u can get some varrenty because most of my friends forget that option when having pc older then a year.

Archived